Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 06:58 AM

402 posts, read 369,317 times

Advertisements

Basing your choice on these five areas, which metro would you suggest is best for professionals 35 and under seeking professional growth as well as dating/future family life?

Economy - Are there multiple Fortune 500 companies established there, and are new corporations moving to the city?
Real Estate - If there is a downturn, is the local market prepared to sustain it, or are current prices vastly inflated?
Safety/Crime - Which downtown would be considered safer should you decide you want to live in the heart of the city?
Schools - Which metro has better public schools (in their respective suburbs)?
Diversity/Dating - Which metro provides a more vibrant dating scene for a young professional?

Old 07-20-2022, 02:49 PM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Economy - Are there multiple Fortune 500 companies established there, and are new corporations moving to the city? Atlanta has the edge on this one with companies like Microsoft, Google, etc.

Real Estate - If there is a downturn, is the local market prepared to sustain it, or are current prices vastly inflated? Atlanta has gone up a lot so it might have a crash like in the late 2000's

Safety/Crime - Which downtown would be considered safer should you decide you want to live in the heart of the city? Dallas might have a safer downtown, though neither are a San Diego or a Boston

Schools - Which metro has better public schools (in their respective suburbs)? Probably a tie

Diversity/Dating - Which metro provides a more vibrant dating scene for a young professional? If I were a young single professional I think I would prefer Atlanta. Then again I'm not too familiar with Dallas.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:42 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Then again I'm not too familiar with Dallas.
No disrespect, but reading your comparisons, this was my first thought.

Economy - There is no place in the US, other than perhaps Austin, that has a hotter economy than Dallas.
Real Estate - The stability of the markets is almost identical in both places.
Safety/Crime - The Atlanta metro area (as well as the city of Atlanta) has a higher crime rate, but its not hard to find safe and desirable places in both.
Schools - this is a tie for K-12. Atlanta is quite a few levels above on universities.
Diversity/Dating - Dallas is a more diverse city and DFW is a more diverse metro area. How that translates to dating I dont know.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:48 PM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
No disrespect, but reading your comparisons, this was my first thought.

Economy - There is no place in the US, other than perhaps Austin, that has a hotter economy than Dallas.
Real Estate - The stability of the markets is almost identical in both places.

Safety/Crime - The Atlanta metro area (as well as the city of Atlanta) has a higher crime rate, but its not hard to find safe and desirable places in both.
Schools - this is a tie for K-12. Atlanta is quite a few levels above on universities.
Diversity/Dating - Dallas is a more diverse city and DFW is a more diverse metro area. How that translates to dating I dont know.
In 2022, NoVa is easily #1

That said, SeaATL did sleep on Dallas incredibly

Old 07-20-2022, 04:51 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Economy - Both have diverse economies. DFW has a stronger and larger one.
Real Estate - DFW's prices have gone up by the highest percentage in the country recently. This can't be sustained, but both markets will always have high demand. I do think you get more for your money in Atlanta in terms of an actual yard, etc.
Safety/Crime - Atlanta's crime is higher and a lot more random.
Schools - Both metros have good schools. DFW just has more of everything, so I imagine there's more to choose from here.
Diversity/Dating - Both have vibrant dating scenes even in some burbs. DFW is statistically larger and more diverse, so there's going to be more options, but overall...you can't go wrong with either.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:08 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times
I think Dallas wins on the criteria you mentioned.

But you left out weather, topography, uniqueness, history, culture, airport, proximity to oceans and mountains, etc.

All in I would rather live in ATL (and I do)

Old 07-20-2022, 06:21 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I think Dallas wins on the criteria you mentioned.

But you left out weather, topography, uniqueness, history, culture, airport, proximity to oceans and mountains, etc.

All in I would rather live in ATL (and I do)
Weather and airport are debatable.

ATL is a busier airport but DFW actually serves more destinations.

For weather, Dallas is more hot and Atlanta is more humid.

For culture, they are pretty even by metro area but by city definitely Atlanta.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:50 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Weather and airport are debatable.

ATL is a busier airport but DFW actually serves more destinations.

For weather, Dallas is more hot and Atlanta is more humid.

For culture, they are pretty even by metro area but by city definitely Atlanta.
The weather is debatable. Dallas has more sunny weather and Atlanta has more stormy days and a longer amount of cooler/colder weather. I'm a hot and sunny kinda guy.
Culture, just depends on what you're looking for. Both have a lot of it. And Dallas has the convenience of Love Field which is now the busiest mid-sized airport and growing.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:42 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
To be dead honest it mostly comes down to a matter of preference, you won't find yourself lacking anything in either metro.

Economy - In overall metrics, DFW region wins.. ..it's a larger metro and a hotbed for corporate relocations from California. Atlanta is also doing well too though. They have plenty of HQ's (Porsche, Home Depot, NCR, ect), Filming, Tech, ect.. ..they're probably equally diverse, but DFW is overall larger.

Real Estate - It's difficult to say. Overall Texas Real Estate seems very resilient to recession. Atlanta's real estate crashed pretty hard in 2008, but alot of changed economically with Atlanta since that point in time, so I'm not sure the same will happen again so easily.

Safety/Crime - Both need significant improvement in this arena.. ..but overall DFW is slightly safer.. ..but there are plenty of hoods and areas where misfortune is more likely to happen in DFW.

Schools - K-12, DFW wins.. ..Post Grad - Atlanta wins easily.

Diversity/Dating - Both are equally diverse, but overall edge to Atlanta due to it being a more outgoing city overall.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:27 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
Basing your choice on these five areas, which metro would you suggest is best for professionals 35 and under seeking professional growth as well as dating/future family life?

Economy - Are there multiple Fortune 500 companies established there, and are new corporations moving to the city?
Real Estate - If there is a downturn, is the local market prepared to sustain it, or are current prices vastly inflated?
Safety/Crime - Which downtown would be considered safer should you decide you want to live in the heart of the city?
Schools - Which metro has better public schools (in their respective suburbs)?
Diversity/Dating - Which metro provides a more vibrant dating scene for a young professional?
Economy - about even, but edge to DFW as it's been the hottest or near the hottest economy in the US for a few years now.

Real Estate - better values in Atlanta right now, especially given the run-up DFW has seen in the last few years

Safety/crime - DFW - not really debatable

Schools - I'd say DFW here unless we're including universities. Atlanta wins extremely easily there

Diversity/dating - diversity is DFW but both are diverse. Dating, I'd definitely prefer Atlanta but YMMV

Overall these two offer about the same thing. DFW has better schools and is a little safer, Atlanta has more culture/activities and is a little cheaper. If I had to choose one I'd choose Atlanta but Dallas is no slouch here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City