Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 09:21 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

MBTA gotta be the worst at the moment. Entire or a line sh it for a month. Daily disasters. Large portion of commuter rail and green line sh it. Red line shut down eminent. I’ve never seen to this bad. The entire system has been on weekend schedule for a month- what’s left of it- and will be until the winter

New cars are 3 years after their expected deployment date and consistently having issues.

Green Line Extension opened like 2 months ago and is already shut down.

New fate collection system is over a year late and cost like 8 x per capita what NYCS did.

The orange line trains look absol it let horrific last time knvistrd. Just so much damn rust. It was all peeling off the paint and what not. And the leaks, the homeless people and the fact that Reddit can name a frequent stabbed on the red line and we all I think the level of crime in the MBTA has gotten worse and is underestimated. It’s not uncommon to see fight, chases or be threatened in the MBTA. Over half of MBTA riders say they feel somewhat unsafe or just flat out unsafe on the MBTA. It certainly feels more dangerous than the city itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 09:33 PM

4,526 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
MBTA gotta be the worst at the moment. Entire or a line sh it for a month. Daily disasters. Large portion of commuter rail and green line sh it. Red line shut down eminent. I’ve never seen to this bad. The entire system has been on weekend schedule for a month- what’s left of it- and will be until the winter

New cars are 3 years after their expected deployment date and consistently having issues.

Green Line Extension opened like 2 months ago and is already shut down.

New fate collection system is over a year late and cost like 8 x per capita what NYCS did.

The orange line trains look absol it let horrific last time knvistrd. Just so much damn rust. It was all peeling off the paint and what not. And the leaks, the homeless people and the fact that Reddit can name a frequent stabbed on the red line and we all I think the level of crime in the MBTA has gotten worse and is underestimated. It’s not uncommon to see fight, chases or be threatened in the MBTA. Over half of MBTA riders say they feel somewhat unsafe or just flat out unsafe on the MBTA. It certainly feels more dangerous than the city itself.
This is sad b/c, in my book, Boston has been the most aggressive mid-to-large major metro city in building a substantial rapid transit system -- the first such city to do so in this country. MBTA's rapid transit system has created and maintains NYC-level densities at several stations. I have heard many horror stories of MBTA rail deterioration in recent years, however, and watching news video of terrified passengers kicking out Orange Line train windows on that burning/stalled train on the bridge and jumping into the Mystic River really brought home how truly bad-off the system has become. Inexcusable for such a historic legacy rail transit-dependent city.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:40 PM

719 posts, read 493,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Charlotte is doing the worst by far. There’s several articles on it too.

This source below is great to generate a graph on the ridership of various transit agencies. You can see how much transit has recovered and what the ridership numbers are.

https://transitapp.com/APTA
CATS needs to hurry up and build the silver line to the airport. This should of been done 15 years ago...

Old 08-27-2022, 12:30 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Charlotte is doing the worst by far. There’s several articles on it too.

This source below is great to generate a graph on the ridership of various transit agencies. You can see how much transit has recovered and what the ridership numbers are.

https://transitapp.com/APTA
The team behind the Transit app have to be the best technogeeks devoted to making transit better for everyone in the country. I recommended the "Best of Philly" award we gave the app in 2017. (It certainly beats SEPTA's own app for user-friendlieess and functionality, though you can't yet purchase fares through it the way you can using Transit in some other cities.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I hadn't researched SEPTA as much. But I'm sure the transit in the Philly area, probably would be decent. And I bet commuter rail also would be decent, as well.
I not only ride SEPTA every day, I've written about it quite a bit, as I have transit and transportation in general, mainly for Next City. One of the things I say about SEPTA is that "it's not as bad as its detractors crack it down to be." Leaving aside the appearance of the stations, or the return of homeless encampments to some of the entrances and concourses, the system on the whole does a good job of getting people around Philadelphia reasonably quickly and efficiently.

I think one of the reasons why people tend to dump on SEPTA is because many transit fans are rail-centric —*and Philadelphia got only one-sixth of all the rapid transit lines the City Councils said should be built back in 1913, after the city, dissatisfied with how long it took the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company to build the city's first subway line (1902-07), decided it should do the job itself. It then promptly took seven years to complete the first line it built, though World War I materials shortages did contribute somewhat to the longer build time. Once work resumed on the second line — also begun in 1915 but shut down two years later for lack of funds — resumed in 1925, work on the initial segment was completed in a relatively speedy three years. That line, btw, is one of only two four-track subway lines not located in New York; the other's in Chicago. It operates local and express service from the start of the service day until 9 p.m. six days a week (no express service at all on Sundays except for special trains to sports events in South Philadelphia, at the line's southern end).

But still, our city's relatively skeletal rapid transit system is held against it by many. I usually tell people, "If you really want to get around Philadelphia, learn the buses."

