Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 12:55 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
(there’s no much “view” living in NYC because most so-called views are often other people’s windows and a bunch of buildings which can be depressing especially in winter.)
Highrises in the other boroughs and houses on the other side of the Hudson by the cliffs in NJ have absolutely amazing views, especially at night with the bridges and the skyline lit up. Can never get tired of those views, because NY skyline always changes.
If you ever get a chance to visit a rooftop lounge in LIC or Brooklyn with skyline views at night you should. Preferably when there is not that many people around. It feels magical standing on the balcony alone and looking at this skyline in perfect silence. Feels kind of alien even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
As Dorothy Parker famously quipped about LA, "72 suburbs in search of a city". New Yorkers will always view LA as sprawl. Pure, unadulterated sprawl.
I think this is slowly changing in LA in a positive direction. It is still multi-nodal, but things are becoming more concentrated, especially with public transit expansion and with downtown and other commercial areas revitalization. For the kind of multi-nodal city design that LA has it needs a crap ton more people to truly feel like a city. Tokyo has a similar design, but it has the population to support it.

Last edited by Gantz; 08-09-2022 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 01:24 PM

1,035 posts, read 564,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Highrises in the other boroughs and houses on the other side of the Hudson by the cliffs in NJ have absolutely amazing views, especially at night with the bridges and the skyline lit up. Can never get tired of those views, because NY skyline always changes.
If you ever get a chance to visit a rooftop lounge in LIC or Brooklyn with skyline views at night you should. Preferably when there is not that many people around. It feels magical standing on the balcony alone and looking at this skyline in perfect silence. Feels kind of alien even.

it.
Oh I totally believe you, especially when there are bridges and landmarks involved.

Our last home in Manhattan before we moved back to LA was in Financial District, two blocks away from Brooklyn Bridge/Pace University. On the building rooftop terrace you literally have Brooklyn Bridge so close that feels like it’s within reach, particularly awestruck and beautiful at night.

I was just being kind of snarky because every apartment listing and realtor in NYC, as well as hotels, always tried to sell the “view”, when more often that not the view was nothing striking. Manhattan is a city built on grids, because of that it’s not easy to have an open, panorama view outside the windows unless you have a penthouse or wide terrace.

That being said, still love NYC, always will.

Last edited by achtung baby; 08-09-2022 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-09-2022, 01:33 PM

1,035 posts, read 564,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
People actually consider 'NYC and LA' their two favorite cities in America??
What is it with c-d with grown men (I assume they are grown men?! Not some incels hiding behind the internet pretending to be a know-it-all?) passive-aggressively making side-eyed comment without directly quoting the person from which their said comment was originated? It feels so 9th grade school cafeteria mean girls’ whisper and gossip.

Yes NYC and LA are my two favorite cities in the U.S.A. I wasn’t born here and I love coastal cities, out and proud.

I lived more than half of my entire life in these two cities, I have very happy and beautiful memories & experiences, what’s not to love?!

Last edited by achtung baby; 08-09-2022 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-09-2022, 02:09 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
People actually consider 'NYC and LA' their two favorite cities in America??
LA is my favorite city. I moved Ft Lauderdale to the number 2 spot recently.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:35 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
LA is my favorite city. I moved Ft Lauderdale to the number 2 spot recently.
Yeah that makes sense. But theres a select group of people who only consider LA and NYC cities they like. Its bizarre to say the least. Like the title is romanticizing just NYC and LA. Like why not SF? Chicago? Miami??

I cant be the only one who notices a very small portion of people obsess over just these two cities. And none else… even when it comes to the world stage, they probably will still say this. Maybe throw in London, and only London with nyc and la

Old 08-09-2022, 04:38 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Yeah that makes sense. But theres a select group of people who only consider LA and NYC cities they like. Its bizarre to say the least. Like the title is romanticizing just NYC and LA. Like why not SF? Chicago? Miami??

