Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 08:50 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,983,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
The Human Rights Campaign has released their annual Municipal Equality Index. How did your city fare? Where you surprised by the results?

https://www.hrc.org/resources/municipal-equality-index
My city St Louis scored 100 is not surprising. So many same sex couples live and thrive here.

Miami and Charlotte needs to step it up. Kind of surprised to see Miami being conservative.

Conservative legislation will hurt Memphis and especially Nashville eventually.
Not surprisedby the low scores. https://tennesseelookout.com/2021/04...y-legislation/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 09:45 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,687,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It is simple logic not an excuse. Suburbs are not as liberal as cores. Simple common sense. That's why we go by metros not city limits. It is also widwly known that in any metro the entire metro is never on one accord. So it's not as easy as they could get it passed if they wanted too. Not on that big a scale when far flung Republicans in kingwood or Clear Lake have the same say as the people around Downtown.
It’s not like these laws and ordinances are voted on by the public at large. It’s the city councils that are making cities better for the community. If Houston wanted to do better, it would. Regardless of the demographics, the reality is that Houston doesn’t have some of the protections of other cities making it not a great place for the LGBTQ community.

Old 12-10-2022, 10:46 PM

679 posts, read 497,656 times
My city (Greensboro) got a 100. Not surprised. Surprised that we were the only larger city in the state that got that a 100.

Old 12-12-2022, 12:48 PM

309 posts, read 308,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
....the reality is that Houston doesn’t have some of the protections of other cities making it not a great place for the LGBTQ community.
The Black lesbian mecca that's coming off a lesbian mayor isn't a great place for the LGBTQ+ community....?

Could Houston do better legislatively...? Perhaps, but let's not overreact to what we see on paper cuz it doesn't seem to reflect the reality on the ground.

Old 12-12-2022, 02:03 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 1 day ago)

8,361 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
It’s not like these laws and ordinances are voted on by the public at large. It’s the city councils that are making cities better for the community. If Houston wanted to do better, it would. Regardless of the demographics, the reality is that Houston doesn’t have some of the protections of other cities making it not a great place for the LGBTQ community.
They did. When Dallas, San Antonio, etc. passed these, they were not forced to put it to the voters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_H..._Proposition_1

Here is the deal: Houston is NOT a hostile place for LGBTQ people. In practice, the LGBTQ community is thriving here. There was a gay mayor for two terms.

However, Houston also doesn't try to do much of anything in these regards. Houston is a very hands off/libertarian place. That means a reluctance towards a variety of policies.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 12-12-2022 at 02:11 PM..

Old 12-12-2022, 07:44 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,312,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
They did. When Dallas, San Antonio, etc. passed these, they were not forced to put it to the voters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_H..._Proposition_1

Here is the deal: Houston is NOT a hostile place for LGBTQ people. In practice, the LGBTQ community is thriving here. There was a gay mayor for two terms.

However, Houston also doesn't try to do much of anything in these regards. Houston is a very hands off/libertarian place. That means a reluctance towards a variety of policies.
Agree with this. and yes, we did vote on it here in Dallas in the past. The LGBTQIA+ community is also much more visible than in Houston and that helps as well.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:06 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,407,986 times
Houston is one of the most conservative big cities in the US by pretty much any metric.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:45 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,983,034 times
People put too much into these dumb lists. Most often how it plays out on the ground is way different. People here honestly thinking El Paso or OKC are more open and accepting of gays than Houston because of this list. Houston, the largest city in the US to elect an openly gay/lesbian mayor, home to a thriving gayborhood that spawned events that were copied in other cities, etc., is a pretty open and accepting place regardless of what this list says

You can pass all the fluff laws you want. Doesnt mean all will abide or not try finding ways around it. A better list would be a survey done for that community on how comfortable they feel where they live, then rank that way based on responses. Not this.

Old 12-13-2022, 05:08 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
My city St Louis scored 100 is not surprising. So many same sex couples live and thrive here.

Miami and Charlotte needs to step it up. Kind of surprised to see Miami being conservative.

