Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 09:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
You’ve missed the entire point of the debate. No one here talking about how identifiable a skyline is or how impressive/iconic a tower is (which is subjective and who no one here is contesting).

It’s not brought up in skyline threads because CD is obsessed with maximum height (the whole premise of this thread). SD, Baltimore, St. Louis, Vancouver BC, Portland get dragged for it. Take Honolulu for example. It has no buildings over +150m, but has 95 buildings over +100m. Your not convincing anyone that Pittsburgh, Denver or Charlotte have a bigger skyline than it despite its lack of relative height.

We are talking about quantitative size, not aesthetics.
No you are the one missing the point of the debate. The original thread is focused on cities with skyscrapers OVER 600ft, so HEIGHT is completely relevant to the original point. You are the one now changing the debate to be about "bigger skyline."

YOU may be talking about quantitative size. I am focusing on adding height into the overall evaluation, which was the focus of the OP (hence focusing on cities with buildings 600ft+).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 09:50 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I don't think that's right. I was looking at a compiled list from the Council on tall buildings. It says that there are now 100 buildings in the US over 790ft. NYC and Chicago's skyscraper dominance has actually been growing since the turn of the century. Houston does have a ton of tall buildings though, America's ultimate boom town.
Can you post the link?
There's so many contradictory links out there and as you said many are out of date.
There's also all these buildings with vanity height (unusable space)

I looked up the council in tall buildings and it states that 60% of the world's tallest would not be supertalls if measured to roof height. The Burg Khalifa for example has 244M of unusable space. That alone is almost a supertall.

https://interestingengineering.com/i...-vanity-height

Houston buildings don't have spires, antenna, none of that unusable space.

Quote:
Houston only has 3 building above 800’. The TC Energy Center misses the mark by 20’

Only Houston and LA, outside NY and Chicago has that many skyscrapers above 800 ft to roof height.

One Liberty Place in Philly is only 784ft without the spire.
BNY Mellon is 792 without the Spire.

Houston is the only City outside of NY and Chicago with 3 buildings taller than 900ft to the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I am curious though, a question for people familiar with Texas, why is there so much skyscraper growth in Austin vs. other places in Texas at the moment? Just the types of industries that are really growing?
Houston is also building tall buildings. It has completed 11 buildings over 450ft in the last 5 years. Austin has completed 5. Difference is Austin keeps breaking their tallest record. They recently started adding height. Houston completed Texas Tower last year at 735 ft tall it would be the tallest building in Austin at the time of topping out but barely reaching the top 10 in Houston. It's exciting times for Austin, they are building what will be the tallest in Texas, but most of those buildings would be infill for Houston.

DFW is going more for the coperate campus model. They have not completed a building taller than 450 ft in the last 5 years. The last one was 2013 and the one before that was the 80s

Last edited by atadytic19; 10-18-2022 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-18-2022, 09:52 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Outside of Austin & NYC I can’t think of any city that has built a new tallest in the last 2-3 decades (by roof height)

Old 10-18-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No you are the one missing the point of the debate. The original thread is focused on cities with skyscrapers OVER 600ft, so HEIGHT is completely relevant to the original point. You are the one now changing the debate to be about "bigger skyline."

YOU may be talking about quantitative size. I am focusing on adding height into the overall evaluation, which was the focus of the OP (hence focusing on cities with buildings 600ft+).
Wrong. I never contested that height wasn’t a factor.

I specifically said Denver, Charlotte & Pittsburgh didn’t have as many tall buildings as people thought because of their relative “low” numbers compared to other big cities and despite their height advantage they are still in the same general skyline size category as SD & Baltimore….. and you got up in arms about it.

That’s not a dig at those cities

Last edited by Joakim3; 10-18-2022 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-18-2022, 10:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Outside of Austin & NYC I can’t think of any city that has built a new tallest in the last 2-3 decades (by roof height)
Miami’s tallest was built in 2017, with more on the way.
Nashville's tallest is under construction.
OKCs tallest was built in 2012
Philadelphia was 2018, So was San Francisco's

Also add, Charlotte, Atlanta, Boise, Honolulu, Raleigh, Winston Salem, Omaha, Louisville, Biloxi, Tampa, Las Vegas,Jersey City, Salt Lake City, Virginia Beach... all built withing that time frame

Holy Crap Batman, Cincinnatis tallest has held that record since 1931!!!! And the tallest in Maine has held the record since 1870!!!!!

