Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Gap is larger
Nashville has a stronger lead over Memphis, than Charlotte has over Raleigh 57 81.43%
Charlotte has a stronger lead over Raleigh, than Nashville has over Memphis 8 11.43%
Tied - the gaps are basically the same, or are indistinguishable in size 2 2.86%
I disagree with the whole premise. I think Memphis already has a lead over Nashville. -OR- I think Raleigh already has a lead over Charlotte. 3 4.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 06:33 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
So Basically You're saying Memphis was never a Boom Town like You Would Imagine. But to say Memphis was Never A Major City is still Erroneous
Again, it's peak metro was about where the Triangle is today relative to the rest of the country (top 35), and few would consider the Triangle a major metro at the moment. The top 14 city ranking alluded to (1980) is basically the equivalent of Jacksonville now. Large city but not a major one.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:48 AM

309 posts, read 308,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Memphis might be the most famous city of the four (I’d say Nashville, but it’s a judgment call). But Memphis, outside it’s musical contributions (which are vast), has never been an otherwise major US city. It’s been overshadowed by other Mississippi River cities (St Louis, New Orleans, and Minneapolis being the Big 3) for its entirety, and I’m not sure it ever peaked in the top 30 cities/metro areas.

Does it’s culture mean Memphis is more important today than the Triangle? Maybe. It’s kept more historical cache than many peers of say 1950 (where it squeezed in between Rochester and Dayton). What the value of Beale Street or Graceland is in a conversation involving Tobacco Road schools and RTP is definitely in the eye of the beholder.
Memphis is easily more important today to the everyday person. It is a massive logistical hub containing some of the most critical rail and road crossings over this country's most prominent river, while being home to one of the world's largest air cargo transporters in Federal Express. Whatever is getting trucked from the west coast to the east coast uses Interstate 40, bisecting Memphis. Being at the nexus of two cross country interstates with another under construction, and having a regional interstate connector on the city's outskirts, Memphis is a lynchpin in this nation's intermodal transport infrastructure.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:46 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Memphis is easily more important today to the everyday person. It is a massive logistical hub containing some of the most critical rail and road crossings over this country's most prominent river, while being home to one of the world's largest air cargo transporters in Federal Express. Whatever is getting trucked from the west coast to the east coast uses Interstate 40, bisecting Memphis. Being at the nexus of two cross country interstates with another under construction, and having a regional interstate connector on the city's outskirts, Memphis is a lynchpin in this nation's intermodal transport infrastructure.
As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, 3 of the 4 cities being discussed here are on I-40, with the Raleigh metro having the crossroads of I-40 & I-95. It's not a differentiator for Memphis.

No doubt that Memphis has more brand identity and cultural relevancy through its longer history among the US's larger cities, but that doesn't make it more important today.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:56 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Combined, the two TN cities have more cultural relevance than the two NC cities.
Combined, the two NC cities have more economic relevance than the two TN cities.
Combined, the two TN cities have a strong tourism component while the two NC cities don't.
Combined, the two NC cities have stronger growth than the two TN cities, though it's really Memphis that's the outlier here with the other 3 having very strong growth.
Combined, the two TN cities have stronger and deeper brand identities than the two in NC.

What's interesting is that there was a time not so long ago when Memphis was the largest southern city proper east of the Mississippi. Today it's quickly diminishing in relevance in the the same region as its peers rapidly expand.

At their CSA levels, Raleigh and Nashville are neck and neck in population with the difference between the two being only 1201 people with Raleigh's growing a bit faster.

As a side fact, 3 of these cities are along I-40 while Charlotte is not.
Nashville would have more in its CSA if Clarksville were included. Montgomery county has 220,000 people, while the Clarksville metro has more than 300,000 people. Clarksville is a very fast growing region. It is interesting that Raleigh's media market is larger than Nashville and only slightly behind Charlotte. What Charlotte has been able to do to position itself as a powerhouse region is amazing, considering it is not a media darling. I can't wait to see Charlotte reach 3 million and also open its first medical school.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:39 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
GDP by CSA in 2020:

Charlotte- $191 billion
Raleigh- $151 billion
Nashville- $140 billion
Memphis- $78 billion

The Tennessee gap seems bigger and the two seem on different trajectories.

But beyond that, Charlotte CSA covers only about a quarter of NC’s population, with the Triangle around 20%. Conversely Nashville has nearly 30% of Tennessee’s population, and Memphis is about 15%. In fact more Tennesseeans call Knoxville CSA home than Memphis.
Does the Memphis CSA population figure, include those in DeSoto County in Mississippi? I thought Memphis(while stagnant) may've been slightly ahead in population vs. Knoxville, but maybe that isn't the case?

Old 08-30-2022, 02:46 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,474,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Does the Memphis CSA population figure, include those in DeSoto County in Mississippi? I thought Memphis(while stagnant) may've been slightly ahead in population vs. Knoxville, but maybe that isn't the case?
The Memphis metropolitan area population is roughly 1,336,000 (2020), while the Knoxville metropolitan area population is roughly 868,000 (2020).

The consolidated Memphis metropolitan area is roughly 1.4 million, while the Knoxville consolidated metro area is almost 1.1 million.

Knoxville's CMSA will most likely pass the Memphis CMSA in the next 20-30 years or so, if growth stays strong for the Knoxville region and if the Memphis region stays sluggish.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:56 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Memphis has an extensive cultural, logistical, and urban legacy that's unmatched by all the cities on this list. Yes, Raleigh may be more popular, more healthy, and have a more prominent university.

The problem is Joe Public cares about none of that.
So why are a bunch of Joe Publics moving to the place in droves and have been for several years now?

Old 08-30-2022, 07:11 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, 3 of the 4 cities being discussed here are on I-40, with the Raleigh metro having the crossroads of I-40 & I-95. It's not a differentiator for Memphis.
Not by itself. I-40's intersection with the Mississippi River is the differentiator.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:06 AM

679 posts, read 497,656 times
Quote:

No doubt that Memphis has more brand identity and cultural relevancy through its longer history among the US's larger cities, but that doesn't make it more important today.

A bit of a stretch to compare the 40/55 interchange and the 40/95 one. I guess by your logic, we can say that 40 passes through Charlotte (metro) as well

Old 08-31-2022, 07:47 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
The original post asked about the metros both nationally and within their respective states. On that score, I thought it worth mentioning that more people in Tennessee call Knoxville CSA home (1.15 million) than Memphis CSA (1.04 million). Memphis is larger overall, but not within the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City