Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a stronger urban feel?
Charlotte, North Carolina 28 25.93%
Richmond, Virginia 80 74.07%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 04:46 PM

1,023 posts, read 913,935 times

Advertisements

All the actual Richmond posters have been pretty civil. I think the other stuff might be trolling. I wouldn't take it at face value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 04:48 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
All the actual Richmond posters have been pretty civil.
Not really...

How is comparing Charlotte to Disney World or Vegas, calling its urban neighborhoods artificial and lifeless, using terms such as "real city" civil? (Comparing it to Manhattan was foolish, but so is comparing anything in Richmond to Brooklyn)

How is THIS civil? lol... Because I see what some posts are for what they are I must be FROM Charlotte? Whaaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Only the folks from Charlotte keep going on about row houses. The rest of us have listed several ways that Richmond is more urban.

Old 12-16-2022, 05:00 PM

1,023 posts, read 913,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Not really...

How is comparing Charlotte to Disney World or Vegas, calling its urban neighborhoods artificial and lifeless, using terms such as "real city" civil? (Comparing it to Manhattan was foolish, but so is comparing anything in Richmond to Brooklyn)

How is THIS civil? lol... Because I see what some posts are for what they are I must be FROM Charlotte? Whaaaat?
I think you have what I said confused or responded before I added more than one sentence. There are really only like 3 Richmond posters on city data. Myself, murk, spencer, Vayankee. The other posts are from people not from Richmond. I think that they are trolling. The posters actually from Richmond I don't think have been very confrontational.

Old 12-16-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I think you have what I said confused or responded before I added more than one sentence. There are really only like 3 Richmond posters on city data. Myself, murk, spencer, Vayankee. The other posts are from people not from Richmond. I think that they are trolling. The posters actually from Richmond I don't think have been very confrontational.
Got it. Yeah, as is typical of C-D, we get our share of Googlemaps explorers who have never actually been to the cities they are discussing. This is coming from both sides.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 12-16-2022 at 06:18 PM..

Old 12-16-2022, 06:13 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,398,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Only the folks from Charlotte keep going on about row houses. The rest of us have listed several ways that Richmond is more urban. I don’t think any of us mentioned row houses in the process.
I don’t know where “trollish†people are from when the locations aren’t posted. I agree the Richmond posters (where it clearly states they’re from Richmond) have had good post. Which is why it’s a shame they get buried in the hoopla.

I don’t think row houses or old for the sake of being old makes a place more “urbanâ€. I think policy (both state & local) play a role in how urban a place develops. Charlotte being more urban sprawl - IMO - by design, etc. and the illegality of urbanity in almost all of inner city Charlotte outside of a few areas (I believe they are “UMUD†zoning or something I dunno. I forgot all the zoning codes there). Will the heart of NoDa start allowing Multifamily, duplexes, etc? I know the zoning laws just changed but if (outside of North Davidson St.) NoDa is/was illegal to build denser housing, that’s pretty bad given it’s known as having a small urban node at Davidson & 36th. I already posted all that though so I won’t repeat.

And yes. A sprawling city that is overall quite suburban in build can have good pockets of urbanity. FYI.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 12-16-2022 at 06:23 PM..

Old 12-16-2022, 06:17 PM

55 posts, read 34,753 times
Quote:
I'm not from Charlotte. I've never lived there. As a matter-of-fact, I'm from one of the great urban cities of the Northeast, and I now live in Florida.

Try again lol

And... Rowhouses was brought up early in this thread by one of the staunchest defenders of Richmond's "urbanity."

The posters here who argue FOR Charlotte's urbanity have given plenty of reasons as to why they think it has stronger urbanity, only to be met by "it's lifeless!" "It's Disney World!" "That's URBAN? Hahahaha!" "We don't care about sports and stadiums!" "We have a block that looks like a block in Brooklyn... Kind of..."
What HAVE been the arguments for Richmond? Can you list them? Just curious, since you are bringing this up.

I initially voted for Richmond, but the more I look up the numbers due to the sheer ignorance and stubbornness in this thread, the more I am realizing that it isn't such a wash, and in many ways, Charlotte actually surpasses Richmond in urban amenities.

Ironically, in looking up density and urbanity stats for Richmond, this is one of the first articles that came up for me:

https://vpm.org/news/articles/27962/...may-rein-it-in

Yeah... I don't think either one of these cities is a poster child for urbanity, although perhaps, Charlotte is certainly making stronger strides in its core neighborhoods.

Lol. Keep looking up numbers… At the end of the day, first hand experience matters.

To say that Charlotte is more urban than Richmond is blasphemy.

Why is it wrong to promote Charlotte as one of the greatest suburban cities in America. I think it is.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfreeUSA4life View Post
Lol. Keep looking up numbers… At the end of the day, first hand experience matters.

