Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 06:13 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
...Why?

The state doesn't have any major HQs AFAIK besides Nike. The income taxes are high to the point that it's common for people to live in the Washington suburbs just to avoid them. Minimum wages are above average for the US. Educational attainment is average. What's the draw for corporations?
Most of the economic growth is concentrated in the Portland metro. It receives a large number of college-educated migrants from other states and has a relatively high personal income, which is likely what helps drive the growth.

Also, personal income tax is not the only thing that impacts tax burden for businesses. There’s also sales tax, corporate income tax, gross receipts tax, types of tax credits available, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 06:14 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
These people are pulling lists out of a hat. NH(LOL) at 5, Texas not in the Top 10, Montana in the Top 20, Florida #3 in economic health. A joke.

Last edited by Marv95; 10-12-2022 at 06:25 PM..

Old 10-12-2022, 06:18 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Connecticut is the 2nd wealthiest state in the country, and isn’t in the top 1/2?

Pretty much everything else is peanuts compared to median incomes

Old 10-12-2022, 07:31 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Connecticut is the 2nd wealthiest state in the country, and isn’t in the top 1/2?

Pretty much everything else is peanuts compared to median incomes
Median income is meaningless unless it's adjusted for purchasing power locally, especially in this age of never-ending inflation.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:46 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Median income is meaningless unless it's adjusted for purchasing power locally, especially in this age of never-ending inflation.
Connecticut is a pretty cheap state. (Median home price is below national average) It’s taxes are about 1-2% of income higher than most other states so you’re talking about $1,000 when a household make an extra $13-18,000.

In your example, the reason inflation is a big deal is because median income is truly the only thing that counts.

Since real incomes dropped nobody really cares that employment growth has been gangbusters in the last year.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:10 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
But a lot of the big money is made in New York.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
And FL at 33rd in innovation with all the recent changes in Miami? Miami currently easily has a top10 tech scene in the US. Behind Bay area, NYC, LA, Boston, Seattle, and Austin.
Where's this top 10 tech scene in Miami? I live here and don't see it. Sure some of the rich executives are settling into Florida for tax purposes, but where are the companies creating thousands of 6 figure jobs in Miami? While it may have an emerging tech scene, it certainly isn't top 10.

Old 10-12-2022, 10:24 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
These people are pulling lists out of a hat. NH(LOL) at 5, Texas not in the Top 10, Montana in the Top 20, Florida #3 in economic health. A joke.
NH is #5 because:
1) Rich suburbs of the Boston area. A top 3 metropolitan area by HDI, GDP per capita and education attainments.
2) Tax Haven and relative low COL with high paying jobs because of #1
3) Natural Beauty
4) Lowest Poverty Rate, 2nd lowest crime rate

Yes its not diverse But it provides a very high QOL for a lot of people

Old 10-13-2022, 01:02 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Where's this top 10 tech scene in Miami? I live here and don't see it. Sure some of the rich executives are settling into Florida for tax purposes, but where are the companies creating thousands of 6 figure jobs in Miami? While it may have an emerging tech scene, it certainly isn't top 10.
I don't know much about this field, but I've heard it's big in crypto these days.

Old 10-13-2022, 02:56 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
NH is #5 because:
1) Rich suburbs of the Boston area. A top 3 metropolitan area by HDI, GDP per capita and education attainments.
2) Tax Haven and relative low COL with high paying jobs because of #1
3) Natural Beauty
4) Lowest Poverty Rate, 2nd lowest crime rate

Yes its not diverse But it provides a very high QOL for a lot of people
I wasn't doubting how pleasant NH is. But I don't see what the last two (crime rate and natural beauty) have to do with Economic growth and strength of an economy at all. I'm surprised you didn't put Dartmouth on there, as an Ivy League school in an area of only 1.4 million people was how I justified it's really high ranking. Even with some Boston suburbs how much innovation is really going on in the outer burbs that are located in New Hampshire? To me it seems like a really odd pick outside the Ivy shoutout. Having a wealthy population is good but if that population has too leave your state (most likely to very innovative Boston) to get into the upper echelons of society, I don't see how it ranks so high. It's one thing if Nashua and Manchester were cities with sprawling campuses, large industrial corridors or mega-hospital regions. But from what I've heard this isn't true. It seems Southern NH is simply highly residential and has little to no commercial pull.

Also while I don't expect Texas to be top 3. I'm really surprised it didn't sneak into the top 10. The states ahead of it except NH and Oregon make a lot of sense though. I would think it would be the highest ranked Southern State, but I could see why all the other ones passed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City