Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 08:01 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times

Advertisements

A lot of talk about how awful SEPTA is, but seems like "experiences" are limited to the Subway system.

Are people aware that the Regional Rail system (commuter rail) which serves the PA side of the metro (and Northern DE) is one of the most extensive systems in the nation? My father took the train from the burbs into Philadelphia every day, and I utilized it often in college. It's clean, safe, extensive, reliable, and a direct line to the airport. The issue post-Covid is the frequency.

Of course I don't deny the issues in the city (although the bus network is good), but a blanket statement that SEPTA is awful or the worst is not true, and I actually have experience utilizing SEPTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 08:03 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
The Alphabet soup is distracting, could I get a key?

Old 08-26-2022, 08:03 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
A lot of talk about how awful SEPTA is, but seems like "experiences" are limited to the Subway system.

Are people aware that the Regional Rail system which serves the PA side of the metro (and Northern DE) is one of the most extensive systems in the nation? My father took the train from the burbs into Philadelphia every day, and I utilized it often in college. It's clean, safe, extensive, reliable, and a direct line to the airport. The issue post-Covid is the frequency.

Of course I don't deny the issues in the city (although the bus network is good), but a blanket statement that SEPTA is awful or the worst is not true, and I actually have experience utilizing SEPTA.
I hadn't researched SEPTA as much. But I'm sure the transit in the Philly area, probably would be decent. And I bet commuter rail also would be decent, as well.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:05 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I hadn't researched SEPTA as much. But I'm sure the transit in the Philly area, probably would be decent. And I bet commuter rail also would be decent, as well.
I edited my post to clarify, the Regional Rail system is the commuter rail nodes.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:17 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The Alphabet soup is distracting, could I get a key?
MTA- New York City
MBTA- Boston/Providence
MARTA- Atlanta
CTA/RTA- Chicago
BART- San Francisco / San Jose
WMATA- Washington DC
SEPTA - Philadelphia
LACMTA - Los Angeles

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 08-26-2022 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-26-2022, 08:25 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
MTA- New York City
MBTA- Boston/Providence
MARTA- Atlanta
CTA/RTA- Chicago
BART- San Francisco / San Jose
MWATA- Washington DC
SEPTA - Philadelphia
LACMTA - Los Angeles
It's actually WMATA, for DC. It's okay though, that you made a typo by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I edited my post to clarify, the Regional Rail system is the commuter rail nodes.
Thanks, I figured you were referring to that.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:33 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
https://wmata.com/initiatives/plans/...tion/index.cfm

I was wrong, 6 stations will close for a month including the bridge from VA to DC on the yellow line, and some of the blue line. And the Bridge will be closed for 8 months.
Yep I'm fully aware. As I was just responding to your statement that entire lines were being shut down. There's also some Orange line stations on the Eastern end shut down until Labor Day for station upgrades. It actually was just announced today that the end of the line will eventually be getting a new train hall at New Carrollton station.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...ro-train-hall/

Last edited by the resident09; 08-26-2022 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-26-2022, 08:39 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
What the US as a whole needs to do is recruit Japan. They know how to operate train lines. And also build them.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:39 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
SEPTA is so dingey/dirty/gotham like. I haven't taken the street cars yet. However, nearby PATCO is great. I think it offsets SEPTAs ineptitude for me.

Ironically the only part of SEPTA I see that I would describe that way is near the concourse between PATCO and SEPTA where hobos hangout. The entire concourse under city hall really should be more of a priority though. It's a relic of a different time and is dingey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
One thing that makes SEPTA unique, is every regional rail line runs through a series of stations in and around downtown. It's one of the closest things in the United States to a European-style S-Bahn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Bahn

SEPTA is also is linked together with NJ Transit which is nice because it takes you to both Newark Penn Station and NYC Penn Station which you can travel in various directions from. In theory, you can get on and off commuter trains plus a subway trip from Newark, Delaware to New Haven, CT. I have done to it from Philly to Bridgeport, CT a few times. In a country that isn't big on rail travel, it's a pretty interesting experience imo.

Just putting it into google maps, it actually surprises me the estimated time on the regional rail from Newark, DE to New Haven, CT is only 45 mins longer than the Acela from the same stations. That's kind of sad Amtrak isn't better.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:41 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Oh just for the record.

The MBTA Commuter Rail absolutely sucks. Complete joke.

Only positive thing they have is the unlimited $10 pass fore the weekends. Other than that, its complete garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City