Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 06:56 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times

Advertisements

Ok, I wanted to switch some things up a bit. Often times we see list for major metropolitans areas especially when it comes to recommendations for Black Americans(any person of African descent btw). Well this time I want to know if you had to compile a list of SMALLER MSA's which ones would make your top 10 list for Black Americans. Here's the requirements and metrics below:

1) MSA must be under 1.5 million people.

2) Must have a Black percentage equal to or greater than the national Black average (13.4%)

3) MSA can't be smaller than 400,000

Metrics:
1) Economic growth
2) Good size Black Middle class
3) Educational attainment
4) Amenities
5) Culture

List of MSA's under 1.5 million with a Black percentage equal to or greater than 13.4%

1) Raleigh-Cary, NC
2) Memphis, TN
3) Richmond, VA
4) Louisville, KY
5) New Orleans, LA
6) Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY
7) Birmingham-Hoover, AL
8) Greenville-Anderson, SC
9) Baton Rogue, LA
10) Columbia, SC
11) Dayton, OH
12) Charleston-North Charleston, SC
13) Greensboro-High Point, NC
14) Little Rock-North Little Rock, AR
15) Winston-Salem, NC
16) Durham, NC
17) Toledo, OH
18) Augusta, GA
19) Jackson, MS
20) Chattanooga, TN
21) Fayetteville, NC
22) Hunstville, AL
23) Lafayette, LA
24) Killeen-Temple, TX
25) Vallejo, CA
26) Mobile, AL
27) Gulfport, MS
28) Flint, MI
29) Savannah, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 08:43 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Unfortunately, the metro area that just misses the percentage criteria, but does very well on multiple metrics is the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown NY area. I believe its percentage is like 1-2% below the national figure, but it has the smallest or one of the smallest black-white per capita income gaps out of the top 100 metros in the country, its black median household income is only below DC, San Jose and maybe one or two others out of the top 100 metros, it is one of the more integrated metro areas out of the top 100 metro areas, it has black leadership in government(Newburgh's current mayor, city councilpersons, county levels, etc.) and education(superintendents for the Cornwall, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie City and Washingtonville), there is a visible black business presence, Middletown HS's black graduation rate has been the highest of any group in that school 3 out of the last 5 years(usually in the high 80's-mid 90's), it also has commuter rail access into NYC for more employment opportunities and more.

Out of those listed, Vallejo offers similar metrics as Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown.

Columbia SC has a good sized black middle class. It doesn't hurt that it has a pretty strong military(Fort Jackson) and college/university(U of SC, HBCU's Benedict and Allen) in the area, along with being the capital.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Unfortunately, the metro area that just misses the percentage criteria, but does very well on multiple metrics is the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown NY area. I believe its percentage is like 1-2% below the national figure, but it has the smallest or one of the smallest black-white per capita income gaps out of the top 100 metros in the country, its black median household income is only below DC, San Jose and maybe one or two others out of the top 100 metros, it is one of the more integrated metro areas out of the top 100 metro areas, it has black leadership in government and education, there is a visible black business presence, Middletown HS's black graduation rate has been the highest of any group in that school 3 out of the last 5 years(usually in the high 80's-mid 90's), it also has commuter rail access into NYC for more employment opportunities and more.

Out of those listed, Vallejo offers similar metrics as Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown.

Columbia SC has a good sized black middle class. It doesn't hurt that it has a pretty strong military(Fort Jackson) and college/university(U of SC, HBCU's Benedict and Allen) in the area, along with being the capital.
You know I thought about Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown and wanted to put it on the list despite the percentage criteria. I think it sits at 10% so I'll change that criteria because some of the city proper in these metros have a Black percentage well over the national average. Poughkeepsie is one of them.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You know I thought about Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown and wanted to put it on the list despite the percentage criteria. I think it sits at 10% so I'll change that criteria because some of the city proper in these metros have a Black percentage well over the national average. Poughkeepsie is one of them.
Yes, Poughkeepsie is 37.2%. Newburgh is 28.3% and Middletown is 23.5% based off of 2020 information. There are other cities, villages and towns in that area that are at least at or above the national percentage in that area as well(Mechanicstown CDP is 25.4%, Washington Heights CDP is 28.4% and Scotchtown CDP is 24.8% and all are just outside of Middletown for a few examples).

Old 08-03-2022, 12:46 PM

Just to add, Vallejo has the highest black median household income out of the areas listed, with Raleigh being second and Richmond third(Poughkeepsie would be only behind Vallejo, if included, but Vallejo isn't a top 100 metro in population): https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...5Y2020.B19013B

Old 08-03-2022, 02:08 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the metro area that just misses the percentage criteria, but does very well on multiple metrics is
I don't know exactly how well it does on metrics, but New Haven also misses the cutoff pretty narrowly at 12.8%.

Old 08-03-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I don't know exactly how well it does on metrics, but New Haven also misses the cutoff pretty narrowly at 12.8%.
I think it would be relatively solid. Areas such as Hartford, Rochester and Harrisburg are other Northeastern areas that are within 2-3% percentage points as well. Akron actually meets the criteria.

This source offers more inclusive non Hispanic percentages: https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...0/Default.aspx

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-03-2022 at 03:00 PM..

Old 08-04-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I think it would be relatively solid. Areas such as Hartford, Rochester and Harrisburg are other Northeastern areas that are within 2-3% percentage points as well. Akron actually meets the criteria.

This source offers more inclusive non Hispanic percentages: https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...0/Default.aspx
You know what I think Imma delete this thread and make a new one focusing just on the actual cities and not the metros. I think it makes more sense to do it that way for smaller cities anyway.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You know what I think Imma delete this thread and make a new one focusing just on the actual cities and not the metros. I think it makes more sense to do it that way for smaller cities anyway.
You could do it at the metro level even for these areas, as many/most also have suburban areas that have above national average black percentages as well.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:39 AM

Here is some educational attainment information: https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...5Y2020.C15002B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City