Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver or Houston
Denver 27 55.10%
Houston 22 44.90%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 10:36 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
OP here

I don't know why you guys keep bringing up weather. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT WEATHER. I already said that weather is NOT an important factor to me at all unless it's a catastrophic hurricane (or similar horrendous weather catastrophe) that destroys your residence (I'll be renting an apartment) and all of your personal belongings. Other than a catastrophe, I have no problem with weather. I don't mind humidity. I don't mind snow. I don't mind the freezing cold. I don't mind the sweltering heat.

With all of this being said about weather, I will say that I have a mild fear of spiders, wasps and bees. And I would think that those insects would be likely to be around in Houston's weather. But even this wouldn't be a huge deal breaker for me.

If you want to see my important factors then go back and look at my original post on page 1 of this thread.
I don't know man, flooding in Houston IMO can get really intense and pretty abnormal if you not use to it. The humidity imo is not the worst part of Houston, it's the heavy downpours where the city EASILY floods. I don't think newcomers realize how the rain does have an immediate impact on your experience in Houston. And it's not the idea of your house or apartment flooding (unless you stay on the first floor) but it's getting caught up in the rain coming and going to work, shopping, etc. That gets old quick!

Before I moved to Houston, I never had to worry about flooding EVER. Since moving to Houston, it's something you deal with in some shape form or fashion a couple of times throughout the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 11:32 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
@mkwensky you’ve already admitted that you don’t know much about cultural institutions so I’m not sure why you keep saying Houston’s cultural institutions aren’t that impressive. In terms of performing arts, ”only five cities in the United States have permanent professional resident companies representing each of the most highly esteemed performing arts disciplines: opera, symphony orchestra, ballet, and dramatic theater. Houston is one of them.”

With respect to Hispanic culture infused into the culture of Houston here are excerpts from a NY Times article written last year after the opening of the new MFAH Kinder building:

“In a city where Hispanics now approach 45 percent of the population, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, has spent more than $60 million over the last two decades to build from scratch a collection and research center reflecting the city’s position as a gateway between north and south.

From the standpoint of scholarship and museum presentation, Edward Sullivan, deputy director of the Institute of Fine Arts, said the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, has “created the premier institution internationally for the exhibition and promotion of interest in Latin American art.”

Only a few institutions have collected Latino work, notably El Museo del Barrio (since 1969). In 2017, the Whitney Museum of American Art hired Marcela Guerrero, who trained under Ms. Ramírez, as its first curator to develop a program of Latino art. But no other institution has consistently collected as many Latino works as M.F.A.H., as it is known, numbering about 400 by 71 artists, alongside more than 825 Latin American artworks by 211 artists.”

You left Houston for Denver for some reason but I’m 100% sure it had nothing to do with cultural institutions.
Nice of you to quote the Houston Theater Company's press. https://www.amli.com/blog/houstons-t...s-largest-city
How much did you get for that? How do I sign up?

I tried to find the citation for the 5 cities claim but couldn't find it. If you have other sources than what I just posted perhaps you can reference that?

I didn't say I don't know much about all cultural institutions, just opera and ballet. I go to symphonies and plays occasionally, which I got to do in both cities, without noticing much difference.
In terms of theater there aren't much difference between Houston, Denver or other cities that aren't New York of Chicago. You can see Broadway shows years after their first release, and not with the original cast. Anything else is splitting hairs.
I was always the art and science museum member in each of the cities I lived in so I don't need to read press releases to have my own opinion.

Do you have anything other than Latino culture to post?
I can post stuff about Native American cultural stuff in Denver but then I would know that's cherry picking.

Answer me this: is this response based on a difference between opinion based on your own appreciation of Houston's art scene, contrasted with those of other cities, or is it more motivated by boosterism.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
But you did downplay Houston's cultural offerings, though. You did it again by "othering" Houston's notable Black and Brown institutions that you know Denver does not have in the former, as if they are not a part of Houston's culture.
I'm not sure mentioning the culture means I'm othering them or claiming they're not part of the city's culture. I probably went to more of those cultural events than you did when I lived in Houston.
And I brought up a bunch of other things like comedy and geek fandom, so I'm not sure why you chose to zoom in on that.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I want to leave Dallas because I've lived in Dallas for nearly 10 years (live with my dad) and want to move somewhere new and be on my own away from my dad/family. I don't mind Dallas but I've grown kind of bored with it and want to live somewhere new while I'm relatively young. I'm also newly sober and most of my friends in DFW are big drinkers and I'd really like to distance myself away from that life and start sober and fresh in a new city.

