Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would be more prominent?
Long Beach 37 60.66%
Newark 24 39.34%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2022, 04:18 PM

376 posts, read 209,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Long Beach isn't any worse than LA on average as a place to live . Newark is way worse than NYC. TO pick Newark over LB I think you would have to way prefer NYC over LA in that case

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
NYC has a higher crime rate than Newark actually. Homicide rate is debatable. There's surely neighborhoods in Brooklyn or Bronx that make Newark look tame.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2023 at 03:12 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 04:54 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

NYC has a higher crime rate than Newark actually. Homicide rate is debatable. There's surely neighborhoods in Brooklyn or Bronx that make Newark look tame.
Homicide rate is the least debatable crime stat. Anyway I never mentioned crime. Overall QOL Long Beach seems on par with LA for average residents. No way Newark is on par with NYC there

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2023 at 03:12 AM..

Old 12-30-2022, 05:31 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Homicide rate is the least debatable crime stat. Anyway I never mentioned crime. Overall QOL Long Beach seems on par with LA for average residents. No way Newark is on par with NYC there
Yeah. This is derailing fast.

Its Long Beach... no question.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:27 PM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It’s a tough ass ugly city man…

Woulda been better off with Jersey city.
Stay in Boston, Newark doesn't need you!

Quote:
There’s no pro sports in Jersey besides the devils and none are in Newark. Not gonna front… Newark is kinda scary.
Newark used to host the Nets until they moved to Brooklyn back in 2012. And it's good that it's scary, because Newark doesn't need you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
yeah I did uber there and it was pretty scary... I don't f with Irvington, parts of Newark and the bad Orange.
It's funny that two Bay Staters are griping over Newark , considering that Newark is actually a product of Puritans from CT back in 1666 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark...Jersey#History). I guess it was the heavy industry that Newark had that made it scary compared to Boston, which didn't have steel mills not the heavy industry that characterized the Rust Belt. Albeit Newark, and and to a smaller degree, Scranton and Cleveland are products of New England, Newark doesn't need to be Boston, Newark just needs to be........NEWARK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Why not Oakland vs. Newark? They both have more defined identities vis a vis their big brother/sister neighbors across a large body of water, home to protest movements, and decent sized airports and deep water ports.
I always felt that Oakland and Newark were brothers from different mothers. Oakland was described as Brooklyn compared to SF's Manhattan, but it's really another Newark on the West Coast, while Newark is the Oakland on the East Coast due to the busy seaports and the proximity of the major cities of NY and SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Both cities suffered due to riots. Newark in 1967 and Long Beach in 1992. Newark's riots greatly accelerated the decline of a city that was already in decline. Long Beach was also in decline prior to the riots as McDonnell Douglas had laid off thousands, the Naval port was closing, and drugs and gangs were growing.

But Long Beach was for some reason more resilient than Newark which never really recovered even though it had a professional NBA and NHL teams and lots of investment over the years and has direct connections to NYC by NJT, PATH, and Amtrak.
I prefer Newark's infrastructure compared to Long Beach. Long Beach is a more scenic city over Newark due to being close to the beaches and the port, but if I had to choose which city to live in and I was restricted to those two, I'd easily choose Newark only because I grew up in Brooklyn and I lived in Philadelphia for 20+ years. I'm not planning on coming back to America anytime soon, but it's Newark over Long Beach because it's similar to what I'm used to. The closest West Coast city that's similar to NYC & Philadelphia is SF, and the closest West Coast city to Newark is Oakland. There's no other city in America that's like Los Angeles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
If you replaced the underclass Black population from the citizens to the officials that hold the city back, with a white or Asian population, Newark would win.
-Huge mass transit hub.
-Largest port on the east coast
-Major league sports(even if the Devils have been garbage for a decade)
-NJPAC
-International Airport
-3 major college campuses
-Several magnet high schools
-High rise towers going up downtown
-Its own subway/light rail system(no not the PATH LOL)
The large black population in Newark actually gives the city of Newark some character and flavor. Speaking of flavor, the Flavor Unit was founded by Newark native Queen Latifah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavor_Unit_Entertainment). And Newark isn't just blacks (who make up the majority), it's Latinos (Puerto Ricans and Dominicans), and Newark has the largest Portuguese population outside of New England and CA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...rk,_New_Jersey). A lot of people don't know that about Newark, NJ, which is why it's a much more interesting city than Jersey City and my favorite city outside of South Jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Long Beach isn't really doing anything. Just stagnant. Its homeless situation is worse than Newark's. Bad areas away from the beach. It ain't upscale lol. The 2 reasons why it wins is because of its location and a lower percentage of Black underclass.
I feel the reason for the higher concentrations of homeless has a lot to do with CA's relative favorable weather over the East Coast, which experiences all four seasons.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:33 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
i was there maybe 9 days ago... Newark is absolutely horrible. I see no way in how it can compare to Long Beach.

