Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the most urban streetscape?
San Diego 10 11.63%
Seattle 76 88.37%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 02:28 PM

8,877 posts, read 6,893,618 times

Advertisements

The Pike Place Market (specifically Pike Place, the street) is a mess from a streetscape perspective. There's a general push to make it pedestrian-only except delivery trucks but that's moving slowly if at all. Post Alley tends to be a better "street."

But more to my point, the volume of people can be insane, including the four-block uninterrupted main hallway (kind of a "street" in its own way) that can take 15 minutes to walk through unless you act like a running back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 02:26 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Is there something like this for San Diego? https://www.seattleinprogress.com/

Old 02-14-2023, 02:46 PM

My god that's a bad website. They don't appear to grasp the difference between a land use permit and a building permit for starters!

This one is horrible too (missing a lot of projects etc.), but at least it's first had from the relevant department, SDCI. https://web8.seattle.gov/sdci/shapingseattle/buildings

Old 02-14-2023, 04:26 PM

12,855 posts, read 9,595,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The Pike Place Market (specifically Pike Place, the street) is a mess from a streetscape perspective. There's a general push to make it pedestrian-only except delivery trucks but that's moving slowly if at all. Post Alley tends to be a better "street."

But more to my point, the volume of people can be insane, including the four-block uninterrupted main hallway (kind of a "street" in its own way) that can take 15 minutes to walk through unless you act like a running back.
It's a great place but yes, sometimes it's way too crowded and I hate that they let vehicles drive into the circle and the streets.

Old 02-16-2023, 01:04 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,427,565 times
Pike Place in Seattle is great when you want to get out of the metaverse and be balls to butt in a crowd just to buy some flowers and a bag of plums. It’s like walking out of a playoff game every regular weekend.

It’s honestly impressive for such a small city to muster on a regular basis, even in winters. Place like Chicago only feel that way on special venues like Taste of Chicago etc.

Old 02-16-2023, 11:04 AM

I go pretty often to buy produce and occasionally other things. My typical produce stand is across Pike Place at the intersection with Post Alley. You can usually walk a little more normally in that area.

I love the crush of people, but I also walk like a running back, go in front of the fish-thrower crowd instead of behind it, etc.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:28 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,595,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Pike Place in Seattle is great when you want to get out of the metaverse and be balls to butt in a crowd just to buy some flowers and a bag of plums. It’s like walking out of a playoff game every regular weekend.

It’s honestly impressive for such a small city to muster on a regular basis, even in winters. Place like Chicago only feel that way on special venues like Taste of Chicago etc.
There's a great bar down the steps where you can sort of hide. It's very Seattle if that makes sense. I miss Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City