As far as diversity, I'd kind of prefer a diverse place but it's not an important factor to me at all. With that being said, now that I'm newly sober I don't frequent bars anymore so I can see restaurants replacing bars for me. So having a diverse variety of restaurants would be good.
I feel that you just want to take a step toward independence but don't necessarily want to be too far away from your family and support system. Houston might make more sense. The driving distance is half as long as Denver's, and safer. You don't want to drive across the Raton Pass every time you go home.

You do talk about sobriety a lot. I know a few teetotalers who would go out and either drink non-alcoholic beer or just hold a bottle and not drink it. You don't really need to lead with that.
I would recommend using Meetup to build your social life or meet women. Pick the interest based ones like Film or Books, not the ones for single people. I know of a few people met their partners in book clubs or Gaming groups. There's an Urban Trekking group that usually has single thirtiesh women in their hikes too.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:04 PM

647 posts, read 1,522,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I don't know man, flooding in Houston IMO can get really intense and pretty abnormal if you not use to it. The humidity imo is not the worst part of Houston, it's the heavy downpours where the city EASILY floods. I don't think newcomers realize how the rain does have an immediate impact on your experience in Houston. And it's not the idea of your house or apartment flooding (unless you stay on the first floor) but it's getting caught up in the rain coming and going to work, shopping, etc. That gets old quick!

Before I moved to Houston, I never had to worry about flooding EVER. Since moving to Houston, it's something you deal with in some shape form or fashion a couple of times throughout the year.
How often does this happen? If it's a couple times a year then I'm fine with it but if it's a couple times a month or more then that would be bothersome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I feel that you just want to take a step toward independence but don't necessarily want to be too far away from your family and support system. Houston might make more sense. The driving distance is half as long as Denver's, and safer. You don't want to drive across the Raton Pass every time you go home.
I honestly won't be coming back home to Dallas that often if at all. And another factor that I didn't mention is I'd like to live somewhere that doesn't have bad traffic. Houston has even worse traffic than Dallas. When I visited Denver the traffic wasn't bad at all. I remember Denver's rush hour traffic not even being that bad.

Old 07-08-2022, 12:03 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
I honestly won't be coming back home to Dallas that often if at all. And another factor that I didn't mention is I'd like to live somewhere that doesn't have bad traffic. Houston has even worse traffic than Dallas. When I visited Denver the traffic wasn't bad at all. I remember Denver's rush hour traffic not even being that bad.
Lol don't plan on that. It may not be bumper to bumper I-10 at 9pm on Sunday type bad but Denver's rush hour is just as bad as every city in the country. And drive times can double in heavy snow.

Old 07-08-2022, 06:16 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
How often does this happen? If it's a couple times a year then I'm fine with it but if it's a couple times a month or more then that would be bothersome.

Literally just flooded in downtown Houston yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KGWOrBHD_JI

Mind you Houston was under a heat advisory the same day. "Luckily" this quick heavy downpour was mostly confined to downtown. But it did push my plans back an hour or so since I was heading in that direction around the time the rain started to come down.

The thing about Houston is, it doesn't flood every month but when it's that time of the year it can get real hectic. It doesn't flood everywhere majority of the time but often when it rains it's flooding SOMEWHERE.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:03 AM

647 posts, read 1,522,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lol don't plan on that. It may not be bumper to bumper I-10 at 9pm on Sunday type bad but Denver's rush hour is just as bad as every city in the country. And drive times can double in heavy snow.
Yeah but in Denver the traffic is never so bad that it's going to take 1-2 hours to get somewhere in the same city like it does in Dallas and Houston, right? Plus the couple of times that I had to commute in Denver's rush hour it wasn't bad at all, the traffic actually moved consistently unlike in Dallas/Houston where you just sit there without moving.

Last edited by simon22; 07-08-2022 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-08-2022, 11:26 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Yeah but in Denver the traffic is never so bad that it's going to take 1-2 hours to get somewhere in the same city like it does in Dallas and Houston, right? Plus the couple of times that I had to commute in Denver's rush hour it wasn't bad at all, the traffic actually moved consistently unlike in Dallas/Houston where you just sit there without moving.
Houston is twice as large as Denver so if you're going from The Woodlands to League City in rush hour, there is no equivalent. But I used to commute from south Denver, just north of Englewood to near Montbello and it was about an hour during rush hour. My commute from Lakewood to Boulder was 1.5 hours in heavy snow, off peak times. It's not like this is Beaumont level traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City