Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 09:41 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Atlanta is much prettier than Dallas... except... the part of Dallas starting at Uptown, through Park Cities and up to about the LBJ freeway. That part of Dallas is idyllic. I love the treelined streets and pretty houses. I also love that there are very few big streets cutting through that area and minimal sprawl, which the city seems to have brushed off to the sides (thank God!). I think Uptown Dallas might be prettier than Midtown Atlanta in that Midtown is mainly along a single street whereas Uptown Dallas feels more like a quieter 3-dimensional neighborhood. I stand to be corrected on that, however.
It's worth visiting a google aerial view 3D on this one.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Up...!4d-96.7983774

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Up...!4d-96.7983774

I've always enjoyed this particular neighborhood comparison, tbh as it shows the difference in trade offs in how a non-Downtown urban neighborhood is built out.

As linear as Atlanta's skyline has been it's high intensity growth is wider than 1 street throughout Midtown by a decent bit. It's 8 or 9 blocks wide at the center of its core district and CBD. It's also got a bit more inside it. Midtown Atlanta has more in office space and it forms around it's own core near Colony Square, rather than mostly built to the South as a continuation of the Downtown CBD. This makes it more as it's own cohesive business district center on its own.

The low-to-midrise residential dominated by taller townhomes and 5on1s is probably more continuous in Uptown Dallas over a larger area leading away from from the CBD portion of Uptown adjacent to Downtown, whereas Midtown Atlanta has it's own business core detached from Downtown and core with more-impact uses and fewer new urbanism low rises. One effect of this is Uptown is dominated by being mostly residential over a majority of its continuous northward stretch.

In terms of continuous new-urbanism residential tree lined streets, I can -definitely- see your point.

However, in terms of 3-D, I'd say Midtown is much more in terms of different types of properties and housing styles within the district. It has a greater mix to it.

I'd also add most of Atlanta's residential new urbanism neighborhood districts are often broken up to smaller narrower corridors hemmed in by historically protected SFHs. Atlanta doesn't have that one new urban residential housing type bunched together in the same place continuously on that scale.

Atlanta has places like the Beltline and West Midtown, but they are narrow corridors and Midtown isn't really so much as a new urbanism residential district, as its own CBD.

In contrast Atlanta has these districts of higher intense land uses than the lowrise new urbanisn resiential environments in places like Buckhead and Midtown, but they share a district with more hotels, more offices, etc... They build up so much, because they're hemmed in by historically protected SFH neighborhoods with well connected NIMBYs the encircle them.

Midtown Atlanta's rental office market actually rival's Downtown Atlanta's market. This is something that frequently goes missed by people from outside the Atlanta area.

Now if you look at the area in Atlanta between Midtown and Buckhead there is very much a linear 1 street (peachtree) growth of residential condos between the two districts.... in the most literal way. It is quite unusual.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:40 AM

271 posts, read 302,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
For those not in the know, a majority of the schools in the northern crescent of ATL are good to great. Not saying they are better or worse than Dallas' schools. Just highlighting that many not from the area don't realize how well the schools perform inside of I75 and I85 in the north metro.

As for crime, I don't know what the stats say. But I'm very crime averse, and Midtown and Buckhead have always felt extremely safe to me. Once again, that statement wasn't aimed at Dallas, just to say that I've not felt less safe across the Atlanta metro than in other large cities.
Agreed re: public schools, as Johns Creek, Alpharetta, East Cobb, Suwanee, Cumming etc. all have excellent public schools.

Georgia also has the hope scholarship, which was something I was unaware of before moving to this state. It would be amazing if my children could meet the requirements and attend Georgia Tech-- with very little out of pocket $ from me.

I think the stats show that Atlanta is probably a little less safe compared to Dallas, but we live in the burbs. I work in Buckhead almost daily and don't feel unsafe at all. I would also take the Marta train without hesitation during all operating hours-- but probably wouldn't recommend that to everyone.

From what I remember, traffic in Dallas is pretty bad. Atlanta is bad as well, and probably is a bit worse than Dallas due to the terrain and lack of a grid system/freeway loop(s) that encircle the metro.

Honestly, Buckhead/Tuxedo Park vs. University Park etc. are probably not much different day to day. In the same way that Frisco/Plano/Allen are probably not much different than Alpharetta/Johns Creek/Suwanee.

But I'm a suburban dad so I can't really speak to where the young & cool kids live or the "urban/walkable" lifestyle.

Both great cities/metros though!
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City