It is severely underfunded, lots of homelessness, very rundown, little development and just ugly in general. It does have a lot of potential. But then we strattle the line of gentrification.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7334...7i16384!8i8192 This area is terrifyingly depressing. So many homeless people lying on the doors of the train station.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7347...7i16384!8i8192 Vibrant area.. Great local diverse dining scene
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7281...7i16384!8i8192 Supposedly this area is gentrifying quickly (Ironbound)
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7751...7i16384!8i8192 Rail to Trail will change this area by the 2030s.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7472...7i16384!8i8192 I drove uber here once at night... it was terrifying.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7309...7i16384!8i8192 Absolutely 0 investment to this part of Newark.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7078...7i16384!8i8192 While still not the nicest, this neighborhood is quickly becoming a vibrant community for Trinidadians, Jamaicans and Caribbean's.
Of the Street Views you posted here, the only ones I would say look truly awful are the three before the last one.

The very first one, Raymond Plaza East next to Newark Penn Station, is the area you pass through in order to get to the Ironbound from the station. The homeless people sleeping may be unlovely, but "terrifyingly depressing" is IMO a gross exaggeration, especially after seeing similarly "decorated" streetscapes in San Francisco and Miami Beach. (Edited to add: Given that California's incredibly expensive housing contributes to the homelessness problem in that state, I'd be damned surprised if there were no such places where homeless people camp out in Long Beach.)

Bloomfield Avenue IMO is a good metaphor for the city as a whole. It's not that much to look at, but it has a lot of life along (in) it, and that gives it an appeal of its own. If Carl Dranoff could see opportunity here, then I'd like to suggest that, your own experiences here or those beat-up streetscapes notwithstanding, then you're selling this place short. After all, Dranoff builds mainly in a city where you can find beat-up streetscapes like the ones you posted from Newark real easily.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 12-30-2022 at 11:25 PM..

Old 12-31-2022, 06:50 AM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Bloomfield ave is no Park Place

https://goo.gl/maps/FoaVyJyNG7pE9HX96

Although to be fair Park Place, Atlantic City is no Park Place itself in 2023

Old 12-31-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Of the Street Views you posted here, the only ones I would say look truly awful are the three before the last one.

The very first one, Raymond Plaza East next to Newark Penn Station, is the area you pass through in order to get to the Ironbound from the station. The homeless people sleeping may be unlovely, but "terrifyingly depressing" is IMO a gross exaggeration, especially after seeing similarly "decorated" streetscapes in San Francisco and Miami Beach. (Edited to add: Given that California's incredibly expensive housing contributes to the homelessness problem in that state, I'd be damned surprised if there were no such places where homeless people camp out in Long Beach.)
The poster is from MA, and I don't see how trying to portray Newark as this desolate wasteland is really accurate. Yes, Newark had it's dark years in the 1960s all the way into the 2000s, but new it's turned a new leaf and out of the cities that actually suffered riots (Detroit, Gary), and the Rust Belt cities of Baltimore, Cleveland, and St Louis, Newark is actually the healthiest right now as far as economy.

I figured because Newark isn't a less diverse city, then Newark has to be some "third world wasteland" which is why I felt that if he (or she) wasn't happy about Newark, then he (or she) should go back to the happy land or sports championships known as Boston, because we don't need the entrenchment and the elitism of Boston, albeit it's a great city in it's own right, we don't need that crap in the Mid-Atlantic region!

