Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More similar to Montreal: Boston or New York City?
New York 13 21.67%
Boston 47 78.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 08:37 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
When people say Boston is boring what they really mean is Boston closes sort of early. Which is easily fixed by simply leaving your house earlier.

At least pre pandemic it seemed like the average fast casual place in much smaller cities like Rochester or Buffalo closed at 2-4am. While in huge swaths of Boston it’s pretty hard to get a hot meal past 10:30 (especially if it’s not Chinese) unless you know where to look. The Grocery stores were open 24/7 etc. in Buffalo last call is 4am.

“Boston is boring” honestly comes from people who fail to adapt.
Boston is one of the most highly-educated cities in the US if not the world.

Highly-educated places aren't typically "party places". Blue collar people tend to party more than nerds.

Boston has a huge student population and while they do party - again, Boston students are probably more serious about their studies on average than students in many other places.

Montreal has a much larger share of its population that is blue collar. It's not really a redneck blue collar population and is reasonably urbane as far as those classes of people go - not sure if that makes sense?

And one thing is that due to the unique nature of Quebec's society and economy the blue collar population in Montreal is quite affluent. They do have money to spend in restaurants, bars and on other fun stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 08:47 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
As we’ve gone back and fourth on a number of times, what you said upthread isn’t a Boston phenomena. It’s a biproduct of segregation, which I’d agree, is a larger problem in Boston -both ideologically and in practice- than it is in many other cities.

That said, I completely agree with you here. Boston is a blast, and what I like to do in and around the city can’t be easily found on a “Top 10 Things To Do in Boston” list.

And our two ideas of a good time probably aren’t even that aligned.. I like going to small venues in Camberville and Allston/Brighton, brewery hopping, going for rides on the Charles, doing nights out in Southie Seaport, going to the beach, window shopping on Newbury, trying new restaurants in South End, going out in a boat on Boston harbor (a few friends give me this luxury). But there are hundreds of different versions of a good time that Boston can fulfill.

I think Bostons lack of variety and depth in terms of nightlife, has somehow given people the impression it’s not a fun or exciting or eclectic place to visit and have fun. It’s an awesome city. When I lived there, I never once had visitors come and say anything other than “I love this city”. It’s a lot more than Back Bay, a few museums, and Coastal New England “high culture”.
Yea everyone Ive brought there ha been like this place is beautiful, I want to move here, i had hella fun.- Wow.

Even when I would go out to Good Life Bar for nightlife- its a super packed, loud 2-story club where you can really dance. Even if it's small and more of a bar set up. They're is not a ton of nightlife but there are definitely good spots to go too. That's just one (very small) part of a city's offering.

I do all of the bolded too. But I also am at community cookouts, basketball games, and dance halls at Unity Sports Club in Dorchester. Its endless. I'm also going to South Shore Plaza and Middle East and I used to go to Harvard Square to go to the Garage and El Jefes. The Garage was a nice club In Allston too- closed recently.

I've gone to an AfroBeats party cruisein the harbor, I always window shop on Newbury, and I hikein the Blue Hills. I'm at Icon on Friday night, I'm at SideBar in Downtown Crossing and the headshop across the street, I'm at AMC theatres, smoking Hookah in Allston, eating Colombian food in Everett in Ferry Square, and at Jazz concerts near the Tobin in Mission Hill. There's a wide variety of things to do if you just do them and get off TikTok lol. When I was a kid I went sailing on the Charles for $1 per summer, I've done the Duck Boats. I recently went to the Museum of Science too. I even hung out in Coolidge Corner, and Fenway in High School. Once or twice my friends and I went out to eat at CPK at the Prudential Center.

I just never go to Seaport or Somerville. I wish they'd bring back MFA Late Nites consistently, there hasnt been one since October. I've never had a chance to go, but it was roe consistent prior to the pandemic. I guess this is the good for european art and wine part?

Hip-hop and ‘Ancient Nubia Now’: Your guide to MFA Late Nites
The after hours event returns on Friday at 8 p.m.

This Friday’s edition, which opens at 8 p.m., will feature dancers, DJs, and live music in “HipStory Presents: A HipStoric Night at the MFA.” The program honors the roots of hip-hop and features Boston Music Awards nominees Lightfoot, DJ Why Sham, and Cliff Notez, as well as Loman, Abstract Minor, DJ TROY Frost, and a host of other DJs whose beats will rock the museum into the early morning. Need more to make it a party? The evening will feature dancers from StiggityStackz, Chad Shabazz, Yyoyo, and Aboogz.

“We’re showcasing some of the city’s dopest artists honoring the roots of hip-hop,” said Kristen Hoskins, the museum’s head and curator of public programs.

Black AF at the MFA had lines literally out the door and down the block...