Conservative legislation will hurt Memphis and especially Nashville eventually.
Not surprisedby the low scores. https://tennesseelookout.com/2021/04...y-legislation/
I tend to map my native Missouri and my adopted Pennsylvania onto each other, for while there are some noteworthy differences, there are also many similarities.

One of these: Both of the largest cities in both states scored 100.

I was quite surprised, though, to see Independence scoring a dismal 25.

That points to one of the big differences. So do the scores for the other sizable cities in both states (*state capital):

Missouri (Cape Girardeau and Independence appear on the list of shame upthread)

Columbia 100
Jefferson City* 57
Springfield they linked to the wrong Springfield; I would expect it to score no higher than Independence
St. Charles 60

Not graded but should have been: St. Joseph, Rolla. I would expect neither city to score above 50.

Pennsylvania

Allentown 94
Carlisle 90
Erie 100
Harrisburg* 71
New Hope 81 (this is also surprising, for this Bucks County town has long been a popular LGBT playground)
Reading 91
State College 100
Wilkes-Barre 70

Not graded but should have been: Bethlehem, Easton, Lancaster, Scranton, York. I'd be surprised if Lancaster, which is as liberal as its county is conservative, didn't score at least a 90; I'd expect Scranton to score about the same as nearby Wilkes-Barre.

And if you look at the county-by-county Presidential election returns, you will find that aside from four county equivalents – Boone (Columbia), Jackson (oldest part of Kansas City but also Independence), St. Louis County, St. Louis City – the rest of Missouri is bright red, while there are blue splotches in several places in Pennsylvania aside from the Southeast (Greater Philadephia – five counties) and Allegheny County (Pittsburgh); one of those blue splotches includes the county containing State College (Centre) and the one where Harrisburg is located (Dauphin) while another includes Scranton (Lackawanna County). I think this too goes a ways towards explaining the difference in scores between Missouri and Pennsylvania cities overall.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:38 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,663,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I tend to map my native Missouri and my adopted Pennsylvania onto each other, for while there are some noteworthy differences, there are also many similarities.

One of these: Both of the largest cities in both states scored 100.

I was quite surprised, though, to see Independence scoring a dismal 25.

That points to one of the big differences. So do the scores for the other sizable cities in both states (*state capital):

Missouri (Cape Girardeau and Independence appear on the list of shame upthread)

Columbia 100
Jefferson City* 57
Springfield they linked to the wrong Springfield; I would expect it to score no higher than Independence
St. Charles 60

Not graded but should have been: St. Joseph, Rolla. I would expect neither city to score above 50.

Pennsylvania

Allentown 94
Carlisle 90
Erie 100
Harrisburg* 71
New Hope 81 (this is also surprising, for this Bucks County town has long been a popular LGBT playground)
Reading 91
State College 100
Wilkes-Barre 70

Not graded but should have been: Bethlehem, Easton, Lancaster, Scranton, York. I'd be surprised if Lancaster, which is as liberal as its county is conservative, didn't score at least a 90; I'd expect Scranton to score about the same as nearby Wilkes-Barre.

And if you look at the county-by-county Presidential election returns, you will find that aside from four county equivalents – Boone (Columbia), Jackson (oldest part of Kansas City but also Independence), St. Louis County, St. Louis City – the rest of Missouri is bright red, while there are blue splotches in several places in Pennsylvania aside from the Southeast (Greater Philadephia – five counties) and Allegheny County (Pittsburgh); one of those blue splotches includes the county containing State College (Centre) and the one where Harrisburg is located (Dauphin) while another includes Scranton (Lackawanna County). I think this too goes a ways towards explaining the difference in scores between Missouri and Pennsylvania cities overall.
I'm not surprised Pittsburgh scored 100. We're a very LGBTQ+ friendly city.

I'm also not surprised my native Wilkes-Barre scored the lowest in Pennsylvania, as it still feels 30 years behind the times whenever I go "home" to visit family and friends. Hopefully the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre MSA can enter the 21st Century soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City