Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which pair of metros share more similarities than differences despite state competitiveness?
Dallas and Houston 65 94.20%
SF and LA 4 5.80%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 08:47 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,040,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I love Miami. Was there a few days ago and I remembered why I prefer living in Texas. It is weird to have a list with clear European bias rank the Texas cities above Miami, but as a person I can see why.

When I’m in Texas, I miss Miami’s beaches, Caribbean community, traditional urban neighborhoods, coastal vibes etc. I don’t miss a place that has ran down hoods that somehow cost an arm and a leg to live in. A real estate moguls paradise. And yet it seems harder to find work there.
Corpus christi reminds me of Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 09:23 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,983,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
This statement proved my point. San Diego would be more similar to ORANGE COUNTY. LA and Orange County are completely different from one another.
Orange County is pretty big. North Orange County has more in common with LA County cities near it than they do South Orange County. And besides, I was only speaking of geography when comparing south OC to San Diego.

Quote:
For one the sheer size of both cities/metro is the biggest difference. Dallas and Houston are similar sized metros population wise. LA and SD are not. So one feels like a tighter knit community smaller Socal city while the other one you feel every bit of the hustle and bustle of a huge metropolis. LA is more fast paced while SD is more laid back.
I hear what youre saying but LA just has more people living inland. The coastal vibes for LA and SD are about the same with SD having slightly warmer waters. You can get that same close knit feel in many of the LA beach cities just like you can in similar SD areas.

Quote:
I know people say Houston compared to Dallas feels more "laid-back" but I honestly think that's more so when it comes to fashion. While I think generally there's a different approach in how Dallasites and Houstonites present themselves in social settings it's not a major difference. LA and SD it's more of a major difference.

Houston and Dallas politically are both blue cities but with a republican evangelical presence in close proximity to their urban cores. So I guess their moderately liberal but I don't notice a major difference between the 2. Both urban cores are still flooded with churches and conservative billboards along the highways. Both metros have suburbs and exurbs that lean to the right heavily.

LA and San Diego are still different from one another more drastically than Houston/Dallas. San Diego is more of a moderate city with a mix of liberal Southern Californian's and a heavy presence of the military which tends to lean right. It's not right like Southern White Evangelicals but when compared to LA or SF you definitely can tell the difference. The fact that the far right news outlet One America headquarters is located in San Diego should tell you everything you need to know about the 2 cities.

Dallas and Houston layout has some similarities. Loop 610 and Loop 12 are damn near identical in layout and how they function. The core and soul of both cities mainly sit within their loops. There's also freeways that cut through these loops so they have more of a similar setup when compared to LA and SD.

SD beaches are more incorporated into San Diego's identity. Beaches in LA are like a bonus but LA overall is not really a BEACH city. Most tourist probably won't pack up the swimming trunks and flip flops on their way to LAX. It's more of a hassle to get there from LA whereas SD you're never too far. That plays into the culture of the city.

San Diego is not a smaller version of LA. It's not a poor man's version of LA. Yes there's similar Socal vibes but both have their own distinct character traits that imo set's it more apart from one another than Houston and Dallas.
SD really feels like a younger version of LA. An LA of 20 years ago if you're looking at voting patterns, which isnt a bad thing at all because San Diego is way more balanced politically and it shows in some areas. SD gets the same Mediterranean weather that LA gets, with similar marine layers until the late afternoon in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City