To say that Charlotte is more urban than Richmond is blasphemy.

Why is it wrong to promote Charlotte as one of the greatest suburban cities in America. I think it is.
It does seem pretty dishonest to call Charlotte suburban. It's downtown isn't suburban, you're acting like Charlotte is a completely suburban edge city.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:52 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,813,808 times
Quote:
I'm not from Charlotte. I've never lived there. As a matter-of-fact, I'm from one of the great urban cities of the Northeast, and I now live in Florida.

Try again lol

And... Rowhouses was brought up early in this thread by one of the staunchest defenders of Richmond's "urbanity."

The posters here who argue FOR Charlotte's urbanity have given plenty of reasons as to why they think it has stronger urbanity, only to be met by "it's lifeless!" "It's Disney World!" "That's URBAN? Hahahaha!" "We don't care about sports and stadiums!" "We have a block that looks like a block in Brooklyn... Kind of..."
What HAVE been the arguments for Richmond? Can you list them? Just curious, since you are bringing this up.

I initially voted for Richmond, but the more I look up the numbers due to the sheer ignorance and stubbornness in this thread, the more I am realizing that it isn't such a wash, and in many ways, Charlotte actually surpasses Richmond in urban amenities.

Ironically, in looking up density and urbanity stats for Richmond, this is one of the first articles that came up for me:

https://vpm.org/news/articles/27962/...may-rein-it-in

Yeah... I don't think either one of these cities is a poster child for urbanity, although perhaps, Charlotte is certainly making stronger strides in its core neighborhoods.
Keep telling you all, there's a deep biased on here that keep overating a handful of cities. Ikeep saying it and can't say it enough, Richmond is a neat place and underrated outside of here but highly over-rated on here. Same with Seattle, used to be my 2nd favorite city after Savannah, but soooooo operated on here. Also looking at you SF, Denver, big shout out to MSP, Austin you have come a long way but some already want to put you in the same league as your big brothers so you are still on the CD-OR list.

Richmond I love ya but when I think of city I think of London. Not because of silly things like walkscore or that detached, attached nonsense (even in the burbs around London you see lots of attached sfh) but because it is THE city. The center of the world. The place everyone wants to do business with or have flights to.

When you think urban world cities you don't think all those south Asian super-dense cities. We think of London, Tokyo, Paris and New York. We think because all of those happen to be dense that density is what makes them urban, but nope, it's the fact that they are centers of business that makes them urban.

If I had to find a new urban area to do business and the choices were down to Richmond and Charlotte it would be Charlotte in a heartbeat. Bigger business climate, bigger infrastructure, far superior airport, more international....Charlotte is definitely the more urban city. Richmond is more like a medium town. And the excess of the 'monuments' makes it feel even more that way.

Old 12-16-2022, 07:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Keep telling you all, there's a deep biased on here that keep overating a handful of cities. Ikeep saying it and can't say it enough, Richmond is a neat place and underrated outside of here but highly over-rated on here. Same with Seattle, used to be my 2nd favorite city after Savannah, but soooooo operated on here. Also looking at you SF, Denver, big shout out to MSP, Austin you have come a long way but some already want to put you in the same league as your big brothers so you are still on the CD-OR list.

Richmond I love ya but when I think of city I think of London. Not because of silly things like walkscore or that detached, attached nonsense (even in the burbs around London you see lots of attached sfh) but because it is THE city. The center of the world. The place everyone wants to do business with or have flights to.

When you think urban world cities you don't think all those south Asian super-dense cities. We think of London, Tokyo, Paris and New York. We think because all of those happen to be dense that density is what makes them urban, but nope, it's the fact that they are centers of business that makes them urban.

If I had to find a new urban area to do business and the choices were down to Richmond and Charlotte it would be Charlotte in a heartbeat. Bigger business climate, bigger infrastructure, far superior airport, more international....Charlotte is definitely the more urban city. Richmond is more like a medium town. And the excess of the 'monuments' makes it feel even more that way.
This is soooo incredibly wrong. Urban has nothing whatsoever to do with business. Density alone doesn't make a place urban or we'd be fawning over soviet apartment blocks, but we don't. It's about urban design far more than economics.

If you had to find a new city to do business in, it's level of ubanity is not a factor to consider. This makes absolutely no sense.

Old 12-16-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This is soooo incredibly wrong. Urban has nothing whatsoever to do with business. Density alone doesn't make a place urban or we'd be fawning over soviet apartment blocks, but we don't. It's about urban design far more than economics.

If you had to find a new city to do business in, it's level of ubanity is not a factor to consider. This makes absolutely no sense.
Eh... We recently had this come up with our company... Urban center and Urban amenities was certainly a focal point in our deciding factor. Things such as "When Client 'A' comes into town," etc etc...

We had cheaper options in other places, but ultimately, it came down to airports, and big city amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City