Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 10:39 AM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't know about that post-COVID. It's much easier to do in 2022. I just met a guy last weekend that moved to DC from Philadelphia. He commutes back to Philadelphia once per week for work because he is hybrid. One of the reason's DC's populations is swelling is because there are many people that always wanted to move into DC but couldn't because their jobs were in other cities. They are now moving into the city from all over the country because they're either full-time telework or hybrid schedule. I'm sure the same thing is happening in every city.

The census bureau is going to struggle with their definitions moving forward because COVID has changed everything.
One of the paragraphs of mine you boldfaced acknowledged that there are NYC residents now moving to Philadelphia because they can telecommute. Plus they can enjoy a QOL and level of amenities and attractions that will satisfy them if they are urbanites and have more money on hand to enjoy all that because of the lower housing costs. (Brooklynites especially have been making Philadelphia their home in increasing numbers.)

But if your job still requires your physical presence at your worksite — and high-paid medical professionals largely fall into that category — the nearly 100 miles that separate Center City Philadelphia and Midtown Manhattan still prove too far a distance to commute practically. You can already have a 40-mile commute in many large metros, including both New York and Philadelphia, without leaving the boundaries of the MSA, or even the UA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 10:54 AM

817 posts, read 627,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I like the idea of Philly being is own thing.

It is already in a difficult spot being crammed between the Country's Biggest city and the nation's capital.

I will always see Baltimore as is own thing and Philly s is own thing. Both very important to our history.
I agree

Old 08-23-2022, 11:24 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I like the idea of Philly being is own thing.

It is already in a difficult spot being crammed between the Country's Biggest city and the nation's capital.

I will always see Baltimore as is own thing and Philly s is own thing. Both very important to our history.
True. But even if they do merge, Bmore and Washington are definitely their own thing individually as well. NYC and Philly would be the same if merged

Old 08-23-2022, 11:26 AM

1,204 posts, read 793,701 times
The short answer is no.

The long answer is still no. The reason why DC and Baltimore can be a CSA is that there are enough people in the "in between" area like Howard County that commutes both direction. 12% of the people that lives in HoCo commutes to MoCo, 8.1% to PGC, and 4.2% to DC proper. That's like 25% of commuting population already (Source: OnTheMap, 2019 data). AA County next door isn't as crazy but you still have ~10% commute to PGC, ~6% to MoCo, and ~4% to DC proper (Total ~20%).

Nowhere in Philly MSA nor NYC MSA came close to those number.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:39 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One of the paragraphs of mine you boldfaced acknowledged that there are NYC residents now moving to Philadelphia because they can telecommute. Plus they can enjoy a QOL and level of amenities and attractions that will satisfy them if they are urbanites and have more money on hand to enjoy all that because of the lower housing costs. (Brooklynites especially have been making Philadelphia their home in increasing numbers.)

But if your job still requires your physical presence at your worksite — and high-paid medical professionals largely fall into that category — the nearly 100 miles that separate Center City Philadelphia and Midtown Manhattan still prove too far a distance to commute practically. You can already have a 40-mile commute in many large metros, including both New York and Philadelphia, without leaving the boundaries of the MSA, or even the UA.
It only works for 100% telework employees or jobs that only require 1-day a week in the office. Obviously, if you have to go into the office more than that, it becomes inconvenient.

The real question is what does the census do with this?

Old 08-23-2022, 03:09 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
The short answer is no.

The long answer is still no. The reason why DC and Baltimore can be a CSA is that there are enough people in the "in between" area like Howard County that commutes both direction. 12% of the people that lives in HoCo commutes to MoCo, 8.1% to PGC, and 4.2% to DC proper. That's like 25% of commuting population already (Source: OnTheMap, 2019 data). AA County next door isn't as crazy but you still have ~10% commute to PGC, ~6% to MoCo, and ~4% to DC proper (Total ~20%).

Metro DC and metro Baltimore actually merge and encroach upon each other’s reach that’s why. And it’s an actual blurred line in the middle of where one city’s influence immediately switches to the other city’s sphere of influence. They also are 50 miles closer than NY/Philly.

DC being the larger metro has a sphere of influence at minimum double the size of Baltimore. So looking at a map of commuter share it’s obvious to see the DC area influence encroaching Baltimore MSA counties. Howard County (all of it) belongs to Baltimore MSA, but as you can see there’s a clear blurred line of split activity happening from metro DC in the middle of Howard and parts of Anne Arundel. There’s no dark red in the image below until you actually reach Baltimore city or County, so metro DC is pulling from 30 plus miles away.

The mere style of development and lack of emphasis on county based synergy of activity in central NJ, and rather townships, along with the huge difference in distance in between will prevent these two (Philly and NY) from ever combining on any Census metric.
Attached Thumbnails
Will New York and Philadelphia CSAs MERGE like Baltimore and DC?-8e200ccf-2835-44b5-9936-d3858c60802d.jpeg  

Old 08-23-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
The short answer is no.

Been to Trenton lately?

Using the same Census Bureau tool, I get a 27% share for Mercer Countians commuting to work in counties in the New York CSA and 22% for Mercer Countians commuting to work in counties in the Philadelphia CSA (though I suspect that Philadelphia County is one of the "All Other Counties" in the table; since Essex County gets broken out, and it's about as far from Mercer County as Philadelphia is, I think it should be broken out as well).

That's a close to even split, a difference of about six percentage points (I rounded to the nearest whole number).

And that reflects a strong overlap between the New York and Philadelphia regional economies at the largest point of contact between the two (New Jersey Transit hands local train riders over to SEPTA at Trenton).

But — as I noted upthread — even though it's in the New York CSA, New York media cover Mercer County only to the extent that they cover New Jersey state government while Philadelphia media cover it as part of its metropolitan region (i.e., stories having nothing to do with NJ state government originating in Mercer County often make Philadelphia newspapers and newscasts).

Old 08-24-2022, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
I looked back at the wiki article and it included Hartford and New Haven (!!!!!). Guess that guy sees New York absorbing everything within 100 miles. Seems Scranton-Wilkes Barre is next lol.
Hartford and New Haven are both within the New York CSA. Philadelphia is the center of its own CSA. BTW, Pike County in the Poconos is also part of the New York CSA. The Lehigh Valley (Lehigh and Northampton counties — the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton MSA) was for a while but got removed from it.

Were the Census Bureau to follow the standard rules and combine the two into one single CSA, however, the resulting megacity would be more like Dallas-Fort Worth or Minneapolis-St. Paul or the San Francisco Bay Area in having multiple core cities rather than one core and one or more satellites. (The Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS CSA officially has three core cities, but the third one seems to function increasingly more like a satellite than like a core city, while the second grew from a bedroom suburb into an edge city.)

Old 08-24-2022, 06:06 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
I have my issues with CSAs in general and the Wash-Balt CSA in particular. But, as other posters have noted DC and Baltimore's cores are dramatically closer (35-40 miles) than Philly's to NYCs (95-100 miles). Much if not all of Howard, Ann Arundel and even parts of Baltimore County are closer still. Really only Mercer County at the very edge of the NYC CSA is comparable.

More realistic questions are:
1) will Mercer County ever switch from the NYC to Philly CSA
2) will Howard or Ann Arundel ever switch to the DC MSA?

I suspect the questions to both are still no. But, in my opinion it makes the case for using something smaller than county level data to draw boundaries.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:26 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
I saw this video not long ago and thought it was pretty cool, you can see philly and nyc at the same time from NJ: https://imgur.com/Cl55e2V

In terms of a CSA, probably won't happen and more so imo CSA's are meaningless beyond a few special cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City