Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 03:16 PM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times

Advertisements

I mean you’re going to struggle to find true edge cities outside the sunbelt just because the people where there before commuting was viable.

But Lowell, MA or McKeesport PA would not exist without the financing and industry based in Boston/Pittsburgh even if they didn’t start out as suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 03:21 PM

4,216 posts, read 3,302,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What companies are in Long Beach, CA? I could only find the local education and hospitals as employers.
Boeing, Frontier Communications, LACMTA, Spectrum Communications, Southern California Edison, port, healthcare, aquarium.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:29 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Boeing, Frontier Communications, LACMTA, Spectrum Communications, Southern California Edison, port, healthcare, aquarium.
Would you say Long Beach is a secondary city to LA? It has a population of 456,063 people.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:32 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,425,374 times
Bellevue and Seattle

Old 10-25-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Would you say Long Beach is a secondary city to LA? It has a population of 456,063 people.
Historically no, but that's also a no for more obscure cities like Wilmington, Pasadena, or Anaheim.

Today, yes. You go there and it feels like an L.A. suburb.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Historically no, but that's also a no for more obscure cities like Wilmington, Pasadena, or Anaheim.

Today, yes. You go there and it feels like an L.A. suburb.
Long Beach had a population of 142,032 in 1930. Would you say it was a suburb of LA at that point? That is pretty large for 1930 across America. It has a major port which has been in operation for more than a century established in 1911.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Long Beach had a population of 142,032 in 1930. Would you say it was a suburb of LA at that point? That is pretty large for 1930 across America. It has a major port which has been in operation for more than a century established in 1911.
Yes, because there is really no point in history where Long Beach's population exceeded much more than 1/10th that of Los Angeles. At one very brief point in history, there was an array of southern California cities that could have been seen as competing cities to Los Angeles. How Los Angeles ultimately consolidated so much influence and power is a story 100X as complex as the story of the big northeast cities.

I've heard about the port of Long Beach. If we're going to disqualify them from being an L.A. suburb for that reason, then places like Culver City, Pasadena, and Beverly Hills would have to go also I suppose.

Not my fault that the average L.A. suburb has more influence than the average major city in other parts of the country.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:39 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
So, I think people making the LA selections need to read this below:

California has so many secondary cities surrounding LA that would exist without LA the selection for LA may be difficult. Maybe think much smaller without a pull?
For LA, I'd say it could be Irvine, Santa Clarita, Thousand Oaks, or Corona. All clear suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is actually something I wanted to inquire about. How's the reverse commuting in the SF Bay Area? The SF to SJ traffic is it more or less, or equal than the opposite direction? Also how about compared to East Bay?

The reverse commute in the DC area had really began to pick up pre-pandemic prior to telework, with people living in DC commuting to the NOVA tech corridor, and Arlington. But predominantly in this area traffic moves from outside the Beltway, inside for their morning commute, and reverse in the evenings. It would be interesting to compare differences.
The Inner Bay Area traffic was pretty heavy volume in all directions pre-pandy. But most of the traffic is really people living in the East Bay making it over to somewhere along the Peninsula, whether that be SF or the Silicon Valley and all points in between. If you work in the east bay then you typically lived there since housing was cheaper, so not as much traffic "reverse" commuting that way.

Quote:
I wouldn't say it was a suburb. If you look at the history of Long Beach it really started out as its own independent city and people who lived there worked nearby at the ports or one of the military installations. Long Beach is like Pasadena, Santa Monica, or Pomona. These LA County cities were never suburbs in the likes of places such as Torrance, Compton, South Gate, Lakewood, or Glendora.

If anything, Long Beach kind of spawned its own suburbs like Cerritos and Hawaiian Gardens, and also has a clear gravity influence for that part of LA County and northern Orange County.

Last edited by DabOnEm; 10-25-2022 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-25-2022, 04:40 PM

765 posts, read 899,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Tacoma might fit the bill here. It's part of the Seattle MSA, about 34mi from downtown to downtown. Commuter rail does run between the two. Decent food scene, some really nice walkable areas, sizeable outpost of UW/WSU etc. Expanding light rail within the core.
Based on the criterea no. Tacoma would exist without Seattle (They were incorperated as cities around the same time and competed with eachother to be the big player of the region) It would fall in the same category of Long Beach, Oakland, St. Paul, Ft Lauderdale, Ft Worth etc.

Bellevue is a good contender but not that far from Seattle.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, because there is really no point in history where Long Beach's population exceeded much more than 1/10th that of Los Angeles. At one very brief point in history, there was an array of southern California cities that could have been seen as competing cities to Los Angeles. How Los Angeles ultimately consolidated so much influence and power is a story 100X as complex as the story of the big northeast cities.

I've heard about the port of Long Beach. If we're going to disqualify them from being an L.A. suburb for that reason, then places like Culver City, Pasadena, and Beverly Hills would have to go also I suppose.

Not my fault that the average L.A. suburb has more influence than the average major city in other parts of the country.
I don't think that is the case. I think most people aren't including secondary cities. Most cities have secondary cities far more important than any city in LA like Arlington, VA, Newark, NJ, St. Paul, MN, Oakland, CA etc.

I think Irvine, CA would be a better selection. It had a population of 10,081 in 1970 and now has a population of 307,670 people. It is also the last large city headed out of the LA metro area.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-25-2022 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City