Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 12:40 PM

5,032 posts, read 5,716,145 times

Advertisements

Just how old is the toddler exactly? And only one? Just trying to make sure I understand better.

Access to Beaches: I mean, there isn't a perfect answer here. As distance goes, Savannah is closer to Tybee than Tampa is to any of it's beaches. There's also Hilton Head. I think it also depends on what types of factors you like in a beach. Tampa Bay area's are generally more highly acclaimed, probably as a combination of the tourist and resort infrastructure present at some, particularly Clearwater, and also, the powdery soft sand which you could argue creates a prettier aesthetic. However, the Atlantic does have advantages too. Namely, it will likely be a little more breezy, and the water will likely be a little more cool and refreshing to swim in. I'm an Atlantic beaches person. And, I like the hard packed sand that makes it easier to walk on, and there may be a wider variety of water sports on the Atlantic side, such as perhaps slightly better surfing. But, YMMV. Each person is going to tell you Atlantic or Gulf is better for a variety of different reasons, but ultimately, it's about what you prefer.

To tell you the truth, also, though you may have your own reasons why these are or are not on there, but Charleston is probably closer to beaches and coastline overall than Savannah is, and St Petersburg is definitely quite a bit closer to beaches than Tampa itself is. Just something worth considering.

To your point about not having been to either... and going in the summer.. I was gonna note that San Diego appears to only be 3 hrs. 20 mins. ; ). Summer in both Savannah and Tampa Bay are... special. But, you live in Houston area, so you kinda already probably knew that-it just wouldn't be any big change from that is all.

I think as other posters have mentioned, the "things to do" category is gonna vary widely based on what the people in your group, regardless of age, like to do.

If you think as a whole, your group's idea of a good time might be hitting pro sports (baseball) games, theme parks (Busch Gardens) or zoos/aquariums, and perhaps checking out Salvador Dali or Dale Chihuly art? Then, Tampa Bay will be your answer, but honestly, other than Busch Gardens, I would base yourselves more on the Pinellas/St Petersburg or St Pete Beach side, depending on what you want to do. Tampa Bay, being much bigger as a whole, is gonna have much bigger level of amenities in a number of ways than Savannah size place might, just as a matter fact-it might be more similar to the types of things you'd be used to doing in Houston area, but slightly scaled down area wise, yet more touristic-kiddos might also like Dinosaur World, or even trekking across state at least for a day, perhaps to Disney Springs.

But, if you think your group might be more into some of the other things you described, walking around an old, character filled downtown, checking out historical sites, and I'll say, being in a place with a more laid back vibe? To me, the laid back vibe answer is gonna be Savannah hands down. I think there are a fair amount of things to entertain youth in Savannah too. SCADStory is an ultra cool experience that your kids should absolutely go with you to in Savannah, and the Wormsloe Historic Site is an amazing, almost ethereal place to explore around. Also check out the sorta mini natural history museum with dino fossils, etc. inside the JW Marriott Plant District. As you mention too, from Savannah, day trip options include Charleston, but also perhaps Fernandina Beach, Jekyll Island, St. Augustine, Beaufort, or Hilton Head. Quite a bit of history in the area, and I don't subscribe to the idea that kids can't find that interesting, or at least interesting stuff within it.

As food goes, affordability really depends on where you are at and where you are picking, but I feel like you can find reasonably affordable options within both. The big differences are what each area is known for:

Savannah is really known for southern style, lowcountry cooking, and certain types of seafood dishes. It is pretty cool, because Savannah has some dishes because of it's long history and uniqueness, that are really sorta "endemic" to Savannah.

Tampa's unique foodie claims relatively speaking, probably come from being bigger overall and having slightly more offerings on that in a number of ways nationally... but as specific regional options go, Latin cuisine, but specifically Cuban, is particularly strong in Tampa, but also in a number of St Pete places, and in North Pinellas County/Tarpon Springs, Greek cuisine is particularly strong, so there is a level of quality in ethnic eats that Savannah doesn't quite have to that degree IMO.

I could go either way on these, and I think it would largely depend on personal interest factors as you said. I do think as Arcenal mentions, Savannah does have more of a sheer uniqueness factor to it nationally, and is also likely more laid back. But with that said, given your interests, I think you could have a very good time in Tampa too, with the amenities and options it provides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 07:53 PM

9,719 posts, read 9,480,452 times
I would choose Tampa. My family just came back from Savannah. Tampa has more things to do and feels cleaner and safer. Tampa has better beaches and attractions.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:25 PM

11,885 posts, read 8,127,573 times
For a vacation? I would choose Tampa because its near Orlando.

For a brief visit? I'd choose Savannah easily.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:41 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
For a vacation? I would choose Tampa because its near Orlando.

