Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando vs New Orleans in 2022
Orlando 42 62.69%
New Orleans 25 37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 07:46 AM

817 posts, read 630,564 times

Advertisements

I'd choose Orlando in current times. However if I had like a time machine to go back to the past, I'd choose New Orleans, could you imagine experiencing that city during it's prime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 12:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,341,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Okay, Orlando wins this one.

Nola is fun... but not a place to live at all. Its extremely dangerous, prone to catastrophic hurricanes, limited job opportunities and has swampy weather and is not close to great beaches (the only natural environment pro of living in the south for me personally, if theres limited topography differences)
Extremely dangerous is a stretch. Catastrophic hurricanes is too, the last one was in 2005, and before I was born. Orlando also has swampy weather. The swamp is a natural environment that attracts lots of visitors. Bayou and alligator tours are big with tourists. Louisiana is also the game state for a reason, good hunting and fishing south ans north of the city.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:28 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,819,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Extremely dangerous is a stretch. Catastrophic hurricanes is too, the last one was in 2005, and before I was born. Orlando also has swampy weather. The swamp is a natural environment that attracts lots of visitors. Bayou and alligator tours are big with tourists. Louisiana is also the game state for a reason, good hunting and fishing south ans north of the city.
Also, let's not forget a ton of the damage was caused because of either failure or intentional damage to the levees.

Since then there has been improvements to the levees and also massive gates were built to battle storm surge into Lake Borgne. Today's New Orleans is still in a precarious location but some of the vulnerabilities have been addressed

Old 01-06-2023, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Also, let's not forget a ton of the damage was caused because of either failure or intentional damage to the levees.

Since then there has been improvements to the levees and also massive gates were built to battle storm surge into Lake Borgne. Today's New Orleans is still in a precarious location but some of the vulnerabilities have been addressed
Right. The city was fine after the storm passed, as far as wind and rain damage. They call it the Great Wall of Louisiana.

Also Florida is very famous for hurricanes.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:21 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,826,948 times
New Orleans is the 2nd most dangerous big city in USA and has been declining massively in the past few years. I wouldn't touch it with a 20 foot pole as a long-term home base. Beautiful city and fun place to visit though.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
New Orleans is the 2nd most dangerous big city in USA and has been declining massively in the past few years. I wouldn't touch it with a 20 foot pole as a long-term home base. Beautiful city and fun place to visit though.
Source?
It's more stagnant than declining. The urban core is still building and increasing density. Major projects like the WTC being renovated are still going on.

It has alot of problems but it's not declining.

Old 01-12-2023, 04:55 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,434,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
This. IMO, the current state of the city; ie. crime issues, dwindling economy, inefficient local government, etc. are driving the downfall of New Orleans, more so than geographical challenges like hurricanes which affect the entire region, not just New Orleans..

Not only is Orlando a better city in general, but it also crushes New Orleans in all of the categories listed above..

Old 01-12-2023, 05:01 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
It’s worth noting that NOLA was declining in population from the 60s all the way up to 2000s. The. Started gaining again from the 2010s

Old 01-12-2023, 11:12 PM

393 posts, read 262,933 times
Orlando wins in all categories except nightlife (NOLA has slight edge there).

Old 01-13-2023, 07:36 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,645,964 times
From the surface, New Orleans is one of the more overrated cities in the country. Great entertainment and tourism, I can get that in Orlando. Orlando is cleaning up New Orleans pretty handily in other metrics of relevance...

New Orleans has always been one of CD's favorite cities, people ready to fight if you have a criticism of it no matter how valid...

I also think Florida is overrated but there is a very rare scenario I'd choose New Orleans over any of the big Florida cities, besides Miami (I would take NO over Miami)...

Someone who has been to both, which city feels larger, does New Orleans feel comparably sized to Orlando? People will say New Orleans feels larger than it actually is (people have also said it feels small too though), give a descriptive on what weight class it feels like it belongs to...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City