Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Place to live: Washington DC Proper N of Anacostia River or West Los Angeles (W of Korea Town betwee
Washington DC Proper N of Anacostia River 16 34.78%
West Los Angeles (W of Korea Town between the 10 & the 101) 30 65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 03:07 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
George Lopez revealed his DNA on his old show and IINM his predominant race was white/European at around 55%. Jessica Alba was 87% white and was more "white" than Larry David.
Yeah, and I guess that is probably why many check "white" if they do decide to check a race box. I guess that also goes back to the "race is a social construct" thought, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 03:08 PM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I said "if they do check a Race box." As you indicate, many now will not select a race, and will just select their Hispanic ethnicity, in which case they will be classified as just "Hispanic" without a race.

My point was, if they do decide to check a race, it's usually White.
Again this is not true. They mostly select “some other race” or two or mor races. It’s right there for you.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
George Lopez revealed his DNA on his old show and IINM his predominant race was white/European at around 55%. Jessica Alba was 87% white and was more "white" than Larry David.
George Lopez was also like 30% black.

In the US 55% white has never been considered white. People who are 30% blacks have been considered black though.

Jessica Alba as a white Hispanic is *a lot* more reasonable. Even at 87-% white though we can see or maybe just sense she’s not purely white. Because white is the dominant race in the US we are all highly adept at identifying whiteness she’s most Hispanics don’t “cut it” so to speak..

Old 01-06-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Again this is not true. They mostly select “some other race” or two or mor races. It’s right there for you.
We're talking in circles. "Some other race" or "two or more races" is not a specific race. I'm not saying you are incorrect. What I'm trying to say is if they are forced to choose between White, Black, Asian, or American Indian/Alaska Native.....traditionally many would select White.

Now I am sure there are probably other options like "Other" or "Two or more races" that are provided, and you are probably correct that they will mostly select these.

In knowing a good number of Hispanics, I have heard from them that in cases where only the standard race categories were provided (and "other" or "two or more" are not options), many would default to choosing White. That's what I meant.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
We're talking in circles. "Some other race" or "two or more races" is not a specific race. I'm not saying you are incorrect. What I'm trying to say is if they are forced to choose between White, Black, Asian, or American Indian/Alaska Native.....traditionally many would select White.

Now I am sure there are probably other options like "Other" or "Two or more races" that are provided, and you are probably correct that they will mostly select these.

In knowing a good number of Hispanics, I have heard from them that in cases where only the standard race categories were provided (and "other" or "two or more" are not options), many would default to choosing White. That's what I meant.
I’m just saying checking those boxes isnt not checking a box though. If anything it shows a lot of Hispanic would rather identify as an anonymous category than identify as white if given the chance to.

I know many Hispanics, most of my neighborhood now and my childhood neighborhood is Hispanic (it wasn’t always). The only ones I know identifying as white was a wealthy white looking Puerto Rican from Puerto Rico at Boston College. Most Hispanic I know on a friendly and personal level are Dominican and identify as black or mixed race.

But yea someone like Emilio Estevez or Cameron Diaz- definitely white. Just in the IS they’re a definite minority of the Hispanics.

Old 01-06-2023, 04:57 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzimme View Post
West Los Angeles or Washington DC as place to live:

LA: Koreatown to the ocean; between the 101 and the 10
Washington DC proper: North of the Anacostia River including Crystal City, VA

Note: Kindly asking that homelessness not be used as a criteria as this can too strongly influence people.

Criteria in priority order:
1. Culture Los Angeles
2. Diversity of Population Los Angeles
3. Museum Diversity/Numbers DC
4. Educated Populace DC
5. Dining Diversity Los Angeles
6. Cost of Living Tie
7. Diversity of Recreational Options Los Angeles
8. Weather Los Angeles
Answers in bold. Easy win for LA.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:06 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Yeah, the breakdown is pretty much:

Los Angeles
White = 28%
Black = 9%
Hispanic = 48%
Asian = 12%

Washington, DC
White = 37%
Black = 46%
Hispanic = 12%
Asian = 5%

LA is more Asian and Hispanic. DC is more Black and White. So overall, the gap in diversity isn't that huge.
WOTR is 33.9% Black, 50% Non-Hispanic White, 13.2% Hispanic and less than 3% Asian. Not sure what the demographics are for the West side of LA.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:15 PM

1,056 posts, read 578,723 times
Quote:
I’m just saying checking those boxes isnt not checking a box though. If anything it shows a lot of Hispanic would rather identify as an anonymous category than identify as white if given the chance to.

I know many Hispanics, most of my neighborhood now and my childhood neighborhood is Hispanic (it wasn’t always). The only ones I know identifying as white was a wealthy white looking Puerto Rican from Puerto Rico at Boston College. Most Hispanic I know on a friendly and personal level are Dominican and identify as black or mixed race.

But yea someone like Emilio Estevez or Cameron Diaz- definitely white. Just in the IS they’re a definite minority of the Hispanics.
You probably already know that:

Martin Sheen (Emilio Estevez’s Dad) is half Irish, half Spanish.

Cameron Diaz: favors her Mother’s side of German & English. Diaz could pass as the sister of English actress Joely Richardson. I’ve seen her older sister, who definitely looks more Cuban than her.

Jessica Alba: Mother’s side is completely Caucasien: (Danish, Welsh, English, German and French.)

I’ve known friends who self-identified as “White Latina” (Cuban), but they honestly don’t look very “White” to the outsiders.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Yeah, it kind of depends on region too. In the NE, there are lots of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, some who are undeniably black and also many mixed race-mulatto rather than mestizo.

Here in Chicago we have a sizable Puerto Rican population too even though the majority of Hispanics are Mexican. So I also know a good number of Hispanics here who definitely have some black ancestry, which again can cloud how they identify in terms of race.

Emilio Estevez is a rare case. As another poster pointed out, his father (Martin Sheen, originally Martin Estevez) had an Irish mother and a Spaniard father (from Spain/Europe). Emilio Estevez' mother is White, which is why Emilio, despite his Spanish name is of 100% White/European decent from his parents (Spain, Irish, American). Of course going back into his genealogy, he likely will have other ancestry from his Spaniard roots, but he is White.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:47 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,427,004 times
Quote:
I was referring to the concept of race in general. If someone looks like George Lopez, which the majority of Hispanics in the US do, it's misleading to say the majority of Hispanics are White, regardless of what the Census numbers are showing. I do not and will not consider them "White."
I'd heavily disagree that the majority of Hispanics in the US do not look like George Lopez. But I will concede this point because the politics of what is "white" is way off topic and political.

But i will say white and black Hispanics exist, whether Americans agree or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City