Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 08:47 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

The NC Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill), Huntsville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 08:59 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
DFW. You would have thought Kansas City would have been DFW, but Dallas had some very smart business leaders earlier on. Fort Worth kind of went along for the ride. There really isnt a reason for DFW to be as big as it is closing in on 8M people but it cemented itself due to great business decisions and marketing.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:19 PM

676 posts, read 493,155 times
Charlotte.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:33 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
Can't believe only one other person mentioned Austin. It definitely benefits from being in Texas, but to have a cultural profile that currently outshines the three larger metros in the state is something no other city in America does.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:07 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Is Boston considered an independent city? Suffolk County exists on paper only, correct?
County government in Massachusetts is extremely weak. All Massachusetts cities and towns are autonomous. Counties have no taxation. The state organizes some things along County lines like the court system but the money is coming from the state.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:36 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Can't believe only one other person mentioned Austin. It definitely benefits from being in Texas, but to have a cultural profile that currently outshines the three larger metros in the state is something no other city in America does.
Because even though Austin might be more popular (I wouldn't say it's profile is larger overall though), it is appropriate for it's size given it's the capital of the second largest state in the US, has the state's largest university + all the government jobs, as several military installations in nearby cities, and is in a scenic area of the country, so Austin's growth isn't surprising.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:15 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Because even though Austin might be more popular (I wouldn't say it's profile is larger overall though), it is appropriate for it's size given it's the capital of the second largest state in the US, has the state's largest university + all the government jobs, as several military installations in nearby cities, and is in a scenic area of the country, so Austin's growth isn't surprising.
Ok but all of that has been true for ages, yet it's only over the past few decades that Austin's popularity has started to almost eclipse the rest of the triangle -- and none of those things would be directly responsible for it having the "cool" reputation with the best downtown and nightlife, since the other cities in the state could have accomplished some form of that if they cared to.

It's growing at the highest rate and many people still swear they would never live anywhere else in Texas. Whatever the reasons, I think it qualifies as an overachiever being only the 4th largest in the state.

And honestly I don't consider Austin to be that scenic when you consider every US city. I think they take better care of what they have than the rest of the state does.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:17 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,742,373 times
Atlanta hosted an Olympics with barely 3 million in its metro. We've always tried to be a more important city than we've seemed.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:29 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Boston was a top 5 American city since forever.
Before I visited Boston, I didn't get the hype, but Boston was a vibe. I have it as my favorite Northeastern city at this point. Top 3 favorite overall.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:35 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
But none of those things by themselves are why Austin is experiencing breakneck growth. The city's leaders made a deliberate decision decades ago to harness UT's advantages to carve out a tech-centric economic niche that would differentiate it from the state's other major cities, and it was long a place that prided itself on its "weirdness" or counter culture. It was that marriage of economic success and cultural uniqueness that made it what it has become today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City