Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which West Coast City/Metro Area? (Listed from North to South)
Seattle 20 34.48%
Portland 4 6.90%
San Francisco (Bay Area) 5 8.62%
Los Angeles 26 44.83%
San Diego 1 1.72%
Other - Please Name 2 3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 11:11 PM

8,862 posts, read 6,865,667 times

Advertisements

Agreed, for all its density, LA is much too car-oriented, by every measure.

Its policy isn't helpful, making growth difficult and requiring suburban levels of parking (which I gather might change at long last).

That's where Seattle excels. You can build less parking and often no parking in new buildings. And growth is much easier due to state policies that require counties and cities to accommodate it. Most do it specifically by encouraging TOD growth so they can avoid changing SFR areas, though some are starting to upzone those too.

LA builds more TOD than Seattle. But Seattle builds far more apartments and offices per capita. (Core cities, metros, whatever) If you want to see the variation I can pull up Friday's real-time numbers for each.

But the kicker is this is "best TOD," not most TOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 12:06 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,016 times
I voted alphabetically.

Old 07-23-2022, 12:31 PM

295 posts, read 355,688 times
Hands down it's the Sacramento-Fresno strip that'll become most TOD by 2030. There is massive development + connectivity in various cities in that stretch.

Old 07-23-2022, 12:50 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,101,574 times
I went with LA because they've had to come from behind the farthest. Before rapid transit in the 1980s, LA was a huge, sprawling freeway-oriented mess. Now, 30-odd years later, the transformation is stunning: downtown is suddenly tighter, walkable, and more vertical; mixed-use development is springing up near rail stations (including several Metrolink commuter rail stations (along the 400-mile network) -- but LA still has a long way to go even though it is achieving great things.

Other cities on the list: esp SF and Seattle, were already less sprawling and more transit-friendly, to begin with. Part of it, of course, is because these 2 cities are geographically land-locked, unlike LA, which sprawls over a wide swath of unbroken land.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:17 PM

151 posts, read 87,913 times
LA for sure

Old 07-23-2022, 06:08 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Wilshire Blvd corridor might cover a population the size of Seattle but I’ve walked a few miles of Wilshire Blvd on a nice day and can count the number of pedestrians on the sidewalks with my fingers. I think the culture on transit, cycling and walking are just so different between Seattle and LA.

Seattle level density with good transit, good walking infrastructure and walkable stores make for a great quality of life.
So you walked for miles along a street that is the core artery of 15-40,000 ppsm tracts for 16 miles and saw fewer than 10 people walking around?

I guess we'll just have to take your word on that one.

Riding on transit is probably more pleasurable in Seattle, but the "culture on transit" in central Los Angeles varies between standing room only on buses and the Expo line being so full you can't even board. L.A.'s partially complete subway already has nearly double the ridership of Seattle Link despite being a smaller system.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I went with LA because they've had to come from behind the farthest. Before rapid transit in the 1980s, LA was a huge, sprawling freeway-oriented mess. Now, 30-odd years later, the transformation is stunning: downtown is suddenly tighter, walkable, and more vertical; mixed-use development is springing up near rail stations (including several Metrolink commuter rail stations (along the 400-mile network) -- but LA still has a long way to go even though it is achieving great things.

Other cities on the list: esp SF and Seattle, were already less sprawling and more transit-friendly, to begin with. Part of it, of course, is because these 2 cities are geographically land-locked, unlike LA, which sprawls over a wide swath of unbroken land.
This is a myth.

While Los Angeles was in the process of building out a next generation light rail/subway (after already having been a world mass transit leader in earlier generations), Seattle was still debating on whether to even have any kind of interurban rail system well into the 2000's.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
Which stations in Seattle are you talking about?
Let's take a trip to the Rainer Beach Link station!:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Li...4d-122.2794229

Old 07-23-2022, 10:17 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Let's take a trip to the Rainer Beach Link station!:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Li...4d-122.2794229
That's one of the few non-Downtown stations in the system without significant TOD. Also, while no one would claim Rainier Beach (literally on the very edge of Seattle city boundary) is urban, I wouldn't call this super sprawled out generic suburbia (1 block from the station):

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5233...7i16384!8i8192

Keep in mind you have areas like this a block away from Expo Line stations pretty regularly:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0361...7i16384!8i8192

Old 07-23-2022, 10:26 PM

365 posts, read 230,261 times
Man, Portland is often underrated, and this thread is Exhibit A. It definitely deserves more votes. They do a nice job of creating livable, human-scale TOD. It might not be as prevalent as it should be, but there's still a pretty good amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City