Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More scenic
PA/NJ 22 25.58%
VA/MD/DE 64 74.42%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 04:53 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, something I'd recommend anyone passing through New Jersey do if they get a chance is head into New York State via I-287 rather than the Hudson River crossings.

The last section of the beltway around Greater New York to be completed (in the late 1980s) hugs the side of a mountain. Look down into the valley next to the highway and you'll swear you're looking at a New England town.

Nothing like that at all in western Maryland.
This. I remember when 287 was completed in NJ, it was a huge deal as an alternate route for not only the NY Metro area, but the entire Northeast. Everyone going from NJ, into NYC and either Upstate or New England (or vice versa) could now avoid the more urban, ugly, gridlocked highways closer to NYC for the bucolic, gorgeous rolling hills and mountains of Northern NJ. Over the years I've heard more than a few people from VA to MA comment on what a blessing the construction of 287 was when coming through the NYC area.

And yes, that part of Northern NJ has always been somewhat of an undiscovered gem . I am admittedly biased as I am born and raised right there but this area has always been like this. As you drive North from Morris County, briefly into Passaic County and then into the northern corner of Bergen County (Franklin Lakes and Mahwah) which is where you hit the state line and cross into NYS at Suffern (Rockland County, NY). The Ramapo Mountains provide a gorgeous backdrop (This area also has lots of striking, jagged rock zones as you drive through which add to the natural beauty). It has always had what I would call a unique Northern NJ/Hudson Valley/New England feel to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 07:43 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, something I'd recommend anyone passing through New Jersey do if they get a chance is head into New York State via I-287 rather than the Hudson River crossings.

The last section of the beltway around Greater New York to be completed (in the late 1980s) hugs the side of a mountain. Look down into the valley next to the highway and you'll swear you're looking at a New England town.

Nothing like that at all in western Maryland.
I take this way home to New England all the time, it is relaly a nice drive.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0264...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0988...7i16384!8i8192

Old 02-28-2023, 11:51 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
On I-287 beyond Mahwah for the new bridge over the Hudson, I'm assuming everyone still calls it the Tappan Zee bridge and not the Cuomo Bridge? The new signage indicates Gov. Alphabet Soup + Cuomo bridge, and I'm like yeah whatever.. it's still the Tappan Zee right?

Old 02-28-2023, 11:59 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
On I-287 beyond Mahwah for the new bridge over the Hudson, I'm assuming everyone still calls it the Tappan Zee bridge and not the Cuomo Bridge? The new signage indicates Gov. Alphabet Soup + Cuomo bridge, and I'm like yeah whatever.. it's still the Tappan Zee right?
Haha yea, damn straight it's still the Tappan Zee, and always will be!

Old 02-28-2023, 09:18 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
IDK I do feel like Shenandoah park is a bit more scenic than the mountains in PA. But this is not to sell the PA mountains short in any way.
Yeah, I think they are just a bit different. Virginia's ridge mountains are a bit higher with a more craggy appearance. PA has lot of smooth flap ridgelines. The elevations arent dramatically different and nobody would mistake the Blue Ridge for the Alps. But VA mountains have more of the stereotypical rugged mountain feel. While PAs mountains can feel a little more like giant hills.

Where PA excels is the gorges and river valleys of the Appalachian plateau. There really isn't anything like Lehigh Gorge, Pine Creek Gorge in VA. Although there are vast gorges just over the border in WV.

All in all, I go back and forth. VA is more spectacular. But, pretty much the entire state of PA is hills/mountains, while VA is really only hilly/mountainous in the western 3rd.

Old 03-01-2023, 02:10 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, I think they are just a bit different. Virginia's ridge mountains are a bit higher with a more craggy appearance. PA has lot of smooth flap ridgelines. The elevations arent dramatically different and nobody would mistake the Blue Ridge for the Alps. But VA mountains have more of the stereotypical rugged mountain feel. While PAs mountains can feel a little more like giant hills.

Where PA excels is the gorges and river valleys of the Appalachian plateau. There really isn't anything like Lehigh Gorge, Pine Creek Gorge in VA. Although there are vast gorges just over the border in WV.

All in all, I go back and forth. VA is more spectacular. But, pretty much the entire state of PA is hills/mountains, while VA is really only hilly/mountainous in the western 3rd.
The mountain ranges in Pennsylvania look rather striking in a satellite image.

By the way, the part of the Appalachian Plateau that's labeled is the most extreme terrain in Pennsylvania, which is why it's so desolate. There's no easy way in or out. The valleys and gorges are often more than 1,000' deep, and are prone to rock slides. Drive PA 120 from Ridgway to Lock Haven, and the road might be reduced to one lane in some areas due to rock slides. Drive PA 144 from Snow Shoe to Renovo, and you'll see virtually zero evidence of human civilization.

Old 03-01-2023, 06:38 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
PA has a lot of mountains, but VA's are objectively bigger.

VA has 103 mountains with prominence over 1,000 feet, PA has 23. VA's highest prominence is 2,835 feet, PA's is 1,449. PA's biggest mountain would rank 24th in VA.

Qualitatively, there aren't really mountains like Hakwbill or Old Rag in VA.

List of VA's 1000 foot mountains-
https://peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid...u=0&pt=avg&w=0
List of PA's 1000 foot mountains-
https://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx...&pt=notset&w=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City