Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 09:00 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times

Advertisements

Zumper’s numbers always seem a little off to me. I looked at their methodology and this is what they say:

Quote:
For our monthly rent reports, we aggregate data from over one million active listings to calculate median asking rents for the top 100 cities by population and nearly 300 additional cities within major metro areas. This data includes more listings than most other rental websites and is sourced through a combination of proprietary listings posted by landlords and brokers through Zumper’s Landlord Platform and 3rd party listings received from MLS providers. Our team verifies listings posted directly to Zumper so we are able to provide an extremely accurate set of inventory and ensure the best apartment search experience for users.
My educated guess is that their data is somewhat skewed towards the higher end of the market across the board, and some cities have a bigger low end and a smaller high end, while other cities have the opposite. So I’m not sure it’s capturing the full picture of the rental market if it’s not getting these lower end rentals. Like, I’m not sure how many low end apartments in sketchy/questionable/transitional neighborhoods are showing up on the MLS or Zumper’s Landlord Apartments and that could potentially bring the numbers down for X city, while in another city it might not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 10:24 PM

817 posts, read 626,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
This list includes Class A, brand new luxury apts. Of course the numbers will be higher, and why Chicago is more expensive than Honolulu. Minneapolis not in the 60 though...
That actually makes sense, luxury apartments inflating the numbers. SLC for example has tons of luxury apartments that were built in the last year, so that could be making the rent for that city higher than what it actually is.

Old 10-27-2022, 12:53 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Zumper’s numbers always seem a little off to me. I looked at their methodology and this is what they say:

My educated guess is that their data is somewhat skewed towards the higher end of the market across the board, and some cities have a bigger low end and a smaller high end, while other cities have the opposite. So I’m not sure it’s capturing the full picture of the rental market if it’s not getting these lower end rentals. Like, I’m not sure how many low end apartments in sketchy/questionable/transitional neighborhoods are showing up on the MLS or Zumper’s Landlord Apartments and that could potentially bring the numbers down for X city, while in another city it might not.
This could be said for any organization that is collecting/providing data especially when it comes to any kind of information regarding real estate.

Old 10-27-2022, 03:44 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:

I can't even tell how they determine the "Top 100 cities". They include cities like Providence, Syracuse and Akron, but do not include Grand Rapids? None of those are top 100 cities unless they are talking metro area, and then only providence would count.

Old 10-27-2022, 01:14 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
I mentioned in another thread about how Boston is now way more expensive than San Francisco but nobody believed me.

Shocked to see Philadelphia rents in absolute free fall, it officially earns the title now of "cheapest big city in America". Something to be proud of for sure.

Phoenix I must say is the misleading one here that sticks out, it appears cheaper than it actually is. There's no way you're getting a 1 bedroom in Phoenix nowadays for anywhere near $1,380 a month, more like $1,500+

Miami being more expensive than San Diego now is absolute insanity, I can see Miami being cheaper long term but the fact that it has even surpassed San Diego is shocking.
The Phoenix rent seems very accurate, there are alot of older 1950s, 1960s, 1970s apartments in the city of Phoenix proper and those tend to rent for quite a bit less than in many of the suburbs.

There are quite a few neighborhoods along I-17 from downtown to Bell and much of the Westside of the city where there $1200 a month apartments. Which is much, much more than it was 5 years ago but those less expensive areas cover a large part of the city of Phoenix. There are also apartments with rents around $1200 from Downtown to 48th Street between McDowell and Van Buren.

Phoenix $1375 up from $650 in 2014
Gilbert $1609
Chandler $1579
Tempe $1500 up from $750 in 2016
Peoria $1537

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/phoenix-az

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/gilbert-az

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/tempe-az

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/chandler-az

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/peoria-az

San Diego might be less expensive than Miami, but San Diego according to Zumper has gone $1450 in 2016 to $2500 in 2022 which is a $1050 increase

Carlsbad, California has gone from $1483 average for 1 bedroom to $2,595 in 2022

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/carlsbad-ca

Escondido, California (suburb of San Diego) has gone an average 1 bedroom at $1,075 in 2016 to $2,099 in 2022

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/escondido-ca

Old 10-27-2022, 01:17 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,014 times
Quote:

I think Zumper is very accurate, they pretty much have every neighborhood in Phoenix reflected in their data.

I don't think so, because I went on Zumper and they include many, many rentals in Phoenix more affordable neighborhoods.

Apartment rents have just surged that much.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:17 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
DC continues to slide down this list.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:26 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I feel like the median rent for a 1-bedroom in DC has been $2,300 since 2012. I remember seeing that price over 10-years ago. I actually posted it here on city-data.com talking about some topic way back then. DC builds so many new units annually it really helps to keep prices down. DC used to be tied or above Boston in rent 10-years ago.

The difference is DC produces substantially more units annually compared to Boston increasing the net housing supply which impact prices dramatically. I hope the city continues doing it.
I wonder what the percentage of new development is office vs residential. Because it seems it is swaying heavily to residential. The buzzard point development along with Navy yards around Nationals Park, the wharf, NY Ave area, U street, etc and there is still more to come.

Old 10-27-2022, 05:12 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I can't even tell how they determine the "Top 100 cities". They include cities like Providence, Syracuse and Akron, but do not include Grand Rapids? None of those are top 100 cities unless they are talking metro area, and then only providence would count.
It is for the top 100 metro areas/divisions, I believe, not city propers.

Old 10-27-2022, 05:31 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Totally agreed. The list doesn't make much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is for the top 100 metro areas/divisions, I believe, not city propers.
Then why are there five cities listed from the Phoenix MSA? Phoenix, Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, and Glendale. Or why is Plano TX listed separately from Dallas? Or Santa Ana and Anaheim listed separately?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City