Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these five states have the strongest identity?
Iowa 32 40.00%
Kansas 23 28.75%
Nebraska 8 10.00%
North Dakota 2 2.50%
South Dakota 15 18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 06:29 PM

613 posts, read 327,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What are middle America values?
Just going by the stereotype.

Middle Class, suburban to rural, loves football, hard working, honest, politically moderate, community oriented, probably drives a Ford F-150.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 06:31 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Iowa, because of the notoriety with the caucuses for presidential election cycles, rural row crop agriculture, closer to the center of gravity in the Midwest without being much more isolated like the Great Plains, John Deere presence, two university cities of size, political moderation(historically), Des Moines, and bordering the Mississippi and Missouri rivers.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:53 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I picked South Dakota. It has one of America's iconic landmarks Mt Rushmore, the allure of the Black Hills and Badlands, and images of bison roaming the rolling grasslands. It's a state that's fairly easy to conjure up visual images of in the mind. Kansas and Nebraska, not so much.

For cities among these states, I'd say Omaha would have the most recognition. KC is more Missouri than Kansas which I envision having very vanilla suburbs on the Kansas side. Iowa is pretty and bucolic in its small towns but it doesn't stand out to me all that much.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-11-2022 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-11-2022, 08:11 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Americans suck at geography. I don’t think Mount Rushmore is ingrained with South Dakota for the average American.

If someone says Kansas, people immediately think tornadoes and basketball and Smallville and Kansas City. That last one feels like a cheat as it’s KCMO and not KCKS people think of. But again, we suck at geography and strong identification need not be accurate identification.

I’ve decide I’m going to place Iowa second. Caucuses and corn are strong identity, but people would likely struggle beyond that. Wizard of Oz trumps Field of Dreams.

If this was the 90s, Nebraska might have a stronger claim here. Football was king and the Oracle of Omaha was everywhere.

South Dakota is visited by people, and North Dakota is usually skipped because no one can think of a reason to go. So it goes last.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:37 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Iowa is unquestionably a true "heartland" state from border to border, and is surrounded by Midwest territory. The four other states have more quasi-Western influence, as both precipitation and population density drop off going towards their west.

As a lifetime Sunbelt resident, I don't find this region of the country "boring" at all - it's very different from the South and plays an important role keeping the nation and world nourished. Some of the states' politicians are not really a net plus for the country, but that is true of all regions.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:39 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Maybe the Dakotas just because they sort of have a distinct accent, and they're such small states that I could see some of the residents having a perverse pride about that ("yeah, I'm from that state nobody is from!"). I've met people from e.g. Rhode Island and Alaska like that.

It's a good question, I'm not really sure and they all have some of the weakest identities among US states.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:50 PM

14,169 posts, read 9,058,487 times
I'm a native of the city everyone east of the Appalachian mountain chain thinks is in Kansas.

And nearly half of it is. I'm talking metro now: Kansas City, Mo., which has been called "the capital of a state it's not even in," is about three times the size of Kansas City, Kan. — we're not talking a Minneapolis/St. Paul pair of equals here. But 40 percent of the metro population lives in Kansas: 904,771 people as of the 2020 census, making the Kansas side of the Kansas City metro area the largest urban area in Kansas. (That figure represents almost one in every three Kansans, by the way.)

I went for the state next door to the one I grew up in for much the same reason everyone else who's picked it has: It has that strong "Wizard of Oz" connection (I know I'm "not in Kansas anymore"), and while Iowa may be the first fight in the battle to pick the President, Kansas is the only one of these five states to have actually produced one (Dwight Eisenhower).

It's also the only one of the five to have a rock band named for it. (The cover of its first album had a painting of this guy, who made his reputation in the "Bleeding Kansas" fight over whether it would be admitted as a slave state or a free one. The John Stuart Curry painting made him out to look something like Moses leading his people out of bondage.)

Not to knock Iowa, which has more charm than the "flyover country" folks know, or Nebraska, home to Kansas City's little brother (and another city that, like KC, punches above its weight). But I'd say all this trumps "Field of Dreams," the Iowa caucuses and Warren Buffett too.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 07-11-2022 at 10:00 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 07:51 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Default Which of these states...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm a native of the city everyone east of the Appalachian mountain chain thinks is in Kansas.

And nearly half of it is. I'm talking metro now: Kansas City, Mo., which has been called "the capital of a state it's not even in," is about three times the size of Kansas City, Kan. — we're not talking a Minneapolis/St. Paul pair of equals here. But 40 percent of the metro population lives in Kansas: 904,771 people as of the 2020 census, making the Kansas side of the Kansas City metro area the largest urban area in Kansas. (That figure represents almost one in every three Kansans, by the way.)

I went for the state next door to the one I grew up in for much the same reason everyone else who's picked it has: It has that strong "Wizard of Oz" connection (I know I'm "not in Kansas anymore"), and while Iowa may be the first fight in the battle to pick the President, Kansas is the only one of these five states to have actually produced one (Dwight Eisenhower).

It's also the only one of the five to have a rock band named for it. (The cover of its first album had a painting of this guy, who made his reputation in the "Bleeding Kansas" fight over whether it would be admitted as a slave state or a free one. The John Stuart Curry painting made him out to look something like Moses leading his people out of bondage.)

Not to knock Iowa, which has more charm than the "flyover country" folks know, or Nebraska, home to Kansas City's little brother (and another city that, like KC, punches above its weight). But I'd say all this trumps "Field of Dreams," the Iowa caucuses and Warren Buffett too.
Oops!

Herbert Hoover is left caught looking from the outside? Lol!

Old 07-12-2022, 07:58 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Just going by the stereotype.

Middle Class, suburban to rural, loves football, hard working, honest, politically moderate, community oriented, probably drives a Ford F-150.
I feel seen.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:01 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
I do think Kansas is more recognized as the quintessential Middle America state than any of the others. It has more pop culture references.

Then it's Iowa, Nebraska, and the Dakotas. In that order. All of these states do exemplify a lot of what people see as the defining examples of what Middle America means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City