Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these five states have the strongest identity?
Iowa 32 40.00%
Kansas 23 28.75%
Nebraska 8 10.00%
North Dakota 2 2.50%
South Dakota 15 18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 02:04 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,376,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr88 View Post
When most people think of the midwest, they think Kansas.
Kansas has a few things that are nice about it(i.e. Lawrence, KS, and some of the other towns aren't bad like Hays, Salina, and Manhattan), and some small regions that are nice too like the Flint Hills. That all said, I just like South Dakota more myself. And yes I'm aware of the band Kansas(to whatever other poster mentioned them), but I'm thinking of this thread more like as a 'what state stands out the most, as far as possible things to do if you were to visit that state?' thread. Same with also being aware of Slipknot, being from Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 02:55 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Hmmm. Field of Dreams vs. Wizard of Oz. I'm thinking Iowa, and not just because I have more family from there. Actually I've visited family in both.

They're both synonymous with agriculture of the staples variety. Iowa also (historically) has a more pragmatic profile vs. the craziness associated with Kansas.

The other three are a mix of agriculture and more natural areas, which is good but also complicates their brands.

Old 07-24-2022, 03:58 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Kansas has a few things that are nice about it(i.e. Lawrence, KS, and some of the other towns aren't bad like Hays, Salina, and Manhattan), and some small regions that are nice too like the Flint Hills. That all said, I just like South Dakota more myself. And yes I'm aware of the band Kansas(to whatever other poster mentioned them), but I'm thinking of this thread more like as a 'what state stands out the most, as far as possible things to do if you were to visit that state?' thread. Same with also being aware of Slipknot, being from Iowa.
That's a great question, and all five states have strong entries in that department (though for uniqueness, I'd say the Field of Dreams tops them all, with Mount Rushmore a runner-up — there are some other memorials to famous men carved into mountains, while the ballfield stands alone), but that's not what I think of when I hear the word "identity."

That word IMO means "What image(s) pop up or come to mind when one mentions the state?" or "What word or words would one use to describe the state if you were put to the test of describing it in, say, five words or less?"

For instance, there are no physical ties to or relics of Dorothy's home or anything else in "The Wizard of Oz" actually located in Kansas — Dorothy's ruby slippers are in the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington, but that's it; you can't tour anything Oz-related in Kansas the way you can actually see the Field of Dreams, and MLB plays at least one game each year on it. But look how many people mentioned that movie in this poll and cited it as a strong part of Kansas' identity.

Old 07-24-2022, 04:14 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

For instance, there are no physical ties to or relics of Dorothy's home or anything else in "The Wizard of Oz" actually located in Kansas — Dorothy's ruby slippers are in the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington, but that's it; you can't tour anything Oz-related in Kansas the way you can actually see the Field of Dreams, and MLB plays at least one game each year on it. But look how many people mentioned that movie in this poll and cited it as a strong part of Kansas' identity.
This may be a generational thing. Field of Dreams was a big movie. Then the field and now the competitive field have taken on a life of their own.

But The Wizard of Oz was absolutely the most iconic move of all time for people over 50. The show was a big deal for really old people who saw it when it first came out. Then for people who are a bit younger than that...

We all remember that the Wizard of Oz was shown one time every year. In February. It was Super Bowl Sunday before there was a Super Bowl. Every kid in America eagerly awaited that magical Sunday night when the Wizard of Oz aired.

It would seem strange to younger folks who came after the advent of Cable TV. But for Baby Boomers and older. The Wizard of Oz was a way bigger deal than Field of Dreams.

And you are wrong about Oz sites in Kansas. There is an Oz museum in Wamego, KS and you can see Dorothy's house with another Oz World amusement park in Liberal, KS. Sedan, KS has a yellow brick road. There are other Oz related festivals around the state during each year as well.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:50 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

And you are wrong about Oz sites in Kansas. There is an Oz museum in Wamego, KS and you can see Dorothy's house with another Oz World amusement park in Liberal, KS. Sedan, KS has a yellow brick road. There are other Oz related festivals around the state during each year as well.
I stand corrected, and somehow, these didn't register growing up.

Liberal I associate with the annual Shrove Tuesday (aka Fat Tuesday) pancake race down the main street.

I guess several places in Kansas can claim her because the movie doesn't specify where in Kansas she lived — just that it was on a farm.

Before I see any of these, however, I will probably make it to Nicodemus first. That's a remnant of a bit of history that AFAIK also distinguishes Kansas from the other four states. Those who know what an "Exoduster" is should know about this place. Kansas wasn't the only state they settled in, but it is the only one of these five they went to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City