Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which pair of metros share more similarities than differences despite state competitiveness?
Dallas and Houston 65 94.20%
SF and LA 4 5.80%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 03:56 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Can anyone think of a pair of cities that is more similar?
Philadelphia/Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 03:59 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Philadelphia/Boston
Or Seattle/Portland

Old 11-17-2022, 04:18 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Dallas has a significant plains culture element to it that Houston does not. Houston has a deep south/gulf element that Dallas does not.

The SF/LA thing is influenced by SF being on a peninsula with an ocean and legitimate bay and LA originally being in a basin/beach plain. That in and of itself is going to drive different culture, weather and the like.

Last edited by eddie gein; 11-17-2022 at 05:48 PM..

Old 11-17-2022, 06:43 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Or Seattle/Portland
Or Columbus/Indianapolis

Old 11-17-2022, 06:46 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Or Seattle/Portland
Charlotte/Raleigh
Atlanta/Charlotte
Tampa/Orlando

Old 11-17-2022, 08:03 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
My answers in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
LA and SF are different but I wouldn’t say “very” because they’re more like each other than other places will be like them. The differences have increased over the last 20 years as the Bay has become noticeably more affluent and its urban areas often more gentrified.

Here is my list on how I would compare the differences based on criteria that are important to me.

Which is more similar for each criteria:

Weather - LA/SF are more similar. Houston is much muggier and warmer than Dallas. Disagree. SF is much cooler than LA, though both areas get hot inland. Yes, Houston is muggier than Dallas but they are both incredibly hot and have short winters.
Culture - LA/SF have similar cultures while Houston is Gulf/southern and Dallas is not. I don't think LA/SF are alike at all. SF is way more liberal and has a techy vibe. Both are superficial, but in different ways. Houston and Dallas have similar politics, both love football, BBQ and are more conservative than most major cities. Before someone points out how liberal they are, compared to most major cities, they run a bit redder.
Built environment/infrastructure- Dallas/Houston. Natural boundaries (bays, mountains) cause differences in how LA and SF were built. SF is compact, LA sprawls forever
Quality of life - Dallas/Houston
Politics - tie
Economy - Dallas/Houston seem more evenly matched.
Expense - Dallas/Houston
Diversity- LA/SF are similar while Houston is more diverse than Dallas.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:04 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Ok this is ridiculous lol there's no way this is true. LA and SD are very similar places.
He may be right. SD is more conservative, laid back, and is less diverse than LA.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:16 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Ok this is ridiculous lol there's no way this is true. LA and SD are very similar places.
To the casual observer it might appear that way.

If you are living in southern CA and only considering the region, they are radically different.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:13 AM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Charlotte/Raleigh
Atlanta/Charlotte
Tampa/Orlando
No, meh, and absolutely not. I’m currently in Florida and just left Orlando. Tampa is not similar to Orlando outside of the general Florida vibes and infrastructure. Completely different place

Old 11-18-2022, 06:24 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Oh but it is in my opinion. I'm a born and raised Texan. I've been living in Houston for over 10 years and I grew up an hour and 30 mins from DFW and have visited the metroplex more times than I can remember in my lifetime. Houston and Dallas have their differences but those differences are more subtle when paired against SF/LA or even LA/SD. Matter fact San Antonio and Austin are much more different from one another than Houston and DFW are.

I think the ultimate thing for me is the entirety of Houston and Dallas metropolitan areas. The endless sprawl in both are generally bland and filled with corporate buildings, strip malls, and franchise stores. Not really distinct from one another at all. Also the freeways that run thru these metros that look very identical from one another. Also both cities function similar to one another. There's not a completely different lifestyle in either city. Houston is more international and Dallas culture is more flashy "classy" TEXAN but not as TEXAN as Fort Worth yet still TEXAN with a hint of Oklahoma-ish. Houston is a hint of Louisiana-ish but still TEXAN just not as TEXAN as DFW. Both have a big Mexican population. Both are very diverse even if Houston's diversity feels more integrated on a social level. SF and LA on the other hand you really have to look deep to see the similarities.
Not sure about this one. LA/SD are pretty close and the same as Houston-Dallas IMO. Both LA/SD have similar weather, similar landscapes (the SD canyons are like south orange county), and similar housing styles. LA and SF I get but LA-SD is like big brother, little brother whereas the former are more like half siblings.

Curious to hear why you think LA-SD are more different than Houston-DFW.

I also dont think you have to look that deep to see the differences between LA and SF/Bay Area but they do have unique traits from each other. The most different part is the city itself since it is compact and pedestrian oriented. The landscapes also look different but much of that is due to the Bay Areas suburban greenbelts. The lingo is also different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City