Last edited by atadytic19; 10-18-2022 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-18-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Miami’s tallest was built in 2017, with more on the way.
Nashville's tallest is under construction.
OKCs tallest was built in 2012
Philadelphia was 2018, So was San Francisco's

Also add, Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston Salem, Tampa...

Holy Crap Batman, Cincinnatis tallest has held that record since 1931!!!!
I knew I was missing some. No coffee this morning lol

Old 10-18-2022, 10:40 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Can you post the link?
There's so many contradictory links out there and as you said many are out of date.

I looked up the council in tall buildings and it states that 60% of the world's tallest would not be supertalls if measured to roof height. The Burg Khalifa for example has 244M of unusable space. That alone is almost a supertall.

https://interestingengineering.com/i...-vanity-height

Houston buildings don't have spires, antenna, none of that unusable space.

Only Houston and LA, outside NY and Chicago has that many skyscrapers above 800 ft to roof height.

Houston is the only City outside of NY and Chicago with 3 buildings taller than 900ft to the roof.

Houston is also building tall buildings. It has completed 11 buildings over 450ft in the last 5 years. Austin has completed 5. Difference is Austin keeps breaking their tallest record. They recently started adding height. Houston completed Texas Tower last year at 735 ft tall it would be the tallest building in Austin at the time of topping out but barely reaching the top 10 in Houston. It's exciting times for Austin, they are building what will be the tallest in Texas, but most of those buildings would be infill for Houston.

DFW is going more for the coperate campus model. They have not completed a building taller than 450 ft in the last 5 years. The last one was 2013 and the one before that was the 80s
Not true. The AMLI Fountain Place is 562 Ft (2020) and The Victor is 453 ft (2021).

Old 10-18-2022, 11:08 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Wrong. I never contested that height wasn’t a factor.

I specifically said Denver, Charlotte & Pittsburgh didn’t have as many tall buildings as people thought because of their relative “low” numbers compared to other big cities and despite their height advantage they are still in the same general skyline size category as SD & Baltimore….. and you got up in arms about it.

That’s not a dig at those cities
No, you are arguing in circles like you usually do. Now you’re saying you never contested that height wasn’t a factor, after your last post when you went on a rant about “we are talking about quantitative size.”

Baltimore is not in the same skyline category as Denver, Pittsburgh, or Charlotte. Nobody is counting number of buildings and using that as a barometer of “skyline tier.” Tier of skyline is a combination of all things, including height of signature buildings. This bumps up those cities compared to Baltimore. This is what I was trying to explain, and you got up in arms about.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:27 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Can you post the link?

I'm confused, how is the roofline of 1 Liberty 784ft (without spire), but the roofline 2 Liberty is 848ft with no spire (well a tiny one). Unless you are going by the top floor, but not actual roof height?

And isn't the Williams Tower in Houston technically under 900' then, since the box on top is a mechanical house? (By your metric of roofline/occupiable floor, unless I interpreted this wrong).

I usually just count spires since it's easier, and in many cases they are structurally a part of the building.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
No, you are arguing in circles like you usually do. Now you’re saying you never contested that height wasn’t a factor, after your last post when you went on a rant about “we are talking about quantitative size.”
Negative ghost rider.

I have repeatedly emphasized taking into account building height and numerical building amount as thats the only way skylines can be objectively ranked/compared. You can’t use one without the other.

Quote:
Baltimore is not in the same skyline category as Denver, Pittsburgh, or Charlotte. Nobody is counting number of buildings and using that as a barometer of “skyline tier.” Tier of skyline is a combination of all things, including height of signature buildings. This bumps up those cities compared to Baltimore. This is what I was trying to explain, and you got up in arms about.
Thanks for sharing your opinion and trying to impose your personal thoughts as fact on a statement that was never controversial.

No one counts buildings? Read the first page of this thread again.. and the 100 others like it.

Yes and the architecture and height of Pittsburgh signatures buildings isn’t enough to put it in a different tier than Baltimore or San Diego.

I’m getting off this hamster wheel and we are just going to agree to disagree

Last edited by Joakim3; 10-18-2022 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City