Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the most non-residents claiming it?
New York CIty 24 15.58%
Boston 15 9.74%
Philadelphia 6 3.90%
Chicago 10 6.49%
Washington D.C. 18 11.69%
Los Angeles 21 13.64%
Miami 7 4.55%
San Francisco 9 5.84%
Atlanta 37 24.03%
Other 7 4.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 07:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Chicago is definitely up there. I'll never forget meeting a group of girls in Vegas who claimed they were from "Chicago". And when they asked were I was from and I stated Maryland then they gave an awkward groan like no one of relevance lives there, as I was determined not to claim "DC". I had no time to go into explanation of living in the DC metro area, and just 5 miles from DC itself.

Come to find out once exchanging Facebook and info that they were from Northbrook, and I live probably 2/3 times closer to Downtown DC as they do Downtown Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 07:26 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Chicago is definitely up there. I'll never forget meeting a group of girls in Vegas who claimed they were from "Chicago". And when they asked were I was from and I stated Maryland they gave an awkward groan like no one of relevance lives there, as I was determined not to claim "DC". I had no time to go into explanation of living in the DC metro area.

Come to find out once exchanging Facebook and info that they were from Northbrook, and I live probably 2/3 times closed to downtown DC as they do Downtown Chicago.
Just goes to show that social pressure to lie, either conscious or unconscious is there.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:38 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burginsnoff View Post
Eh, most people claim bay area over SF which makes sense
By far..."The Bay Area' is a unifying term that catches the entire region like a net----within the Bay Area tho, many if not most people in SF proper and Oakland are extremely particular in making it known that they are specifically SF or Oakland-everybody else just says 'the bay' or 'bay area'. In my experience.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:52 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Many suburbanites who claim to live in the Twin Cities actually live in neither Minneapolis nor St. Paul.

Old 12-02-2023, 07:10 AM

8,610 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC is probably the worst of these because these people don't even live in the same state claiming they live in DC. Different license plate, license, area code, and many other things.
That's like people in NW Indiana claiming Chicago. Well, technically it's Chicagoland.

Old 12-02-2023, 07:42 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
This happens everywhere. I’ve heard people from Connecticut claim to live in NYC even though it’s 30 miles away, people in Fort Lauderdale say they’re Miami even though it’s 20 miles away, and (the best one) someone from Fredericksburg say they lived in DC even though it’s 60 miles away.

Old 12-02-2023, 07:52 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Went to my sister’s college graduation in DC. The people next to us asked my dad where he was from. My dad, who had lived in Raleigh for 40 years at that point, claimed his hometown Pittsboro (about 45 minutes outside Raleigh). They mistook it for Pittsburgh, and said they had friends from there. My dad just grinned.

My dad aside, most people like to claim the closest place most people would know. The further away I am, the broader I’ll get on where I’m from. In the US I say Raleigh, abroad I say NC. Friends that live in the suburbs switch between saying they’re from Raleigh and their actual town depending on audience.

Old 12-02-2023, 08:11 AM

6,542 posts, read 12,037,130 times
I think Seattle is another one to mention. It seems like everywhere around the Puget Sound area is referred to as "Seattle", but it could also be that they don't say Washington as much to avoid confusion with DC, even though DC is rarely referred to as Washington.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:07 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Went to my sister’s college graduation in DC. The people next to us asked my dad where he was from. My dad, who had lived in Raleigh for 40 years at that point, claimed his hometown Pittsboro (about 45 minutes outside Raleigh). They mistook it for Pittsburgh, and said they had friends from there. My dad just grinned.

My dad aside, most people like to claim the closest place most people would know. The further away I am, the broader I’ll get on where I’m from. In the US I say Raleigh, abroad I say NC. Friends that live in the suburbs switch between saying they’re from Raleigh and their actual town depending on audience.
What I'm curious about is do people in Durham say Raleigh or vice versa.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:26 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
What I'm curious about is do people in Durham say Raleigh or vice versa.
Durhamites probably say Durham or the Triangle or NC. I think the Triangle moniker is less used by the Raleigh/Wake County side as a descriptor as the city’s name recognition has kind of taken off over the last decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City