Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 06:45 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 1 day ago)

8,361 posts, read 5,525,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Houston is one of the most conservative big cities in the US by pretty much any metric.
Please elaborate.

My argument is that Houston is neither conservative or all that liberal (even though it is blue). Rather, its very libertarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 07:10 AM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Please elaborate.

My argument is that Houston is neither conservative or all that liberal (even though it is blue). Rather, its very libertarian.
I think they’re right. Houston and DFW are quite conservative for metros their sizes. Neither voted blue as a metro area until last year. Making them 50-50. Rarely any metro area outside of those two that are 5M+ in population are anything lower 60% Democratic voting in presidential elections.

And on a city level, Houston is much larger than Dallas and covers a much bigger % of its metro. Houston’s urban core is just as liberal as Dallas’ but places in the city limits like Willowbrook are another story.

Which basically reflects atadytics point earlier.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I think they’re right. Houston and DFW are quite conservative for metros their sizes. Neither voted blue as a metro area until last year. Making them 50-50. Rarely any metro area outside of those two that are 5M+ in population are anything lower 60% Democratic voting in presidential elections.

And on a city level, Houston is much larger than Dallas and covers a much bigger % of its metro. Houston’s urban core is just as liberal as Dallas’ but places in the city limits like Willowbrook are another story.

Which basically reflects atadytics point earlier.
I agree with all of that, I just tend to view Houston as more libertarian as opposed to conservative or liberal. That’s based on more than voting patterns IMO.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:29 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Please elaborate.

I actually think that describes Texas in general; immigration aside, it seems to me that Texas conservatives tend to soft-pedal culture-war stuff.

And equally to this point, if Houston is a particularly "conservative" big city, then it's the most "conservative" big city to have elected an openly gay mayor.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I actually think that describes Texas in general; immigration aside, it seems to me that Texas conservatives tend to soft-pedal culture-war stuff.

And equally to this point, if Houston is a particularly "conservative" big city, then it's the most "conservative" big city to have elected an openly gay mayor.
Agree with post paragraphs. But on a metro level, Houston (or DFW) wouldn’t dream of hiring an openly gay or even black mayor in the suburbs. Maybe Austin can by now. In 15 years it may be different though

Old 12-13-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Agree with post paragraphs. But on a metro level, Houston (or DFW) wouldn’t dream of hiring an openly gay or even black mayor in the suburbs. Maybe Austin can by now. In 15 years it may be different though
There are suburbs of Houston and DFW that have had black mayors. Plano had one very recently.

Houston and DFW are more racially progressive than Austin so I completely disagree with the idea that somehow suburbs of Austin would be open to a black mayor but DFW and Houston wouldn't be. I think all three would be fine with a black mayor.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:54 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,407,986 times
Quote:
Please elaborate.

Yes, this is the point. Other big cities are more left-leaning than Houston. Hence, Houston is one of, if not the most conservative big cities. I didn't say that it was overall conservative, just that it is relative to other big cities.

Quote:
There are suburbs of Houston and DFW that have had black mayors. Plano had one very recently.

Houston and DFW are more racially progressive than Austin so I completely disagree with the idea that somehow suburbs of Austin would be open to a black mayor but DFW and Houston wouldn't be. I think all three would be fine with a black mayor.
I find the idea that Austin "wouldn't be open to a black mayor" very bizarre. You realize the margins that Obama won Austin by? You think they would vote for a black president but not a mayor? Could it be that Austin just doesn't have many black people, and up to this point have not had a mayoral candidate emerge from that small population?

Old 12-13-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Yes, this is the point. Other big cities are more left-leaning than Houston. Hence, Houston is one of, if not the most conservative big cities. I didn't say that it was overall conservative, just that it is relative to other big cities.
Fair enough.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:14 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,407,986 times
Quote:
You guys realize that even the far right are putting up candidates like Herschel Walker right? I don't get how you can take any huge group of people in the USA in 2022 and think that they wouldn't dream of electing someone because of sexual orientation or race. Now, are there many gay or black people that both identify with the conservative politics popular in those areas and are also qualified for mayor? Probably not. But to say that people would vote against them purely based on race is pretty gross. I really don't think that's where we are in 2022.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Good point I should’ve specified. Fort Bend County is certainly not conservative. While northern Dallas suburbs are trending towards the liberal side. What my point was is that HOU and DFW metros have a much larger share of suburbs that are conservative. I don’t even have to bring them up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City