Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 01:12 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The one train station that I always wanted to visit (it is defunct): City Hall station in NYC. Ever since I saw Ninja Turtles 2 as a kid, I wished their lair was real (City Hall station served as inspiration).
I've not only ridden through City Hall subway station in New York, I stepped off of a train onto its platform. The original Interborough Rapid Transit stations were actually pretty elegant, but this one topped them all.

The plaques commemorating the opening of the subway in 1904 had been moved to the mezzanine of Brooklyn Bridge station after City Hall was closed, and that's where I ran across them on my first trip through that station in the late 1970s. They're back in City Hall station now, which means most New Yorkers won't see them, ever.

Quote:
I'm surprised so many people said Jefferson Station. If I had to pick one of the one's in Center City Philly, I'm leaning Suburban Station's Art Deco details. I got some pics to share.
The Art Deco architecture of Suburban Station is nice, but I think the reason Jefferson gets more love is because of its train platforms, which have the greatest interior volume and most natural light of any underground train station I've ever been in. Here's a photo of those platforms, taken from the waiting area above them:

Train emerging from the Center City Commuter Connection at Market East Station, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by John Phelan via Wikimedia Commons, licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

You should be able to see that Wissahickon forest mosaic I referred to at the left edge of the photo. There's a matching mosaic on the right, next to Track 1, but the stairs to the street and the waiting-area concourse obscure its view. The platforms at Suburban Station are unadorned and claustrophobic by comparison, even if the Commuter Tunnel project did brigthen them up a bit.

I look forward to using Franklin Square PATCO station when it reopens. PATCO gave the station a 1970s facelift when it briefly reopened for the Bicentennial. The station originally opened along with the Philadelphia-Camden Bridge Line subway in 1936, and it's been closed and reopened on three separate occasions after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 11:41 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times
What about modern stations? California stations should be getting an upgrade with HSR. The only one finished so far is the Anaheim (ARTIC) station.

What about Brightline stations? Any others at the top?

New Anaheim Amtrak Station Inside
ZhengZhou, CC BY-SA 3.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Old 10-21-2022, 02:05 PM

365 posts, read 229,599 times
King Street Station in Seattle is a beauty:

Old 10-21-2022, 02:30 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
I didn't realize the inside of King Street Station looked like that. Reminds me of Grand Central Station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
What about modern stations? California stations should be getting an upgrade with HSR. The only one finished so far is the Anaheim (ARTIC) station.

What about Brightline stations? Any others at the top?

New Anaheim Amtrak Station Inside
ZhengZhou, CC BY-SA 3.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0, via Wikimedia Commons
I used to go to Anaheim regularly but last time was before they redid it. I noticed it was different when I took the train to LA and made a stop there. The new station is on the opposite side of the tracks. I remember the old one that was by the Angels Stadium parking lot.

Old 10-22-2022, 11:15 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I didn't realize the inside of King Street Station looked like that. Reminds me of Grand Central Station.
The pics actually remind me a lot more like Baltimore Penn Station on the interior, and probably scale is more similar. Love those pics of King Street Station though very elegant inside.

Old 10-22-2022, 05:30 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The pics actually remind me a lot more like Baltimore Penn Station on the interior, and probably scale is more similar. Love those pics of King Street Station though very elegant inside.
Yeah definitely gives off historic Penn Station vibes. They are wrapping up on the historic head house restoration.

Amtrak begins construction on the new northern concours (currently a parking lot) next summer. It’s going to functionally replace the historic head house which is currently being turned into office/retail space

Last edited by Joakim3; 10-22-2022 at 05:43 PM..

Old 10-22-2022, 06:27 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Yeah definitely gives off historic Penn Station vibes. They are wrapping up on the historic head house restoration.

Amtrak begins construction on the new northern concours (currently a parking lot) next summer. It’s going to functionally replace the historic head house which is currently being turned into office/retail space
Yes the expansion looks good, I was wondering when things were supposed to get started on it, thanks for this.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:37 PM

17,146 posts, read 15,350,560 times
New Brightline Station in Orlando looks pretty nice. Saw it yesterday when I landed at the Orlando airport.

It doesn't compare to older historic ones, but for a new, modern station, it's quite nice. Looks impressively grand in person. The picture/model below does it no justice.

https://www.enjoyflorida.com/brightl...-opening-2022/

Windsor Station in Montreal is an impressive historic one. One of my favorites.

https://cadillacfairview.com/office/...tation-office/

Old 10-24-2022, 06:06 AM

506 posts, read 476,392 times

My favorite is Sanderson, Texas. It's a brand new station and its beauty is in its simplicity. This station isn't trying to show off like a Grand Central. Instead it displays a reserved confidence. It is purely functional. There's no waste in the design (so it's environmentally friendly). Take all the materials used to make the behemoth 30th Street Station. What a waste! Who in the world needs a 100 foot tall ceiling? Nobody's that tall. Sanderson, though, has a modest overhang to block out the Texas sun. Other than that, the rest of the station's ceiling is the sky itself. At Grand Central you can look up at night and see an artist's (scientifically inaccurate) rendering of the stars. At Sanderson you can look up and see the real thing.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:26 AM

17,146 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post

My favorite is Sanderson, Texas. It's a brand new station and its beauty is in its simplicity. This station isn't trying to show off like a Grand Central. Instead it displays a reserved confidence. It is purely functional. There's no waste in the design (so it's environmentally friendly). Take all the materials used to make the behemoth 30th Street Station. What a waste! Who in the world needs a 100 foot tall ceiling? Nobody's that tall. Sanderson, though, has a modest overhang to block out the Texas sun. Other than that, the rest of the station's ceiling is the sky itself. At Grand Central you can look up at night and see an artist's (scientifically inaccurate) rendering of the stars. At Sanderson you can look up and see the real thing.
Simplicity can work for certain things. Not for this. No offense, but this looks awful IMO. Where are the restrooms? Vending machines? Imagine having to sit there waiting for HOURS (Because... Amtrak oftentimes experiences delays.) No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City