Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most ideal for you? 1776 edition
Philadelphia 11 45.83%
New York 5 20.83%
Boston 5 20.83%
Charleston 1 4.17%
Newport 2 8.33%
Other: Williamsburg, Savannah, etc. 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 09:25 PM

795 posts, read 483,195 times

Advertisements

In 1776 Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Charleston and Newport were the 5 largest cities (my, how times change).

The year is 1776, based on topics including: history, architecture, livability, population, location, etc. Which city would be most ideal FOR YOU?!

You can give different city answers for different topics, or one city for all the topics. Would just love to hear what everyone thinks on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 05:02 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Philadelphia gets the edge here on two grounds:
  • It was the largest city in the American colonies, and
  • It was where the history was being made.

In terms of age, it was the youngest of the five, but also the most centrally located relative to the others, which was one reason why it was chosen as the meeting site for the three Continental Congresses that led to the Declaration of Independence.

I think, though, that this might be a somewhat confusing or bifurcated poll. The OP is asking "If we were living in 1776, in which of these cities would we prefer to live?" But I think the answers are based largely on the two factors above, and I'm not sure that everyone who answered would choose a place to live based on those two factors alone.

Old 07-24-2022, 05:49 AM

506 posts, read 477,510 times
If we're talking specifically 1776, then we have to remember there was an active war going on. Boston would be out of the running immediately following years of targeted embargoes, civil unrest, and battles. New York City would be out because it was an occupied city and a battleground. These factors all impact livability. Ask anyone living in Ukraine.

Philadelphia was on the cusp of being occupied. It would soon be occupied by an enemy force with the Continental Congress having to evacuate.

In 1776, Charleston and Newport were the cities least impacted directly by the war, though that would change later. Personally, I'd pick Newport because I like New England better.

Now, if this poll was asking about each of these cities after the war was over, in the 1780s, then I think Philadelphia had the best of everything but New York had the most promise.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:32 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
July 1776 was the only time all the founding fathers lived and worked together to create 'The United States' and all of it happened in Philadelphia. Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, John Adams, and more lived along Market St. From Front St. to 8th Street. So if I was picking one moment to see in a time machine, I would like to see them sign the Declaration of Independence.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:34 AM

506 posts, read 477,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
July 1776 was the only time all the founding fathers lived and worked together to create 'The United States' and all of it happened in Philadelphia. Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, John Adams, and more lived along Market St. From Front St. to 8th Street. So if I was picking one moment to see in a time machine, I would like to see them sign the Declaration of Independence.
George Washington didn't sign the Declaration of Independence because he was out kicking royal British butt.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:44 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
George Washington didn't sign the Declaration of Independence because he was out kicking royal British butt.

Hell yeah. I grew up right near Washington's Crossing.

Every Christmas, reenactors go out into the River and re-enact Christmas Day 1776 where Washington surprised the British at the Battle of Trenton, a pivotal moment that helped raise moral and turn the tides of the war.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:58 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Boston in 1776? I rather NOT be there. It got quite intense that year

Newport maybe?

Old 07-24-2022, 08:18 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Newport was probably hurt more by the War for Independence than any of these other cities. Its port was blockaded killing its merchant trade which was its lifeline. Then the British occupied the city. Many residents fled and never returned. That didn't even change with the arrival from France of Rochambeau and the French fleet to the city.

Newport never recovered from the war and lost much of its luster to the northern RI port city of Providence which was never occupied. Providence and the area around it was then able to quickly transform its economy into manufacturing within year's of the war's end. Newport's maritime economy took another big hit with the War of 1812 and the city stayed relatively stagnant for many decades before the nation's wealthy discovered it and started to spend summers there. It took until about 1850 for the city to once again reach its 1776 population.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:46 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Charleston without air conditioning would be miserable so I’d rule that one out right away. It’s really hard to picture the other cities back then, particularly NY. There were still mansions in Manhattan through the Gilded Aged so we are talking something totally different from now… I’d probably lean Boston here, but it’s a tough call.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:54 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
In 1776 (at least by March) the war was over in Massachusetts l, while there was a lot of fighting in the mid-Atlantic

I’d say Charleston but no AC in the South? No thank you.

So I’d say Boston , plus a smaller city was much more livable back in the day, as sewers hadn’t Been, nor the big water projects of the 19th century dug yet, so cities quickly became literal cesspools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City