Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is best?
Greenville, SC 17 32.69%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 26.92%
Richmond, VA 21 40.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 12:45 PM

43 posts, read 45,721 times

Advertisements

I’m reaching retirement age and am trying to decide where to move. These three cities are all in my price range and seem to have a generally positive reception online. I want to stay close to the $350,000 range for a house. I’m conservative so that would be a bonus to find a conservative area, but it doesn’t really matter to me that much. Which of these cities has the:

1. Friendliest people
2. Best nearby nature (I especially like lakes and rivers)
3. Best roads
4. Best climate (days in the 60s and 70s are my preference)
5. Best food
6. Lowest crime
7. Best traffic/parking

Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 02:13 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
All 3 have 4 months that average in 60s or 70s for highs. But they come in different months and the rest of the year varies between the 2 warm cities and colder one as well. Most notable in the winter, but Greenville has 5 months where the average high is over 80 (including one at 92), Richmond 4, Grand Rapids 2.

Violent and property crime rates in city of Greenville are about 70% over national average. Suburbs probably close to average. City of Richmond, average on violent crime, 70% higher on property crime. Suburbs well below average on violent crime, probably near average on property crime or somewhat lower. Grand Rapids in city, 70% higher violent crime, average property crime. Suburbs, way below average on both crime rates.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-08-2022 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-08-2022, 02:31 PM

1,802 posts, read 1,951,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBologna View Post
I’m reaching retirement age and am trying to decide where to move. These three cities are all in my price range and seem to have a generally positive reception online. I want to stay close to the $350,000 range for a house. I’m conservative so that would be a bonus to find a conservative area, but it doesn’t really matter to me that much. Which of these cities has the:

1. Friendliest people Greenville/Grand Rapids/Richmond
2. Best nearby nature (I especially like lakes and rivers) Richmond/Greenville/Grand Rapids
3. Best roads Grand Rapids/Richmond/Greenville
4. Best climate (days in the 60s and 70s are my preference) Richmond/Greenville/Grand Rapids
5. Best food Richmond/Greenville/Grand Rapids
6. Lowest crime Grand Rapids/Greenville/Richmond
7. Best traffic/parking Grand Rapids/Greenville/Richmond

Thanks for any input
Overall, they're very close, but I'd go with Greenville due to your conservative preference. Grand Rapids will be the cheaper city overall, but for now, Greenville is still pretty affordable compared to its bigger piedmont cousins. If you can't find anything there, go with Grand Rapids. Richmond is the most liberal of these cities and also the most expensive, due to its relative proximity to the coast and Northern Virginia/DC.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:51 PM

Is Grand Rapids close to as good as the other 2 when it comes to food, or is it significantly worse?

Old 08-08-2022, 04:12 PM

457 posts, read 349,696 times
Quote:
Is Grand Rapids close to as good as the other 2 when it comes to food, or is it significantly worse?
Grand Rapids has a great food scene between its breweries and restaurants. Plenty of options many surprisingly creative. There are several neighborhoods with good restaurants I've experienced when I go there.

I'm not sure how familiar Borntoolate is with Grand Rapids, I don't know how much I agree with their rankings. Especially putting Grand Rapids 3rd for best nearby nature. To be fair it will be difficult to find someone on here with meaningful insight into all three cities. Grand Rapids is at the base of the Manistee national forrest, and 25 miles from what are arguably the best beaches in all of the great lakes. It's surrounded by many natural in land lakes and rivers that are a significant part of the culture up there. If you're looking to escape summer heat Grand Rapids will be the best bet. The trade off is the gloomy winter weather and lake effect snow which can bring upwards of 80 inches a year. I'm a big snowmobile/skier so I love it, but it's not for a lot of people. From the beginning of April through October Grand Rapids weather is quite livable. It's November to March that scare some folks away.

If you don't mind winter the biggest challenge in Grand Rapids would be housing. I don't think real estate values from a google search reflect the true inventory crisis they are experiencing up there. From what I've seen houses are going for about $100k more in actual sale price vs. what you will find doing a google search. That's not a scientific statement on my end, and with your budget you should still be able to find something decent for sure.

Old 08-08-2022, 04:13 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,876 times
Quote:
I would say that Grand Rapids is the best foodie city of the 3. Richmond is pretty great too. Greenville is fine, but lacks both the variety and the sophistication of the other two.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:32 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
All 3 have 4 months that average in 60s or 70s for highs. But they come in different months and the rest of the year varies between the 2 warm cities and colder one as well. Most notable in the winter, but Greenville has 5 months where the average high is over 80 (including one at 92), Richmond 4, Grand Rapids 2.

Violent and property crime rates in city of Greenville are about 70% over national average. Suburbs probably close to average. City of Richmond, average on violent crime, 70% higher on property crime. Suburbs well below average on violent crime, probably near average on property crime or somewhat lower. Grand Rapids in city, 70% higher violent crime, average property crime. Suburbs, way below average on both crime rates.
For crime Grand Rapids is going to follow a more rustbelt model where it's largely contained to one section of the city, and the rest of the city feels more stable(though crime can still happen anywhere). It also means that when you see that 70% higher statistic, certain neighborhoods are going to be disproportionately worse than one might expect. While it does make it easier to feel out what neighborhoods are good and bad, it also adds to a binary, and more segregated divide between middle class and poor neighborhoods. This isn't as pronounced in southern cities from my experiences. I would imagine Greenville and Richmond are going to mirror a more southern style where pockets of good and bad are intermittent.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:20 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I would say that Grand Rapids is the best foodie city of the 3. Richmond is pretty great too. Greenville is fine, but lacks both the variety and the sophistication of the other two.
Greenville's food scene has evolved in recent years. I can't say how it stacks up to the other two cities specifically, but it has made notable strides in the variety and sophistication departments:

https://www.vogue.com/article/greenv...staurant-guide

https://www.southernliving.com/trave.../greenville-sc

https://www.capefearliving.com/post/...ie-destination

https://www.thediscoverer.com/blog/5...ign=1220571120

Old 08-10-2022, 12:50 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Greenville's food scene has evolved in recent years. I can't say how it stacks up to the other two cities specifically, but it has made notable strides in the variety and sophistication departments:

https://www.vogue.com/article/greenv...staurant-guide

https://www.southernliving.com/trave.../greenville-sc

https://www.capefearliving.com/post/...ie-destination

https://www.thediscoverer.com/blog/5...ign=1220571120
Do you know if Greenville has any good Asian and Italian places?

Old 08-10-2022, 01:09 PM

I’m really interested in which has the best Asian between Greenville and Grand Rapids as well. Especially ramen.

Last edited by TonyBologna; 08-10-2022 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City