Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Place to live: Washington DC Proper N of Anacostia River or West Los Angeles (W of Korea Town betwee
Washington DC Proper N of Anacostia River 16 34.78%
West Los Angeles (W of Korea Town between the 10 & the 101) 30 65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 11:33 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post

DC is still a very attractive city for young white people. I don't really see that declining. I also think Amazon's move into the area will also have the effect of attracting a lot of White/Asian tech workers, many of which will live in DC.

The Non-Hispanic White population of DC was 30% in 2000 and it's now 37%, but the total white popilation (including White Hispanics) is 45.9%. I don't think its a stretch for the white population in DC to reach 51%+ in the near future.
Yea but there was a much larger white young population from 2000-2015. The pool of young white people is decreasing nationwide, faster than the overall decline in whites that began in the past 2-3 years. There are only so many places they'll move to. Also, Asians and Hispanics will continue to grow at much faster rates. White people will still move in but the pool to pull from is smaller now than in 2012 and suburbs are more urban and amenity-rich and have more delivery and stuff.

I personally don't really count white Hispanics. Very few Hispanics are actually white. And much fewer Hispanics are identifying as white now (2020 Census and moving forward) than in 2000 or 2010.

I think there actually no shot white-non Hispanic become a majority in DC. It's very possible, likely really, that happens with white including Hispanic by 2030 but that's crazy to think about. to me the DMV stand out as a black metro more than DC stand out as a black city. I think that's because I live in Baltimore now where the city is and feels much blacker. But the suburbs feels a little less black. As a city DC feels less black than Philly to me at this point. I just don't see it as ever being majority-white skinned people.

In relation to LA- it feels a little more DIverse to me. But LA probably (im quite sure of it) has a lot more white and Asian diversity that I wasn't privy too. However, DC has more black diversity. I dont think overall diversity easily goes toward either city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 11:43 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,427,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea but there was a much larger white young population from 2000-2015. The pool of young white people is decreasing nationwide, faster than the overall decline in whites that began in the past 2-3 years. There are only so many places they'll move to. Also, Asians and Hispanics will continue to grow at much faster rates. White people will still move in but the pool to pull from is smaller now than in 2012 and suburbs are more urban and amenity-rich and have more delivery and stuff.

I personally don't really count white Hispanics. Very few Hispanics are actually white. And much fewer Hispanics are identifying as white now (2020 Census and moving forward) than in 2000 or 2010.

I think there actually no shot white-non Hispanic become a majority in DC. It's very possible, likely really, that happens with white including Hispanic by 2030 but that's crazy to think about. to me the DMV stand out as a black metro more than DC stand out as a black city. I think that's because I live in Baltimore now where the city is and feels much blacker. But the suburbs feels a little less black. As a city DC feels less black than Philly to me at this point. I just don't see it as ever being majority-white skinned people.

In relation to LA- it feels a little more DIverse to me. But LA probably (im quite sure of it) has a lot more white and Asian diversity that I wasn't privy too. However, DC has more black diversity. I dont think overall diversity easily goes toward either city.
Well most Hispanics are in fact white. Of course you have mixed race and black Hispanics but depending on country of origin most are white. And a good chuck, nearly half, of DC's Hispanic identify as white.

As far as nationwide trends in the white population, DC seems to be one of the cities that white people still like to move to. So the potential pool to draw from may be smaller but I don't think DC will struggle to attract white residents. I'll also not that the Hispanic and Asian population is still relatively low, DC is a black/white city.

as far as the metro, the DMV will always be associated with black people IMO. There's too much history, wealth, culture, etc. here. And the metro is still like ~25% Black and the largest single group is likely to remain African American. It helps that Maryland and Virginia are both very black so the black presence throughout the DMV area will always be apparent.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2023 at 03:21 AM..

Old 01-06-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Well most Hispanics are in fact white. .
No, they are not. They are mostly mixed race, and the 2020 Census confirms that. And in DC most Hispanics are predominately indigenous- for sure.

I'm familiar with Statistical Atlas, not really reliable. Its okay Their data is not 2020 data though its like 2016.

In 2020:
26M Hispanics identify as Some Other Race
20 M Identify as Two or More Races
12.6M identify as White.. (that's like 20% of the 62 M Hispanics) and that's probably heavily titled to the wets and south, and even still might be elevated due to Socioeconomic reasons.

Per the Census DC was only 39.6% White Alone

it was 38.0% White alone Non-Hispanic.

That means 1.6% of the city is White Hispanic but 11.3% of the city was Hispanic. Means about 14.2% of Hispanics in DC identified as white- which make sense given only 20% of US Hispanics identify as white... This is coming from the actual Census.

I would suspect in 2030 Youll see both the white non-Hispanic and black non-Hispanic populations hovering at 39% or so. Black population share decreases in DC are slowing and white spent the first part of this decade moving to suburbs.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-06-2023 at 12:15 PM..

Old 01-06-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Well most Hispanics are in fact white. Of course you have mixed race and black Hispanics but depending on country of origin most are white. And a good chuck, nearly half, of DC's Hispanic identify as white.

