Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 12:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I knew I was missing some. No coffee this morning lol
I am on my 3rd cup. I have had all zoom meetings this morning and I'm so bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Not true. The AMLI Fountain Place is 562 Ft (2020) and The Victor is 453 ft (2021).
Thanks for the correction hun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I'm confused, how is the roofline of 1 Liberty 784ft (without spire), but the roofline 2 Liberty is 848ft with no spire (well a tiny one). Unless you are going by the top floor, but not actual roof height?

And isn't the Williams Tower in Houston technically under 900' then, since the box on top is a mechanical house? (By your metric of roofline/occupiable floor, unless I interpreted this wrong).

I usually just count spires since it's easier, and in many cases they are structurally a part of the building.
I tend to agree. I also think spires add to the charm of the skyline but some go over board. Don't you think an 800 ft spire is excessive?

As for Williams Tower it is still usable space to the tippy top. It's a 64 floor building but the elevator goes to a 65th for the mechanics. For 1 Liberty Place after floor 57 you get mechanical floors. I would add those as usable space. 1 and 2 Liberty Place actually have a similar number of floors with 2 Liberty Place having less of the architectural setbacks. Adding back the mechanical buildings but not the antenna 1 Liberty is just under 900ft.

Most US cities don't get past 70 floors. They make up the rest with spires. NY, Chicago. Houston, and LA are the only 4 that make it to 70 floors for their supertalls. Miami and Seattle have buildings with more than 70 floors but they are not supertall.

But even NY cheats. If you count the spire, the BOA in NY is the 8th tallest in the city with only 55 floors (7 of which are mechanical). Going by just the top floor the building gets knocked from 1200 ft to 769ft (mechanical floors take the roof to 945ft).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 12:56 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Houston is also building tall buildings. It has completed 11 buildings over 450ft in the last 5 years. Austin has completed 5. Difference is Austin keeps breaking their tallest record. They recently started adding height. Houston completed Texas Tower last year at 735 ft tall it would be the tallest building in Austin at the time of topping out but barely reaching the top 10 in Houston. It's exciting times for Austin, they are building what will be the tallest in Texas, but most of those buildings would be infill for Houston.

DFW is going more for the coperate campus model. They have not completed a building taller than 450 ft in the last 5 years. The last one was 2013 and the one before that was the 80s
This may be accurate if you are being literal about "completed" (there is a wave of buildings that are in the skyline but still being finished out inside), but by my account Austin has 9 buildings that have risen > 450' in the last five years: 6xG, Independent, Fairmount, Google, Indeed, Hannover republic square, Hannover Brazos, 5th and West, 44 East. Also 300 Colorado falls 4 feet short at 446', or it would be 10.

Then there are 8 or 9 more under construction now that haven't gotten to 450' yet.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:57 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Negative ghost rider.

I have repeatedly emphasized taking into account building height and numerical building amount as thats the only way skylines can be objectively ranked/compared. You can’t use one without the other.

Thanks for sharing your opinion and trying to impose your personal thoughts as fact on a statement that was never controversial.

No one counts buildings? Read the first page of this thread again.. and the 100 others like it.

Yes and the architecture and height of Pittsburgh signatures buildings isn’t enough to put it in a different tier than Baltimore or San Diego.

I’m getting off this hamster wheel and we are just going to agree to disagree
WRONG. You are looking straight-up silly now.

If you are going to try and make an argument, at least make sense. When people judge skylines, who is literally counting the number of buildings??? Who would even know that information without looking up sources. If you put a poll on here to compare Baltimore's and Pittsburgh's skyline, Pitt wins in a landslide. How many of those people are going to think Baltimore has X # of buildings and Pittsburgh has Y # of buildings, since Baltimore has more (despite it having an uglier, shorter, and non-distinct skyline), I'm going to give it my vote??? You are clueless if you think that's the case, which may be why so many of your comments make no sense.

It is the "whole package." Is number of buildings a consideration? Yes. But are people literally counting the number of buildings a city has? NO. That would be plain silly.

That is the whole reason that I brought up the importance of height and signature buildings. That is a key component of how skylines are evaluated. You then decided to go off on a tangent (circular argument) about how it is quantity, not height. Then you claimed that you never said height wasn't a factor.

I'm done going back and forth with you. It's pointless at this point.

Old 10-18-2022, 02:12 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I'm confused, how is the roofline of 1 Liberty 784ft (without spire), but the roofline 2 Liberty is 848ft with no spire (well a tiny one). Unless you are going by the top floor, but not actual roof height?

It makes no sense because it's not true lol. One Liberty's observation deck on the 57th floor is 883ft high. It's spire actually reaches 1,090ft: https://onelibertyplace.com/overview.php but the "official" measurement of the building is 945ft.

Also the Comcast Center has a higher top floor than the Four Seasons in the Technology Center. So no, to suggest Philly doesn't have a building "truly taller" than 800ft is pretty silly and not based in reality. Philly or LA has the 3rd/4th tallest group of buildings in the US.

Old 10-18-2022, 02:38 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
It makes no sense because it's not true lol. One Liberty's observation deck on the 57th floor is 883ft high. It's spire actually reaches 1,090ft: https://onelibertyplace.com/overview.php but the "official" measurement of the building is 945ft.

