Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 11:59 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,568,736 times

Advertisements

Zumper just came out with its latest report, listing the most expensive US cities to rent in:

1. NYC
2. Boston
3. SF
4. San Jose
5. Miami
6. San Diego
7. LA
8. D.C
9. Oakland
10. Santa Ana, CA

Most cities saw a month over month decline whereas a few bucked the trend or stayed flat.

Boston surpassed SF on this report; CA is home to 6 of the 10 most expensive rental markets.

https://www.zumper.com/blog/rental-price-data/

Last edited by elchevere; 10-26-2022 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 01:04 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,045,659 times
It’s super impressive how wrong those numbers are

Old 10-26-2022, 01:08 PM

10,084 posts, read 14,469,750 times
I was just going to say that, as I glanced at the NYC number and was like WHAT.

I did a street easy.com search just now for Manhattan alone-any neighborhood-and found 543 one bedroom apartments for rent right now, under $3000 per month.

There are many, many apartments for rent much less than the $3800-ish per month number given in the article above.

If someone is looking for a luxury/new construction/doorman building in the most desirable neighborhoods in the city, well, yeah, you'll pay stupid money for that.

But most people will be more frugal, flexible and efficient with their search.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:41 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,403,852 times
I feel like the CoL in DC is going to go down at some point, wasn't it listed in the top 5 cities (after SF) being hit the hardest due to the recent shift in WFH? Or maybe I'm just hoping somehow it'll magically go down.

Miami is still pretty high these days. Interesting.

Manhattan is still expensive but Williamsburg is still pretty affordable (NYC affordable).

Old 10-26-2022, 02:06 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,778,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I feel like the CoL in DC is going to go down at some point, wasn't it listed in the top 5 cities (after SF) being hit the hardest due to the recent shift in WFH? Or maybe I'm just hoping somehow it'll magically go down.

Miami is still pretty high these days. Interesting.

Manhattan is still expensive but Williamsburg is still pretty affordable (NYC affordable).
I feel like the median rent for a 1-bedroom in DC has been $2,300 since 2012. I remember seeing that price over 10-years ago. I actually posted it here on city-data.com talking about some topic way back then. DC builds so many new units annually it really helps to keep prices down. DC used to be tied or above Boston in rent 10-years ago.

The difference is DC produces substantially more units annually compared to Boston increasing the net housing supply which impact prices dramatically. I hope the city continues doing it.

Old 10-26-2022, 02:33 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,403,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I feel like the median rent for a 1-bedroom in DC has been $2,300 since 2012. I remember seeing that price over 10-years ago. I actually posted it here on city-data.com talking about some topic way back then. DC builds so many new units annually it really helps to keep prices down. DC used to be tied or above Boston in rent 10-years ago.

The difference is DC produces substantially more units annually compared to Boston increasing the net housing supply which impact prices dramatically. I hope the city continues doing it.
True. I remember the days when it was like $2,150-$2,250 but I don't know if it'll ever go back down to that. $2,300 still isn't bad especially compared to NYC, SF and Boston.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:16 PM

817 posts, read 630,286 times
I mentioned in another thread about how Boston is now way more expensive than San Francisco but nobody believed me.

Shocked to see Philadelphia rents in absolute free fall, it officially earns the title now of "cheapest big city in America". Something to be proud of for sure.

Phoenix I must say is the misleading one here that sticks out, it appears cheaper than it actually is. There's no way you're getting a 1 bedroom in Phoenix nowadays for anywhere near $1,380 a month, more like $1,500+

Miami being more expensive than San Diego now is absolute insanity, I can see Miami being cheaper long term but the fact that it has even surpassed San Diego is shocking.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,018,991 times
Chicago is more expensive than Honolulu (and also Portland and Sacramento), huh.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:26 PM

817 posts, read 630,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Chicago is more expensive than Honolulu (and also Portland and Sacramento), huh.
In the past 8 months for some reason Chicago rents have skyrocketed, I assume a lot of WFH covid migrants couldn't last out in the suburbs or rural areas and moved back to the city in droves causing a huge rental crisis.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:56 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,568,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
I mentioned in another thread about how Boston is now way more expensive than San Francisco but nobody believed me.

Shocked to see Philadelphia rents in absolute free fall, it officially earns the title now of "cheapest big city in America". Something to be proud of for sure.

Phoenix I must say is the misleading one here that sticks out, it appears cheaper than it actually is. There's no way you're getting a 1 bedroom in Phoenix nowadays for anywhere near $1,380 a month, more like $1,500+

Miami being more expensive than San Diego now is absolute insanity, I can see Miami being cheaper long term but the fact that it has even surpassed San Diego is shocking.
This recent WAPO article helps explain Miami: limited land availability, influx once again of South Americans as more countries turn leftist (fears of Chavez/Maduroism), and WFH. You can add in some finance HQ (Citadel, Siebert, etc) and law firm (Kirkland & Ellis, King & Spaulding, Winston & Strawn, etc) relocations and/or expansion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...rental-crisis/

Last edited by elchevere; 10-26-2022 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City