The only bad parts of Newark are the Central Ward. West Ward (especially nearby East Orange) are mostly decent, and South Ward is middle class. The fun side is the East Ward and the best side is the North Ward. I figured Newark should've won because if oyou separated it from NYC, it would stand out as it's own major city but Newark is basically attached to the hip to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Bloomfield Avenue IMO is a good metaphor for the city as a whole. It's not that much to look at, but it has a lot of life along (in) it, and that gives it an appeal of its own. If Carl Dranoff could see opportunity here, then I'd like to suggest that, your own experiences here or those beat-up streetscapes notwithstanding, then you're selling this place short. After all, Dranoff builds mainly in a city where you can find beat-up streetscapes like the ones you posted from Newark real easily.
Dranoff needs to concentrate on improving Philadelphia. Newark is pretty much turf for NYC developers. The best proposals for Newark comes from Richard Meier, a Newark native. Kind of reminds me of Garrett Miller of Philadelphia but I won't go too far. Only difference is that Richard Meier has a lot more success and a lot more tenure than Miller and the fact that Meier is Jewish.

Old 12-31-2022, 08:55 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Stay in Boston, Newark doesn't need you!

Newark used to host the Nets until they moved to Brooklyn back in 2012. And it's good that it's scary, because Newark doesn't need you!

It's funny that two Bay Staters are griping over Newark , considering that Newark is actually a product of Puritans from CT back in 1666 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark...Jersey#History). I guess it was the heavy industry that Newark had that made it scary compared to Boston, which didn't have steel mills not the heavy industry that characterized the Rust Belt. Albeit Newark, and and to a smaller degree, Scranton and Cleveland are products of New England, Newark doesn't need to be Boston, Newark just needs to be........NEWARK!!!

I always felt that Oakland and Newark were brothers from different mothers. Oakland was described as Brooklyn compared to SF's Manhattan, but it's really another Newark on the West Coast, while Newark is the Oakland on the East Coast due to the busy seaports and the proximity of the major cities of NY and SF.

Newark may not need me but it needs something- it need some milk, some lotion, something. It’s ashy.

Irvington?- cool. Jersey City?- Cool. Orange and East Orange?- cool. Newark, Camden, Trenton, and Paterson? Its gonna be a no from me.

I’m sure Oakland felt like Newark at some point but it really feels more like Providence to me once you’re away from the port. Very diverse, very eclectic and very heavy in the arts. While Newark does have some strong arts it feels more black culture centered and political than Oakland and especially than Providence.

Newark feels more like Hartford just in terms of its aura and vibe- which given what you just said, makes sense. With Hartford being like a combo of Paterson Trenton and Newark.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-31-2022 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-31-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Newark may not need me but it needs something- it need some milk, some lotion, something. It’s ashy.

Irvington?- cool. Jersey City?- Cool. Orange and East Orange?- cool. Newark, Camden, Trenton, and Paterson? Its gonna be a no from me.

I’m sure Oakland felt like Newark at some point but it really feels more like Providence to me once you’re away from the port. Very diverse, very eclectic and very heavy in the arts. While Newark does have some strong arts it feels more black culture centered and political than Oakland and especially than Providence.

Newark feels more like Hartford just in terms of its aura and vibe- which given what you just said, makes sense. With Hartford being like a combo of Paterson Trenton and Newark.
Hartford is a capital city and the fourth largest city (used to be the first) and Newark is the largest city in NJ. Both cities are insurance cities, and both cities were industrial cities, Hartford with guns and ammunition and Newark having iron and steel and the port. I don't see the similarities between the two cities, but if anything the only city I really compare Hartford to is Providence. If there's a CT equivalent to Newark, that'd be Bridgeport.

Plus, if you don't mind me asking, what's your ethnicity?

Old 12-31-2022, 09:46 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Hartford is a capital city and the fourth largest city (used to be the first) and Newark is the largest city in NJ. Both cities are insurance cities, and both cities were industrial cities, Hartford with guns and ammunition and Newark having iron and steel and the port. I don't see the similarities between the two cities, but if anything the only city I really compare Hartford to is Providence. If there's a CT equivalent to Newark, that'd be Bridgeport.

Plus, if you don't mind me asking, what's your ethnicity?
I’ve do mind you asking actually. There’s no context.

I say Hartford because Hartford is more important than Bridgeport to Connecticut as a whole. Bridgeport certainly feels like Newark too, but it’s much less significant to the state culturally and economically than Newark is to NJ. Not much if it’s own identity the way Newark does. The size difference between Hartford and Bridgeport isn’t that significant really. But yea I could see someone saying JC=Stamford, and Newark= Bridgeport.

Providence is quite different than Hartford and much more similar to New Haven.

The only cities mentioned here I would prefer over Long Beach are Jersey City New Haven and Stamford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City