Also the Comcast Center has a higher top floor than the Four Seasons in the Technology Center. So no, to suggest Philly doesn't have a building "truly taller" than 800ft is pretty silly and not based in reality. Philly or LA has the 3rd/4th tallest group of buildings in the US.
Both Houston and LA are Taller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
This may be accurate if you are being literal about "completed" (there is a wave of buildings that are in the skyline but still being finished out inside), but by my account Austin has 9 buildings that have risen > 450' in the last five years: 6xG, Independent, Fairmount, Google, Indeed, Hannover republic square, Hannover Brazos, 5th and West, 44 East. Also 300 Colorado falls 4 feet short at 446', or it would be 10.

Then there are 8 or 9 more under construction now that haven't gotten to 450' yet.
Ok, well adding in the still being finished for Houston you get a ton of other buildings too so fact of the matter is Austin is not the only one in Texas building a lot.

TMC convention center Hotel
2120 Post Oak
3615 Montrose
The Allen
Methodist Centennial
1661 Tanglewood
Texas A&M Med Center
Block 98
Brava
The RO
M Square

I mean... whether you look at completed, almost completed, going up, just starting out or in the works the fact of the matter is Austin isn't the only one in Texas throwing them up. And keep in mind, Houston’s economy has been in a slump these past 5 years.

The question the poster should have asked is why Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio not kept up with Austin. Saying the rest of Texas isn't accurate.

Now if the question is why are the others in Texas don't have new supertalls in the works, that would be an accurate question as Austin is the only one building new Supertalls in Texas.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:01 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

US cities with the most skyscrapers to the least skyscrapers, with a height exceeding 600 feet:

New York City
125+
10+ u/c
For NYC, just counting the ones that are currently U/C:

1. 270 Park Ave | 1,388 FT
2. Brooklyn Tower (9 DeKalb Ave) |1,073 FT
3. 740 Eighth Ave (Extell) | 1,067 FT
4. The Spiral (509 W. 34th) | 1,041 FT
5. 50 Hudson Yards (504 W. 34th) | 1,011 FT
6. 520 5th Ave | 1,000 FT
7. 2 Manhattan West | 950 FT
8. 262 Fifth Ave | 860 FT
9. 50 West 66 Street | 775 FT
10. 309 11th Ave | 701 FT
11. 450 11th Ave | 642 FT
12. 589 Fulton Street (The Brook) | 601 FT

^ A bunch of these are finishing construction, but there is a bunch of new buildings soon to break ground as well. With the new batch of big bulky supertalls too. There are over 30 towers 600+ FT proposed.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:09 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Both Houston and LA are Taller.

Houston factually is not, but you can continue to believe that if you want.

Personally, when talking about "big city buildings", my cut is closer to 250-300ft and I much prefer skylines with some depth and variety surrounding the trophy towers. Also not really a fan of parking garage towers. A lot of buildings in the sunbelt sit on a bunch of floors of above ground parking.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:26 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
WRONG. You are looking straight-up silly now.

If you are going to try and make an argument, at least make sense. When people judge skylines, who is literally counting the number of buildings??? Who would even know that information without looking up sources.
Obviously most people on this forum. Because that's exactly what we are doing on this thread

I wouldn't expect normal people to view things under a microscope the way we do on C-D.

Quote:
If you put a poll on here to compare Baltimore's and Pittsburgh's skyline, Pitt wins in a landslide. How many of those people are going to think Baltimore has X # of buildings and Pittsburgh has Y # of buildings, since Baltimore has more (despite it having an uglier, shorter, and non-distinct skyline), I'm going to give it my vote??? You are clueless if you think that's the case, which may be why so many of your comments make no sense.
Read. This. Slow. Being visually better can and is usually mutually exclusive from outright size/scope. SF, Seattle, Boston & Philly are the same general size despite looking drastically different in shape. Same concept for SD, Baltimore, Denver, Charlotte & Pittsburgh. If you can't understand that comparison than it's your loss, not mine.

So for the last time. No one said Baltimore's skyline is better than Pittsburgh.. that's your tirade.

Quote:
I'm done going back and forth with you. It's pointless at this point.
Glad we can agree on something

Last edited by Joakim3; 10-18-2022 at 03:47 PM..

Old 10-18-2022, 03:34 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Obviously most people on this thread/forum. Because that's exactly what we are doing on this thread

I wouldn't expect normal people to view things under a microscope the way we do on this forum.

Read. This. Slow. Being visually better can and is usually mutually exclusive from outright size. SF, Boston & Philly are the same general size despite looking drastically different. Same concept for SD, Baltimore, Denver, Charlotte & Pittsburgh. If you can't understand that comparison than it's your loss, not mine.

So for the last time. No one said Baltimore's skyline is better than Pittsburgh.. that's your tirade.

Glad we can agree on something
The only "tirade" I'm having is listening to you run around in circles.

I'm not reading anything you write slowly because it makes no sense.

I'm at a loss for what you are even trying to argue at this point.

Old 10-18-2022, 04:30 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
The only "tirade" I'm having is listening to you run around in circles.

I'm not reading anything you write slowly because it makes no sense.

I'm at a loss for what you are even trying to argue at this point.
I write slowly because I’m enjoying the beach, replying though a phone.

Good. Saves us both the energy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City