Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels most isolated within the US?
Seattle 27 29.03%
Miami 4 4.30%
Denver 55 59.14%
Portland (Maine) 7 7.53%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 04:55 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times

Advertisements

I think the problem is what do we define as the formal definition of an isolated city? Seattle is far closer to other major cities and the 500 mile driving radius around Seattle would have Vancouver, Portland, Spokane, Eugene, and Boise within that Bubble. The only large city within that bubble for Denver is Albuquerque, which is barely in it. However, is you are looking at flight times the PNW will lose ever time dues to it’s geography positioning. This positioning makes places like Seattle and Vancouver very international cities, that are easy to fly to Asia. Geographical, Seattle is about the same distance from Tokyo and London, which would make it easier if you are an international business traveller. But Denver is far better positioned as an outpost for domestic travel. To me thats a question of what is the most isolated Geography region, rather than cities. Seattle’s population within that 500 mile radius is probably atleast twice that of Denver’s. For me, isolation is ease to travel to over cities regionally, rather than flying. I can take a day trip and explore other cities in Seattle. In Denver, thats extremely hard without spending 10+ hours driving, or taking a flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 05:20 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Denver by car
Seattle by air

Old 07-24-2022, 05:39 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
For me, isolation is ease to travel to over cities regionally, rather than flying. I can take a day trip and explore other cities in Seattle. In Denver, thats extremely hard without spending 10+ hours driving, or taking a flight.
Yeah, once you're flying, most of the time is spent on ground transportation to the airport, security, waiting at the gate, flight delays, sitting on the runway, baggage claim, getting to a rental car place and renting a car at the destination. So to me a 2 hr versus 4 hr flight isn't a big deal. You could easily spend an hour just getting a rental car.

A 2.5 hr drive to the nearest large city Vancouver from Seattle versus a 6.5 hr drive to the nearest large city ABQ from Denver is a big deal though.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Seattle is 100 miles as the crow flies from the open sea, much further by road or water, tucked away inside Puget Sound. https://goo.gl/maps/awnoNgVsEDo3SqEU8

Here is a street view, just east off of the property line of Denver airport: https://goo.gl/maps/DASM2geK6D8uE9Wt5
My overall point was that both are barren and the water is more of a barrier than the plains. You can easily drive east from Denver, can't drive west of Seattle very far.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:52 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,080,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
My overall point was that both are barren and the water is more of a barrier than the plains. You can easily drive east from Denver, can't drive west of Seattle very far.
Of course Washington State runs 21 car ferries from the Seattle area, carrying 23M passengers a year. So there is a way to commute through the water. I don't know how barren the west Puget Sound area is compared to east of Denver, but that's a lot of ferry traffic.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:57 PM

946 posts, read 567,371 times
I voted for Denver.

Don't know what Miami is doing on this poll.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Of course Washington State runs 21 car ferries from the Seattle area, carrying 23M passengers a year. So there is a way to commute through the water. I don't know how barren the west Puget Sound area is compared to east of Denver, but that's a lot of ferry traffic.
I'm talking about the visuals though. It was discussed that the plains east of Denver make the city feel isolated. My question is how doesn't open water not do the same?

Old 07-24-2022, 10:25 PM

346 posts, read 456,295 times
I've been to all 4 and lived in Seattle and Denver. I would always tell family and friends that Denver felt isolated to met - it is just so far from any other civilized place. The feeling of isolation there was stronger than what I felt in Seattle.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:05 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,080,141 times
Quote:
I'm talking about the visuals though. It was discussed that the plains east of Denver make the city feel isolated. My question is how doesn't open water not do the same?
Here is a water-level view from Seattle - clearly land and hills are visible in the distance. It is not "open water" in the same sense that an ocean is, where water continues beyond the rim of the horizon.
https://goo.gl/maps/6UMeiGEJE4y9ozE37

That's the way I see it anyway. I can get the isolated feeling on an ocean front, but not where I can see land in the distance. Others may see any water as an isolating barrier, no matter what the width. I just don't.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:18 PM

638 posts, read 350,132 times
Quote:
It’s not just open water though. Directly across from Seattle is the snow capped Olympic Mountains and the Olympic Peninsula. Doesn’t give that desolate feeling when you are looking of the eastern plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City