Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 01:06 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
But tying back in, Yeah, there are a lot of Californians who dont leave California. At all.
I work for a CA tech company in Texas. Whenever they visit here it's very often their first ever visit to Texas. That's crazy to me as I have probably flown between these two states 50+ times.

Not to say they don't travel, but I do find Californians very ignorant of middle America in particular. It's definitely a contributing factor to the toxic "red state vs blue state" mindset we have these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 02:15 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
It says NY'ers travel and like to try new things a lot more than Angelenos and Californians for that matter.

People from LA and Cali need to get out of their own state more and expand their horizons for a change.
Where did you pull that out of?

Old 08-10-2022, 04:59 PM

379 posts, read 468,201 times
LA feels”America”. New York is entirely it’s own thing. Very unique to the USA. From the fact that the majority of households do not own a car, to the fact that majority rely on public transport to get around. NY flight guy to Dublin or Iceland is close to flight time to Cali (which it has common with other East coast cities - granted). The fact that the black population heavily consists of immigrants or first generation Folks From Caribbean or Africa. Etc etc. LA is much much closer to anytown USA than NY is. And that’s the delta.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:15 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Probably has a lot to do with weather….much easier for a NY’er to adapt to CA weather than vice versa. Don’t forget—a light January drizzle in LA is the lead news story under the caption “winter storm watch”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la_GKKdkXDQ

Old 08-10-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Im in my 20s, so the whole “nyc and la are the best cities” are way outdated to people my age. So its definitely surprising with all the homerism and bloating. Its a very unpopular opinion that is exasperated on this forum that the vast majority of people do not agree with and get annoyed with.

There was no logic in comparing just these two metropolitan areas, which are mid at best. Its bolstering for no apparent reason. I just asked a question why SOME people are so obsessed with these just these two cities, and no others.. and c/d, like the real world would, delivered.
I think the point of this thread is obvious. New York and Los Angeles are our two largest cities, yet you'd be hard-pressed to name two major cities that are so completely different from each other. So the OP simply wanted to bring out how people felt when moving from one to the other. I've noticed that there have been some posters who moved from NY to LA, but I don't think there have been any that did it the other way around (excepting those who originated in NY, moved to LA, then moved back).

Old 08-10-2022, 05:26 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
Quote:
It says NY'ers travel and like to try new things a lot more than Angelenos and Californians for that matter.

People from LA and Cali need to get out of their own state more and expand their horizons for a change.
More than 60% of Californians own passports (on par with NY, MA, and NJ). Californians do travel, just likely not to the east coast.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
People actually consider 'NYC and LA' their two favorite cities in America??
Yes, apparently they do. Just because I'm not one of them does not invalidate anyone who does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
What is it with c-d with grown men (I assume they are grown men?! Not some incels hiding behind the internet pretending to be a know-it-all?) passive-aggressively making side-eyed comment without directly quoting the person from which their said comment was originated? It feels so 9th grade school cafeteria mean girls’ whisper and gossip.

Yes NYC and LA are my two favorite cities in the U.S.A. I wasn’t born here and I love coastal cities, out and proud.

I lived more than half of my entire life in these two cities, I have very happy and beautiful memories & experiences, what’s not to love?!
I actually think it's touching, how you've described your feelings for both of these cities. I'm glad that you have such happy associations with them and I'm glad that you think so highly of them. I've never lived in either one, nor have I ever had any desire to live in either one. I used to love New York and visited it often. But it's been 10 years since I was there (not counting driving through it), and now I don't even want to go there anymore. I've only visited Los Angeles once, and while I enjoyed my visit, I don't have any desire to go there again.

But you know what? None of that detracts from your love of these cities.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:37 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
More than 60% of Californians own passports (on par with NY, MA, and NJ). Californians do travel, just likely not to the east coast.
This isn't about international travel. It's NYC v LA. You just reinforced my point. NY'ers can speak from experience traveling and relocating to LA a lot more than the reverse.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:57 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:

This is a possibility.

Another possibility is that people residing in New York subconsciously realize that its just a bigger version of half a dozen other cities and want to see something truly unique.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:02 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
Quote:
This isn't about international travel. It's NYC v LA. You just reinforced my point. NY'ers can speak from experience traveling and relocating to LA a lot more than the reverse.
You said that Californians need to expand their horizon and implied that they don't travel or leave their state. That just isn't true.

Someone can be well traveled and have never visited NYC or the east coast. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

This is all based on conjecture anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City