For a brief visit? I'd choose Savannah easily.
I would choose Orlando because it's near Tampa.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:43 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,681,136 times
I lean heavily towards Savannah. There's a bit of everything for everybody there with the historic sites, museums, and the beaches nearby. I think the toddler will be able to engage with much on any trip, so I guess one question is how old are the other kids and how much are you prioritizing their experiences?

I will say though, summer to me seems like a less than ideal time to go to either, and I'd like to throw out a kind of wild suggestion for beach vacations--have you considered heading up to Great Lakes beaches? They're glorious in the summer especially late summer and these cities usually are jam-packed with events and festivities during the summer. Even going out to Toronto is within your flight time, and Chicago and Milwaukee are even closer and pretty awesome.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-23-2022 at 12:32 AM..

Old 09-23-2022, 06:52 AM

12,224 posts, read 8,132,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I lean heavily towards Savannah. There's a bit of everything for everybody there with the historic sites, museums, and the beaches nearby. I think the toddler will be able to engage with much on any trip, so I guess one question is how old are the other kids and how much are you prioritizing their experiences?

I will say though, summer to me seems like a less than ideal time to go to either, and I'd like to throw out a kind of wild suggestion for beach vacations--have you considered heading up to Great Lakes beaches? They're glorious in the summer especially late summer and these cities usually are jam-packed with events and festivities during the summer. Even going out to Toronto is within your flight time, and Chicago and Milwaukee are even closer and pretty awesome.
+1 Great assessment.

Savannah is also the first planned city in America with great walkability, plenty of parks, great restaurants, fun bars, amazing food, nice people, access to good beaches and museums, etc.. There are also spooky ghost tours throughout the area.

I think it would benefit the family to visit Savannah more because there is so much you can learn from Savannah.

Old 09-23-2022, 02:28 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,654,132 times
Quote:

So the kids ages are:
1) 5 years old
2) 14 years old
3) 14 years old
4) 16 years old
5) under 1

So 3 teenagers, young child and a newborn. As far as your other suggestions. I thought about beaches in that area but we would have to drive to some of those Great Lake beaches from major airports and with this next trip we don't want to do too much driving away from the airport. Some of the Great Lake beaches I saw were about an hour or 2 from international airports. Also Chicago was my first choice but most of my family shot that one down. This trip they don't want to do too much big city walking in between places to visit. And I'm not gonna lie to you, Chicago's reputation exaggerated and all pretty much spooked some in my family from wanting to visit. As far as Toronto, thought about it but my budget for flight tickets is under $425.

Old 09-23-2022, 03:13 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,681,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So the kids ages are:
1) 5 years old
2) 14 years old
3) 14 years old
4) 16 years old
5) under 1

So 3 teenagers, young child and a newborn. As far as your other suggestions. I thought about beaches in that area but we would have to drive to some of those Great Lake beaches from major airports and with this next trip we don't want to do too much driving away from the airport. Some of the Great Lake beaches I saw were about an hour or 2 from international airports. Also Chicago was my first choice but most of my family shot that one down. This trip they don't want to do too much big city walking in between places to visit. And I'm not gonna lie to you, Chicago's reputation exaggerated and all pretty much spooked some in my family from wanting to visit. As far as Toronto, thought about it but my budget for flight tickets is under $425.

I see. I think unless amusement parks are a big part of things, then I'd go with Savannah. If you're flying there, then I suppose you'll be renting a car or taking rideshare/cabs?

For Toronto, Chicago, and Milwaukee, there are beaches within the cities in addition to those surrounding it. Too bad about the family not having it. I think Chicago has a wonderful variety of in-city beaches--just that the time period where they're bustling is short though it's also exactly the time when you'd be going. I understand being spooked by the media blitz on crime in Chicago, though these are concentrated in parts of the city that you almost certainly will not be visiting.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-23-2022 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-25-2022, 08:45 PM

94,015 posts, read 124,866,495 times
Quote:
I see. I think unless amusement parks are a big part of things, then I'd go with Savannah. If you're flying there, then I suppose you'll be renting a car or taking rideshare/cabs?

For Toronto, Chicago, and Milwaukee, there are beaches within the cities in addition to those surrounding it. Too bad about the family not having it. I think Chicago has a wonderful variety of in-city beaches--just that the time period where they're bustling is short though it's also exactly the time when you'd be going. I understand being spooked by the media blitz on crime in Chicago, though these are concentrated in parts of the city that you almost certainly will not be visiting.
While smaller, Rochester actually has 2 lakeside beaches on Lake Ontario in/right next to the city(Ontario/aka Charlotte Beach Park and Durand-Eastman Beach) and an amusement park(Seabreeze). There are taxis and even buses available from the airport. It also has the Strong Museum of Play, a nice Science museum, historic sites honoring Frederick Douglass and more here: https://www.visitrochester.com/

With that said, that could be for another trip.

As for this situation, I say go with Tampa due to likely having more to do based on size and options.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-25-2022 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City