As far as nationwide trends in the white population, DC seems to be one of the cities that white people still like to move to. So the potential pool to draw from may be smaller but I don't think DC will struggle to attract white residents. I'll also not that the Hispanic and Asian population is still relatively low, DC is a black/white city.

as far as the metro, the DMV will always be associated with black people IMO. There's too much history, wealth, culture, etc. here. And the metro is still like ~25% Black and the largest single group is likely to remain African American. It helps that Maryland and Virginia are both very black so the black presence throughout the DMV area will always be apparent.
As I said though, it won't struggle to attract white residents. They will grow in number but becoming majority white seems unlikely due to the faster growth of Asian and Hispanics and other factors I explained.

And the DMV is not the same as DC. When I talk about DC, I always mean the District of Columbia.

Black people associate DC with black people and the term DMV with black people. I doubt other people view it the same way.

And for clarification I don't think LA feels more diverse than DC. I mistyped. Probably the same.

Old 01-06-2023, 01:01 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:

This definitely isn't true. The vast majority in the US are "mestizo" (Indigenous/Spanish mix). Now many might check "white" as their race because the concept of white race is different many places outside the US, especially in Latin America, and many do have some mixed white ancestry. So when surveys are given, if they do check the "race" box, outside of the very few that are clearly black, most will check white.

I think DC attracts whites who move for government/political career, and because of the transient nature, many of those people also leave at some point.

Old 01-06-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
No, they are not.

In 2020:
12.6M identify as White.. (that's like 20% of the 62 M Hispanics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This definitely isn't true. The vast majority in the US are "mestizo" (Indigenous/Spanish mix). Now many might check "white" as their race because the concept of white race is different many places outside the US, especially in Latin America, and many do have some mixed white ancestry. So when surveys are given, if they do check the "race" box, outside of the very few that are clearly black, most will check white.

I think DC attracts whites who move for government/political career, and because of the transient nature, many of those people also leave at some point.
"most will check white".

But again- this is no longer true^ only 20% did in 2020.

There's also the aspect that anyone with a pulse knows you are better off as white than black or mixed race.. so on top of cultural differences where they're from there is/was more impetus to identify as white..just to be careful.

White people in DC love i and I dont think theres many push factors at all. I suspect the population to continue to grow but not as dramatically as it has up to this point.

Old 01-06-2023, 02:10 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,427,004 times
Quote:

Quote:
No, they are not. They are mostly mixed race, and the 2020 Census confirms that. And in DC most Hispanics are predominately indigenous- for sure.

I'm familiar with Statistical Atlas, not really reliable. Its okay Their data is not 2020 data though its like 2016.

In 2020:
12.6M identify as White.. (that's like 20% of the 62 M Hispanics) and that's probably heavily titled to the wets and south, and even still might be elevated due to Socioeconomic reasons.

Per the Census DC was only 39.6% White Alone

it was 38.0% White alone Non-Hispanic.

That means 1.6% of the city is White Hispanic but 11.3% of the city was Hispanic. Means about 14.2% of Hispanics in DC identified as white- which make sense given only 20% of US Hispanics identify as white... This is coming from the actual Census.

I would suspect in 2030 Youll see both the white non-Hispanic and black non-Hispanic populations hovering at 39% or so. Black population share decreases in DC are slowing and white spent the first part of this decade moving to suburbs.
I was referring to Hispanic America in general. Check the censuses of these nations, most of the populace identify as white. Whether Americans *perceive* them as white is open to debate.

DC's Hispanic are mostly mestizo, the biggest groups are Salvardoran (majority mestizo) and Mexican (majority mestizo), not many speak indigenous languages.

Regardless, I still predict a NH white majority in DC in the near future.

Old 01-06-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
"most will check white".

But again- this is no longer true^ only 20% did in 2020.

There's also the aspect that anyone with a pulse knows you are better off as white than black or mixed race.. so on top of cultural differences where they're from there is/was more impetus to identify as white..just to be careful.

White people in DC love i and I dont think theres many push factors at all. I suspect the population to continue to grow but not as dramatically as it has up to this point.
I said "if they do check a Race box." As you indicate, many now will not select a race, and will just select their Hispanic ethnicity, in which case they will be classified as just "Hispanic" without a race.

My point was, if they do decide to check a race, it's usually White.

Old 01-06-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I was referring to Hispanic America in general. Check the censuses of these nations, most of the populace identify as white. Whether Americans *perceive* them as white is open to debate.

DC's Hispanic are mostly mestizo, the biggest groups are Salvardoran (majority mestizo) and Mexican (majority mestizo), not many speak indigenous languages.

Regardless, I still predict a NH white majority in DC in the near future.
I was referring to the concept of race in general. If someone looks like George Lopez, which the majority of Hispanics in the US do, it's misleading to say the majority of Hispanics are White, regardless of what the Census numbers are showing. I do not and will not consider them "White."

Old 01-06-2023, 02:58 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,992,607 times
Quote:
I was referring to the concept of race in general. If someone looks like George Lopez, which the majority of Hispanics in the US do, it's misleading to say the majority of Hispanics are White, regardless of what the Census numbers are showing. I do not and will not consider them "White."
George Lopez revealed his DNA on his old show and IINM his predominant race was white/European at around 55%. Jessica Alba was 87% white and was more "white" than Larry David.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City