Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 09:21 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
CT reduced taxes this past fiscal. What is this about?
It has also allocated billions in advanced payments toward its pension obligations which were significantly underfunded in the past. That investment so far means saving $440 million a year. That’s real fiscal responsibility. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2022, 09:24 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I mean, wasn’t cutting gov spending the whole reason for nixing county govs?

CT definitely wasn’t overpriced when I was there. Got my apartment in Groton for dirt cheap and it was comfy. The earlier point about decades of underfunding of cities and cut off waterfronts is definitely true, though.

I also don’t agree that CT is particularly segregated. New London Co felt pretty diverse and integrated for a small and relatively isolated metro area, though the sub base was probably a big factor in that.
Yeah i dont think CT is overpriced. You can get a very nice home in a really nice suburb for less than 500k.

I have so many friends and my parents’ friends who live in Glastonbury. They are 1 hour and change to Boston and are there almost every weekend. The homes are very modestly priced for the immense quality of the towns.

Connecticut does the suburbs the best CT Suburbs>MA suburbs. Without a single doubt.

But my issue in CT lies with the cities of Hartford, New London, New Haven and Waterbury. If CT fixed up on reasons we stated above… it would be an absolute monster of a state

Old 10-16-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No no. We were comparing NJ to CT.

In almost every way, NJ is better positioned over CT.

I loved CT at first, but im starting to get more and more concerned the more I dig beneath its surface.

Like the many reasons we have stated above, i wont rehash, CT is constantly making poor legislative decisions that make it very hard for current residents to live in or prospective residents to move to.
Wait, how exactly is New Jersey better positioned than Connecticut? If there is one state with higher taxes than Connecticut, it’s New Jersey. New Jersey also has continually allowed its character to be destroyed by sprawl and bad urban planning. It’s the one thing no one here in Connecticut wants, it is to become like New Jersey.

And what exact legislative decisions are you saying make it hard to live here? Also what is so concerning as you dig beneath the surface? Im not seeing anything like you say. Jay

Old 10-16-2022, 09:53 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
It's going to be interesting to see what impact abortion rights would have on states like Texas. I feel it takes out some of the appeal of Austin at least among the younger generations.

Old 10-16-2022, 10:01 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wait, how exactly is New Jersey better positioned than Connecticut? If there is one state with higher taxes than Connecticut, it’s New Jersey. New Jersey also has continually allowed its character to be destroyed by sprawl and bad urban planning. It’s the one thing no one here in Connecticut wants, it is to become like New Jersey.

And what exact legislative decisions are you saying make it hard to live here? Also what is so concerning as you dig beneath the surface? Im not seeing anything like you say. Jay
Mostly it’s actually adjacent to New York City rather than starting 30 miles out from Manhattan

Old 10-16-2022, 11:03 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
CT reduced taxes this past fiscal. What is this about?
It instituted an income tax in '91 instead of doing what it should have done, which is to cut the enormous amounts of fat and bloat that exists in government at every level.

Old 10-16-2022, 11:05 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
It's going to be interesting to see what impact abortion rights would have on states like Texas. I feel it takes out some of the appeal of Austin at least among the younger generations.
My guess is not much. People who feel strongly enough about it wouldn't have moved to Texas in the first place and a number of large employers offer out of state travel for abortions anyway.

Old 10-16-2022, 11:28 AM

543 posts, read 558,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Gen Z's a pretty cynical bunch. Instead of "one side always good, other side always bad" mentality of millennials, it's a "whatever side it is, it's meant to screw us over" attitude. So a political positions don't really have as strong effect on the decisions as it would for older generations in their youth. In general, Gen Z has a pretty negative view on things like feminism and LGBT rights compared to millennials (Not that they're against it, but there's more pushback and disillusionment about them in comparison).

Old 10-16-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah i dont think CT is overpriced. You can get a very nice home in a really nice suburb for less than 500k.

I have so many friends and my parents’ friends who live in Glastonbury. They are 1 hour and change to Boston and are there almost every weekend. The homes are very modestly priced for the immense quality of the towns.

Connecticut does the suburbs the best CT Suburbs>MA suburbs. Without a single doubt.

But my issue in CT lies with the cities of Hartford, New London, New Haven and Waterbury. If CT fixed up on reasons we stated above… it would be an absolute monster of a state
I agree with you that Connecticut’s greatest strength is it’s suburbs. They are wonderful places to live. They have great schools and a wonderful quality of life. They are perfect for raising a family.

I also agree that Connecticut cities have issues but then again what city doesn’t? I will point out to you that the state has been investing a lot in its cities over the past 20 years and it has been paying off in spades.

Hartford has seen huge improvements in the past decade or more with a couple thousand new apartments built downtown and more importantly, being rented almost as fast as they are being built. Because Hartford has one of the country’s tightest rental markets, hundreds of more are being planned. Hartford has the highly successful Yardgoats minor league baseball team that has many sellout home games. Dunkin Stadium has been voted the best minor league stadium in the country every year since it was opened. The city has seen the addition of the Connecticut Convention Center, the Connecticut Science Center, the Front Street entertainment district with the Infinity Music Hall, and UConn’s Hartford campus. Another wonderful addition is the great Parkville Market. It’s drawing patrons from all over the state. All these are great additions to a small city that already had a lot to offer (The Bushnell, Theaterworks, Hartford Stage, Wadsworth Anthenium, City Steam, the XL Center, Xfinity Music Theater, etc.). It’s not nearly as bad as some say.

New Haven is even better. It also has one of the tightest rental markets in the country and thousands of apartments have been built or are planned there. The city is becoming a major bio medical research hub with thousands of new jobs added in the field. There have been two new large medical research centers built in Downtown Crossing and in the wonderful Science Park research park. The Medical District has really taken off with many new medical buildings including a massive new $800 million Yale New Haven Neurosciences Center. New Haven has the states largest and best dining and bar scene with a great nightlife. I’m not sure what more anyone would want.

Then I noticed you conveniently left off Stamford. It is Connecticut’s fastest growing city and one of the most successful cities in the country. Stamford is home to many of the country’s major companies with one of the highest concentrations of Forbes 400 headquarters in the country. In the last year or so, four major companies have announced their relocation to Stamford. Charter Communication just completed its massive new corporate headquarters downtown and nearby the cities massive Harbor Point development has added over 2,750 new apartments and thousands of new residents. When completed there will be a total of 4,000 units with retail, restaurant and office space. It’s truly impressive. So much for Connecticut cities being so bad. Jay

Old 10-16-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Mostly it’s actually adjacent to New York City rather than starting 30 miles out from Manhattan
Have you tried to commute from New Jersey into Manhattan? Obviously not. I lived in northern NJ and have good friends still there. Though literally just across the Hudson River, it is truly a nightmare because of very very old and very undersized river crossings. The majority of train commuters from NJ must switch trains to cross under the river. This adds an enormous amount of frustration and time to a commute. It’s like a herd of cattle moving from one train to another. And the few trains that do go direct are unbelievably crowded and uncomfortable.

I know people that have left New Jersey for Westchester and Connecticut because the commute was so bad. They would rather have an hour of one seat commute from a far northern suburbs than deal with the NJ commute. At least they can work, read or even nap without being interrupted mid commute. It’s much more relaxing. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City