Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 11:07 AM

10,074 posts, read 14,458,372 times

Advertisements

I started the thread for the full service grocery stores in US City downtowns, and it led me to thinking that the presence or lack of a full service grocery store downtown, is largely tied to downtown perm resident population numbers for each city.

So I did a little searching online, and found a bit of information, but it is a few years old, and the details are spread out thinly.

This lays out some city residential downtown population numbers, and many are very surprising. These numbers are based on the status, as of 2017:

https://iamemenhiser.com/2017/01/08/...ation-by-city/

Some takeaways--

*Memphis and Detroit have very strong downtown residential populations, bucking the perception that the cities are desolate, crime ridden and scary downtown. Quite the opposite.
Both have full service grocery stores and are growing/gentrifying well, blending tourism and residential downtown very well.

*Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, Jacksonville, Salt Lake City, Tampa and Louisville have shockingly very LOW residents downtown. Based on the 2017 numbers, it's no wonder these downtowns are lacking basic amenities--hardly anyone lives there permanently. Hopefully the numbers have changed dramatically for some of them.

*Philadelphia, Chicago, Miami, Seattle, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Denver, all have very strong residential populations, leading to bustling and vibrant downtowns.

*Orlando was a surprise for me! Wow, amazing residential numbers downtown.

*Austin and Nashville's numbers have skyrocketed since 2017, and will double or triple by the 2030s, easily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 11:15 AM

8,869 posts, read 6,882,561 times
It's a great topic, but I'd suggest radius population or something more standardized.

As the source says, his data is apples to oranges. Some are tiny areas and some are gigantic. He doesn't provide maps or square mileage, so it's hard to even guess what the numbers represent.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:43 AM

6,697 posts, read 9,954,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I started the thread for the full service grocery stores in US City downtowns, and it led me to thinking that the presence or lack of a full service grocery store downtown, is largely tied to downtown perm resident population numbers for each city.

So I did a little searching online, and found a bit of information, but it is a few years old, and the details are spread out thinly.

This lays out some city residential downtown population numbers, and many are very surprising. These numbers are based on the status, as of 2017:

https://iamemenhiser.com/2017/01/08/...ation-by-city/

Some takeaways--

*Memphis and Detroit have very strong downtown residential populations, bucking the perception that the cities are desolate, crime ridden and scary downtown. Quite the opposite.
Both have full service grocery stores and are growing/gentrifying well, blending tourism and residential downtown very well.

*Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, Jacksonville, Salt Lake City, Tampa and Louisville have shockingly very LOW residents downtown. Based on the 2017 numbers, it's no wonder these downtowns are lacking basic amenities--hardly anyone lives there permanently. Hopefully the numbers have changed dramatically for some of them.

*Philadelphia, Chicago, Miami, Seattle, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Denver, all have very strong residential populations, leading to bustling and vibrant downtowns.

*Orlando was a surprise for me! Wow, amazing residential numbers downtown.

*Austin and Nashville's numbers have skyrocketed since 2017, and will double or triple by the 2030s, easily
Dallas has about 15,000 people in Downtown. Downtown Dallas is only 1.4 sq mi. It’s expected to double in population in the next 5 years with all the projects planned or U/C.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:52 AM

8,869 posts, read 6,882,561 times
Wouldn't that growth include Uptown, which would expand the square mileage quite a bit?

Old 07-06-2022, 11:53 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,238,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's a great topic, but I'd suggest radius population or something more standardized.

As the source says, his data is apples to oranges. Some are tiny areas and some are gigantic. He doesn't provide maps or square mileage, so it's hard to even guess what the numbers represent.
agreed. for my city (Birmingham), just using the 2020 Census Demographic Data Map Viewer to select certain census tracts, i get at least 7,000 residents (and possibly 10,000 depending how generous you want to be with the definition of "downtown".

(using the same method, Memphis is more in the 10-12,000 range as opposed to 24,000).

Old 07-06-2022, 11:53 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,856,145 times
https://downtownraleigh.org/sod-2021

As of last year, Downtown Raleigh stood a little over 12,000 people in 1.18 sq miles. A 1-mile radius got you to 21,000.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:02 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,954,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Wouldn't that growth include Uptown, which would expand the square mileage quite a bit?
Nope, Uptown is 591.8 acres and is a different submarket. It’s very dense given its small size. It has a slightly higher population than Downtown (Uptown pop. Q3 2019 17,064) . It doesn’t include Victory Park (where the American Airlines Center is) and the Harwood District. They’re different areas even though they’re right next to Uptown. Can’t even tell the difference honestly. Only the signs are pretty much the only way of knowing.

Source from 2019: http://uptowndallas.net/assets/Uptow...Study-2019.pdf

Here’s the quote from The Dallas Business Journal posted in May 2022 (free article)

America's new mainstreets: Downtown Dallas

Quote:
Today we have almost 15,000 residents in Downtown. It will be twice that in five years with everything that’s happening. The growth is phenomenal, and I don’t see anything getting in the way of it right now.
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...wn-dallas.html

Mentions Uptown too.

Quote:
JONAS: The pedestrian experience is totally different. Even in these new urban neighborhoods, it’s not close to the same thing. Even Uptown is not a good example of a real pedestrian-oriented urban neighborhood. Great buildings, phenomenal real estate, but not a pedestrian environment that rivals great pedestrian environments. Downtown is the only one that really can be that.
EDIT: BTW downtown is the fastest growing part of Dallas.
Victory Park is 75 acres
Harwood District is 19 city blocks

Downtown + Uptown = 2.5 sq mi.

A combined population of roughly 32,000 or so

Last edited by Dallaz; 07-06-2022 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-06-2022, 12:03 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
agreed. for my city (Birmingham), just using the 2020 Census Demographic Data Map Viewer to select certain census tracts, i get at least 7,000 residents (and possibly 10,000 depending how generous you want to be with the definition of "downtown".

(using the same method, Memphis is more in the 10-12,000 range as opposed to 24,000).
This is a fantastic tool. Thanks for sharing! Wish they had data for income, too.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:14 PM

461 posts, read 352,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post

You beat me to it! I was going to recommend this as well. Seems a bit more official, some of these numbers I am not certain of in the OP. The census tool isn’t a perfect metric since census tracts don’t follow neighborhood boundaries exactly, but it should still give a decent idea. People can post populations and total area to compare at least.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:44 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Using that tool (which btw, I love) has Downtown Houston at 17,138 and Downtown Dallas is harder but comes in at 15,706. I don't know how much of DTH is the jail though but DTH definitely has more than 3000 and is closer to 10k. Now both does definitely need to improve.

Last edited by Spade; 07-06-2022 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City