I cant be the only one who notices a very small portion of people obsess over just these two cities. And none else… even when it comes to the world stage, they probably will still say this. Maybe throw in London, and only London with nyc and la
I agree that there is no immediate logical reason to associate the two with each other. If you work in an industry that only exists/thrives in them, I guess that would be the biggest reason.

What I find the the most amusing are the anecdotes offered up to prove that NYC is superior, usually something like, "I could hop off a subway here, walk down the street there, turn a corner, get a slice over there, get some milk at my bodega, strike up a conversation with quirky guy, etc.".....generic stuff that can be easily replicated in so many other places. There are plenty of places like NYC (worldwide), but only one Los Angeles, imo.

...and then when "New Yorkers" relocate to L.A., the gripes are uniform enough I don't need to list them. I'm thinking-weren't they aware of other options to relocate to if those NYC traits were so important? Or was it a huge surprise that L.A. wasn't exactly the same when they got there?

Chicago and L.A. is a more logical comparison imo, because they are both megacities that still have somewhat of a "main street USA" thing going on.

Its no secret that NYC thinks and talks about L.A. more than vice versa, though.

Old 08-09-2022, 04:46 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I agree that there is no immediate logical reason to associate the two with each other. If you work in an industry that only exists/thrives in them, I guess that would be the biggest reason.

What I find the the most amusing are the anecdotes offered up to prove that NYC is superior, usually something like, "I could hop off a subway here, walk down the street there, turn a corner, get a slice over there, get some milk at my bodega, strike up a conversation with quirky guy, etc.".....generic stuff that can be easily replicated in so many other places. There are plenty of places like NYC (worldwide), but only one Los Angeles, imo.

...and then when "New Yorkers" relocate to L.A., the gripes are uniform enough I don't need to list them. I'm thinking-weren't they aware of other options to relocate to if those NYC traits were so important? Or was it a huge surprise that L.A. wasn't exactly the same when they got there?

Chicago and L.A. is a more logical comparison imo, because they are both megacities that still have somewhat of a "main street USA" thing going on.

Its no secret that NYC thinks and talks about L.A. more than vice versa, though.
LOL Said no one ever about NYC besides you. There's only one city (LA) with a bunch of multi-nodal satellite city suburbs within its city limits? Really? That sounds a lot more easily reproduceable to me than the alternative

Old 08-09-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
LOL Said no one ever about NYC besides you. There's only one city (LA) with a bunch of multi-nodal satellite city suburbs within its city limits? Really? That sounds a lot more easily reproduceable to me than the alternative
Ok, a metro area situated within a Mediterranean climate zone with a USD 1 trillion or higher GDP, with 5,000 foot mountain peaks in the city limits, and 10,000 foot mountain peaks in the metro area.

I'm sure they're all over and I just don't know them.

I look forward to you listing them for us.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney rubble View Post
Yeah, imo NY and Bay Area are secretly the most infatuated about LA. They both like to compare themselves to Socal to feel superior, yet something about LA interest them in a wide variety of subjects.
San Francisco looks to NYC as their most logical analog, NYC looks back at them like "lol", both know its not socially acceptable to praise L.A. too much.

NYC media tries to mask their obsession with L.A. life with "oh its just national news coverage" but anyone can see it goes way beyond that.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

I think this is slowly changing in LA in a positive direction. It is still multi-nodal, but things are becoming more concentrated, especially with public transit expansion and with downtown and other commercial areas revitalization. For the kind of multi-nodal city design that LA has it needs a crap ton more people to truly feel like a city. Tokyo has a similar design, but it has the population to support it.
So, just to make sure I have this straight-

NYC existing as a city divided by five administrative boroughs spread out over 300 square miles can never be used as evidence of it being "multi nodal" or "disjointed", but the neighborhoods and districts of Los Angeles must always be put under a microscope for their imperfections in continuity and used as proof that its a balkanized non-city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City