Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Place to live: Washington DC Proper N of Anacostia River or West Los Angeles (W of Korea Town betwee
Washington DC Proper N of Anacostia River 16 34.78%
West Los Angeles (W of Korea Town between the 10 & the 101) 30 65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 09:46 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
Where did you “run the number”? It’s OK you disagree.

I agree D.C is a highly educated city, the city itself is sophisticated with many international institutes and wealthy art patrons, but a lot of people there are “status-chasing transplants” who are on “power trip” (D.C is all about pedigree and power, anecdotally.) because that’s the whole point of working for the government and rubbing shoulders and hobnobbing in a town like D.C!
True this may be- DC is still a more educated town

You can run the numbers on Census Reporter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 10:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
For me, I live in NW DC so I picked DC. High QOL, more diverse, more walkable, etc.

agreed, why Crystal City in particular and not Arlington as a whole? North of the Anacostia is a weird designation. I'm not sure OP has a good understanding of the DC area.
Definitely not more diverse....West LA is waaaaay more diverse than DC (whether you're limiting to West DC or DC in its entirety), and it's not even close

Old 01-04-2023, 10:24 AM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Definitely not more diverse....West LA is waaaaay more diverse than DC (whether you're limiting to West DC or DC in its entirety), and it's not even close
Yea.. LA is one is the most diverse cities in the world. DC is diverse, but not on LA's level.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:05 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,134 posts, read 7,586,619 times
Quote:
OP is cutting it from West of the Anacostia river and including across to the West of the Potomac in Arlington. With it cut out that way West LA is not "waaaaay" more diverse than the area being talked about for DC. The District proper only loses points when by percentage adding in EOTR.

And as an urban area, and a metro area DC and LA are arguably chasing 2nd and 3rd for most diversity in the nation with maybe Houston as the other contender.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:36 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
True this may be- DC is still a more educated town

You can run the numbers on Census Reporter.
The Westside of LA is most likely more highly educated than DC tho. It is the idyllic version of LA people think of, aside from the beaches and hollywood types, its very worldly, extremely cosmopolitan, cutting edge in art, media, tech, a real magnet for talent from all over the world. People of considerable means and ability flock there. Ijs.

Old 01-04-2023, 12:06 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,427,004 times
Quote:
Source? I'm not really sure its "not even close".

Old 01-04-2023, 12:43 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Westside of LA is most likely more highly educated than DC tho. It is the idyllic version of LA people think of, aside from the beaches and hollywood types, its very worldly, extremely cosmopolitan, cutting edge in art, media, tech, a real magnet for talent from all over the world. People of considerable means and ability flock there. Ijs.
I think in terms of very high net worth individuals, westside of LA will beat out DC. However, in terms of education as in degrees in various fields from accredited institutions, it's going to be DC by a fairly large measure. I think going by talent though is going to be more difficult to show one way or the other as talent can be pretty loosely defined or swung towards an arbitrary definition, and I think there can be a reasonable distinction and non-exclusive distinction made between highly educated and talented.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-04-2023 at 12:55 PM..

Old 01-04-2023, 01:32 PM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think in terms of very high net worth individuals, westside of LA will beat out DC. [i]However, in terms of education as in degrees in various fields from accredited institutions, it's going to be DC by a fairly large margin
Perhaps in the bureaucrat sense, but otherwise Im not sure. I don't think we can overstate the fact that LA attracts a lot of people who are quite accomplished in many fields.

Old 01-04-2023, 01:37 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Perhaps in the bureaucrat sense, but otherwise Im not sure. I don't think we can overstate the fact that LA attracts a lot of people who are quite accomplished in many fields.
Yes, I said there is a distinction to be made between talented and highly educated though they are not mutually exclusive (as in you can be one or the other, both, or neither). Same goes with quite accomplished and highly educated. However, the person you're quoting specifically said highly educated and I do not think it is accurate to characterize the Westside of Los Angeles as more highly educated than DC and that can be demonstrably shown to some extent as educational attainment does actually get directly polled in the census. Talented and accomplished though would be a trickier one to get data on, but I do think this is a lot more comparable though somewhat nebulous in definition. I do like westside LA especially as the OP stretches it out all the way to include Griffith Park, Hollywood, and Koreatown and I think with that sort of definition, it's easily the best part of all of California unless we're arguing for something natural like coastal redwoods or yosemite.

Old 01-04-2023, 01:46 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Source? I'm not really sure its "not even close".
Well, it's hard to slice by the specific boundaries given, but I was going by the Census alone for LA vs DC:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...5222,PST045221

Although, admittedly, I always forget how embarrassingly low LA's Black population is, so actually I may have to retract my statement.

Even with such high Asian and Latino populations, LA has a such a low Black population and DC has a high Black population, so they I guess that balances out and the diversity disparity isn't as great between the 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City