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
MTA- New York City
MBTA- Boston/Providence
MARTA- Atlanta
CTA/RTA- Chicago
BART- San Francisco / San Jose
WMATA- Washington DC
SEPTA - Philadelphia
LACMTA - Los Angeles
Now, what the letters stand for:

MBTA: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (usually referred to as simply "the T" after its easily recognized logo)
MARTA: Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (there's a mildly racist joke about what those initials "really stand for")
CTA: Chicago Transit Authority, which was what the band we know as Chicago called itself before the real CTA sued to stop them from doing so
RTA: Regoinal Transit Authority (of Northeastern Illinois), the umbrella agency that oversees the CTA system oin the city, the PACE suburban bus network and Metra regional rail
BART: Bay Area Rapid Transit, which operates only the rapid transit system in the San Francisco Bay Area. Separate agencies operate mass transit in the City and County of San Francisco, Alameda and Contra Costa counties, San Mateo County and San Jose, hence the reference to "balkanized" transit in the Bay Area
WMATA: Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority
SEPTA: Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
LACMTA: Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, usually called "Metro"

And, of course,

MTA: Metropolitan Transportation Authority of the State of New York, the 800-pound gorilla of American mass transit agencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Ironically the only part of SEPTA I see that I would describe that way is near the concourse between PATCO and SEPTA where hobos hangout. The entire concourse under city hall really should be more of a priority though. It's a relic of a different time and is dingey.

One thing that makes SEPTA unique, is every regional rail line runs through a series of stations in and around downtown. It's one of the closest things in the United States to a European-style S-Bahn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Bahn

SEPTA is also is linked together with NJ Transit which is nice because it takes you to both Newark Penn Station and NYC Penn Station which you can travel in various directions from. In theory, you can get on and off commuter trains plus a subway trip from Newark, Delaware to New Haven, CT. I have done to it from Philly to Bridgeport, CT a few times. In a country that isn't big on rail travel, it's a pretty interesting experience imo.

Just putting it into google maps, it actually surprises me the estimated time on the regional rail from Newark, DE to New Haven, CT is only 45 mins longer than the Acela from the same stations. That's kind of sad Amtrak isn't better.
Regional Rail has much more potential to serve the region than SEPTA has exploited to date, and lots of advocates, not to mention some inside the agency itself, are pushing to change the way SEPTA runs it in order to realize that potential:

Reimagining Regional Rail | SEPTA

A companion planning process seeks to rationalize the bus network so that it provides better and more frequent service:

Bus Revolution | SEPTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
When taking into account the extent to which the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania underfunds its transit systems, SEPTA is doing pretty well. Unlike other transit agencies, the system is not falling apart. There has been a big push to pursue capital renewal on its existing assets, which has led to a greater degree of reliability on a system which has certain assets that date back to the 1850s. Furthermore, SEPTA has not had a major accident resulting in a fatality since before I was born in 1995. The worst thing that has happened at SEPTA in recent years was the removal of Silverliner Vs from service back in 2016. Finally, SEPTA offers what few other US transit systems offer: some degree of late-night and 24/7 service.

I've been taking SEPTA for as long as I've been alive. I grew up taking the El and 52 bus in West Philly, and now I commute to my office in Center City from my home in Northwest Philly via the Regional Rail. I also live car-free, so I'm an experienced bus, trolley, trolleybus, and subway user. IMO, the only SEPTA mode that has grown consistently worse is the El. This is not only due to the people who ride it (primarily from Kenisngton), but also duality e to the near-daily occurrences of equipment breakdowns. Other than the El, I usually have a pleasant ride on SEPTA.
The fortunes of US mass transit agencies seem to rise and fall over time.

Boston's MBTA was considered one of the class acts of American mass transit when I attended college there in the 1970s. Today, America's first subway is probably its most decrepit.

In the 1970s and 1980s, New York held that title, until a $12 billion repair program brought it back to good health. Now it's reaching the point where it needs another one of those.

In the 1990s, it was the CTA that was in sad shape. There was one incident where a train on one of the kinds derailed while stopped because the rails slipped out from under it. Then that system got a huge infusion of money for repairs.

Washington's dirty little secret was that WMATA was really a construction company more than it was a transit system operator. It had a horrible safety culture and even worse maintenance, and the 2009 Takoma crash on the Red Line, where a train at speed plowed into the back of one that was stopped, killing dozens, revealed all the termites in the woodwork. (That wasn't the first crash on the Metro, either: the first fatality accident occurred in 1982, and there have been five major collisions, 17 derailments (including the incident in 1992 that led to the first fatalities on WMATA Metrorail) and several smoke incidents, including one that killed a passenger, in the system's 46 years of service.) It still took a couple of years after Takoma for WMATA to really get serious about cleaning up its safety and maintenance act. The 7000-series problem aside, the system is now generally safe to ride; it's a shame many fewer people are riding it.

By comparison, that 1993 wreck TheProf mentioned above — I was riding the trolley subway to work when it happened, and we had to be evacuated through the tunnel to the nearest station because nothing would be moving for quite a while — was only the second fatality accident on Philadelphia rapid transit in the 86 years from its opening up until then, and there hasn't been another one since then (the first was in 1961). There was one other wreck on Regional Rail in the late 1990s that killed an operator and injured about a dozen passengers.

