Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 01:49 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,224,972 times

Advertisements

Interesting to see Indy so high. That puts it at #1 in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 04:03 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,572,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
SF at 19th, market must be saturated now. Is this still where the graduates would flock to now?
Well, I don't really measure a city's tech scene by employees and office space but rather actual accomplishments like number of patents, number of billion-dollar companies, amount of venture capital, etc. And those are all areas where SF and Silicon Valley are in a league of their own, by a very large margin.

That said, I think it's long overdue that high tech expand it's presence away from the West Coast and Northeast and into areas that are not as well known in the industry.

We have a congressman in Silicon Valley named Ro Khanna that has been pushing for tech to fan out from here to other areas for years now, and I agree with him. Who knows the amazing breakthroughs that come out of places that you don't normally think of. And good for them.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:33 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, I don't really measure a city's tech scene by employees and office space but rather actual accomplishments like number of patents, number of billion-dollar companies, amount of venture capital, etc. And those are all areas where SF and Silicon Valley are in a league of their own, by a very large margin.

That said, I think it's long overdue that high tech expand it's presence away from the West Coast and Northeast and into areas that are not as well known in the industry.

We have a congressman in Silicon Valley named Ro Khanna that has been pushing for tech to fan out from here to other areas for years now, and I agree with him. Who knows the amazing breakthroughs that come out of places that you don't normally think of. And good for them.
Is it really though? People saying Texas is the new SV must be forgetting the pre 90s days of Compaq, Dell, TI, EDS, BMC software etc. Texas had a firmer grip on the computer industry then than it does today. I would definitely say that SV’s dominance is growing rather than shrinking.

This article is about where programmers work. Two completely different things imo. People must have forgot what technology actually is.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:57 PM

8,877 posts, read 6,885,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

In terms of economic impact, venture capital and patents speak to POTENTIAL. But it's payroll that really matters TODAY, along with company shares though those are more spread out.

As for the also rans, I don't think people realize the massive scale of San Francisco's tech. They'll never touch it. That includes my city where the top two HQs alone employ 120,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City