Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has more of a classic urban, big-city feel?
Dallas 53 46.90%
Denver 60 53.10%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 04:57 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Does it though? I haven't been in a decade and it seems to have improved but so has everywhere else. Dallas is the 4th largest MSA, but smaller sunbelt MSAs like Miami, Atlanta, San Diego, and Houston have better cores. Has Austin's core passed Dallas'? Nashville?
Austin and Nashville's cores are not passing Dallas's anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 11:51 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
I chose Denver. Denver has more of the CLASSIC URBAN feel to it. Hell Denver was a much bigger city than Dallas up untill the 1920s and it shows in Denver's architecture compared to Dallas. Much more older buildings that you find in classic urban settings. Dallas has some but less than Denver.

Dallas most urban neighborhood is Uptown. Uptown is really modern day commercialized faux urbanism. Now with that said I can see Dallas having a bigger urban layout but Denver has higher highs of urbanism that you can't find in Dallas.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:57 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Has Austin's core passed Dallas'? Nashville?
No.

Old 11-27-2022, 12:00 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I chose Denver. Denver has more of the CLASSIC URBAN feel to it. Hell Denver was a much bigger city than Dallas up untill the 1920s and it shows in Denver's architecture compared to Dallas. Much more older buildings that you find in classic urban settings. Dallas has some but less than Denver.

Dallas most urban neighborhood is Uptown. Uptown is really modern day commercialized faux urbanism. Now with that said I can see Dallas having a bigger urban layout but Denver has higher highs of urbanism that you can't find in Dallas.
I'd argue that Dallas' most urban neighborhood outside of Downtown is Deep Ellum. Uptown has more residential density though.

Old 12-03-2022, 01:36 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
.....So "Urban" means having older buldings?!!!

Old 12-03-2022, 11:38 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
.....So "Urban" means having older buldings?!!!
The title states that the OP is looking for a classic, urban feel. Which means older buildings.

Old 12-03-2022, 11:54 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The title states that the OP is looking for a classic, urban feel. Which means older buildings.
No, it means no setbacks, narrower streets, and more mid rise density. Skyscrapers are a new thing, and so are wide roads. One of the most “classically urban” cities in the US is DC because it’s the closest city to emulating a European city. And NYC Brownstones. Some parts of LA and SF are good at this despite being the west coast and not populated until later.

Modern buildings can achieve this.

Old 12-03-2022, 11:55 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Does "urban feel" mean appearance? Manhattan of today has little in common appearance-wise with Manhattan of 100 years ago.

Old 12-03-2022, 11:56 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
I voted for Dallas. But Denver does have a few blocks and it’s downtown that are unmatched by anything in Dallas regardless of the buildings being new or old

Old 12-03-2022, 12:06 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
What about Knox? It is pretty old with newer development. Largely built before WW2 with the urban design still in place. Knox St and McKinney/Coles Aves will be further improved with complete streets redesign and converting one way streets back to two way.

I really wish I made a video of Knox-Henderson on the weekends in the daytime during the summer. It was packed! Not surprising since new development has really picked up in the last few years.

First one is short walking tour

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=48Q7Lk...ature=youtu.be

2nd is a more in-depth about the Knox-Henderson Area

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p5YqKw...ature=youtu.be

Lower Greenville is also an old school urban street built before WW2 (ends at 3:40). This area is a very popular nightlife district.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7f7vSa...ature=youtu.be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City