In 2013, the American Public Transit Association named SEPTA the "Best Large Transit System" in the country. I told those who were scratching their heads at the honor that SEPTA won it because it kept the system in working order using no more than duct tape and baling wire.

PhilliesPhan2013: It's been a minute! You need to come visit me in my new digs on Germantown's nicer west side. Drop me a line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoM2000 View Post
Yeah, why are the CTA's train cars small?
Becaiuse the tracks and tunnels are designed to handle cars no longer than (I think) 40 feet, and the tunnel dimensions are also narrow. From the late 1940s until the late 1960s, the bulk of the CTA's fleet of 'L' cars consited of PCC trolleys that had been destined for Chicago Surface Lines before that company abruptly shut down streetcar service in 1948. The PCCs were refashioned into rapid transit cars.

Old 08-27-2022, 04:35 AM

51 posts, read 29,163 times
In my experience, LA Metro seemed to fall off hard during the pandemic; with stay at home orders, operations and maintenance were cut massively and trains become much more dirty and unsafe. It's gotten better recently though; the E line was virtually empty last year, but nowadays I'm noticing trains are starting to return to levels of crowdedness not seen since 2019. In the past few months, security has also been boosted a bit, which is nice but not the main issue for why the trains grew dirty unkept and unsafe 2 years before (lack of riders).

Old 08-28-2022, 03:42 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
This is sad b/c, in my book, Boston has been the most aggressive mid-to-large major metro city in building a substantial rapid transit system -- the first such city to do so in this country. MBTA's rapid transit system has created and maintains NYC-level densities at several stations. I have heard many horror stories of MBTA rail deterioration in recent years, however, and watching news video of terrified passengers kicking out Orange Line train windows on that burning/stalled train on the bridge and jumping into the Mystic River really brought home how truly bad-off the system has become. Inexcusable for such a historic legacy rail transit-dependent city.
The system is straight up bullsh**. It’s so wildly unreliable it’s more like a sport than a legit means of travel.

Never mind it’s not nearly as extensive inthe southern half of the city as it is in inner suburbs. It’s just BS. Boston having been first back i. Like 1897 doesn’t mean it’s been one of the most aggrieved since. That ended in the 1980s. Since then they’ve done everything in their power possible to make it an underfunded and unpleasant system.

That video of the fire on the roan line? Absolutely not the first, I remember just a few years ago a flaming train filled Jackson square station up with smoke and folks had to kick out the windows to escape this was like 2017, but it’s happened several times since. On Reddit I’ve seen photos of people having to walk the green lines tunnels like 3/4 the last 3/4 months. Because trains broke down.

Last month on the commuter rail people were left on a train with no power and no communication from a conductor for 90 minutes and it was 95 degrees out, neighbors inthe area came to hell the passenger by bringing a ladder so folks could climb out of the train..see for yourself https://twitter.com/qpalfrey/status/...TlWbuy69s4_9aQ

I once rode on a train where the door didn’t close for a stop (red line). People screaming on the train about it until someone ran out the car at the next stop and to the front. So many bad experiences over the course of my lifetime. Ugh.

Old 08-28-2022, 04:18 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I bet you guys would find this two-part article interesting.
For Mass Transit Agencies, a Fiscal Cliff Looms

For Mass Transit Agencies, a Fiscal Cliff Looms (Part II)

Part 1 says DC, Boston, and LA are in the worst shape financially, worst being DC hurdling towards a fiscal cliff. Part 2 says NYC, Chicago, and Philly are next.
LACMTA may be in the best financial shape in it's history. Unlike many agencies it gets it's operating revenue mostly from taxes, which are far exceeding what was budgeted, and not from fare box recovery. The result is that they don't have to attract riders by operating a good service and in fact are likely in better financial shape the less service that they operate.

Service-wise LA is a disaster. It's gotten somewhat better but the metro board is strongly opposed to enforcing any rules or laws that aren't causing immediate injury, so stations and trains are overrun with drug addicts openly smoking meth, shooting heroin, and behaving badly. There have been two murders in the last few weeks and all crime is way up.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:57 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Mbta neglected service so much in favor for exapnsions and shiny new stations and trains.

When you have the debt from the big dig and an older system in general, you couldnt have possibly made worse decisions.

I hope all these expansions they cant even run were worth it

Old 08-29-2022, 10:19 AM

276 posts, read 168,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burginsnoff View Post
Atleast Charlotte is actively expanding their light rail. Atlanta is by far the worst....years of "studies" and "reports" with nothing to show for it. The last actual new transit built in Atlanta was the downtown streetcar which is useless.
What active expansion is Charlotte doing right now?

Old 08-29-2022, 10:53 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Mbta neglected service so much in favor for exapnsions and shiny new stations and trains.

When you have the debt from the big dig and an older system in general, you couldnt have possibly made worse decisions.

I hope all these expansions they cant even run were worth it
You mean the MBTA caught the Washington disease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City