Idk what people do with their time in Boston- Im usually out all day then come home and crash.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Boston is one of the most highly-educated cities in the US if not the world.

Highly-educated places aren't typically "party places". Blue collar people tend to party more than nerds.

Boston has a huge student population and while they do party - again, Boston students are probably more serious about their studies on average than students in many other places.

Montreal has a much larger share of its population that is blue collar. It's not really a redneck blue collar population and is reasonably urbane as far as those classes of people go - not sure if that makes sense?

And one thing is that due to the unique nature of Quebec's society and economy the blue collar population in Montreal is quite affluent. They do have money to spend in restaurants, bars and on other fun stuff.
Washington DC is even more well-educated than Boston though... as is San Francisco- I don't hear the same sentiment.

Is Montreal actually more blue-collar though- how would we measure that?

And arent there like 350,000 college students in Montreal?

Old 01-12-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Washington DC is even more well-educated than Boston though... as is San Francisco- I don't hear the same sentiment.

Is Montreal actually more blue-collar though- how would we measure that?

And arent there like 350,000 college students in Montreal?
Yes, Montreal is significantly more blue collar than Boston. Montreal is more blue collar than the other Canadian big cities Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.

Higher education is really cheap in Quebec so students come from a greater cross-section of socio-economic strata, and... variable seriousness about studies as a result.

As I sort of alluded to above, Montreal might still feel fairly "genteel" to visitors primarily because a large chunk of its blue collar and working class population is reasonably classy and worldly. (Perhaps in a bit of a European way, if you've ever travelled over there.)

Old 01-12-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
When people say Boston is boring what they really mean is Boston closes sort of early. Which is easily fixed by simply leaving your house earlier.

At least pre pandemic it seemed like the average fast casual place in much smaller cities like Rochester or Buffalo closed at 2-4am. While in huge swaths of Boston it’s pretty hard to get a hot meal past 10:30 (especially if it’s not Chinese) unless you know where to look. The Grocery stores were open 24/7 etc. in Buffalo last call is 4am.

“Boston is boring” honestly comes from people who fail to adapt.
I guess but like. I've often been out in Boston past 3 am.

Its sort of difficult to find food- but I know where to go-

Alexs in South End is open till 330 am
Moon Villa in Chinatown is like 4 am
New York Pizza is 3am
Regal Donuts, Simcos in Dorcester/Mattapn both of them are like 4 am... Regal Donuts &Pizza actually ONLY open late night 930pm-6am
Bova's Bakery is 24/7 Encore is 4 a
McDonalds,
South Street Diner
El Jefe in Cambridge is 4 am.
Some new spot downtown is now 3 am.
Hen House on Mass Ave used to be open to 4 am serving Chicken and Waffles but the pandemic killed it.

Or you just don't eat and go home. But it also helps to have a friend who can stay up later with you. I personally dont expect world class dining at 3 am so these options are more than enough for me. Bars close at 2am just like most other places.... which also isnt a city wide or state law. Its just common practice- found that out when speaking with Segun Idowu a cabinet chief for the city.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Never heard of these places being big party cities.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:06 AM

Montreal is now experimenting with 24-hour alcohol sales in a pilot project BTW.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Yes, Montreal is significantly more blue collar than Boston. Montreal is more blue collar than the other Canadian big cities Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.

Higher education is really cheap in Quebec so students come from a greater cross-section of socio-economic strata, and... variable seriousness about studies as a result.

As I sort of alluded to above, Montreal might still feel fairly "genteel" to visitors primarily because a large chunk of its blue collar and working class population is reasonably classy and worldly. (Perhaps in a bit of a European way, if you've ever travelled over there.)
But actual proof or data though. How are you measuring that? Occupation, Income or Education? Is there a difference between the city and the suburbs? Is it a bleu collar aesthetic and vibe or is the city actually more blue collar. Plenty of people in Boston go to community colleges and small private colleges that don't graduate kids. Is Montreal blue collar or is it just more affordable? Asking because I have never been. From what I gather more people in Montreal have been college/university educated than in Boston...

Mount Ida, Pine Manor, Lasell, MassBay, Eastern Nazarene, Cambridge College, Bunker Hill, Roxbury Community College, Urban College of Boston etc etc.. not trying to be diffuclt but how would you really measure that?

I do think its valid in saying that blue-collar people in MTL probably have more disposable income than a BS grad or Lynn English Grad who did 1 semester or two at Fisher College...But does that make a place less blue collar. Tons of bleu collar police and construction guy, union guys in Boston- but I think theyre more apt to stay in their suburban town or go to Vincents in Randolph than go to Downtown Boston which defintiely does have a swankier feel.

Ive been to Madrid in Europe for a 17 hour layover- that's it. I wouldn't describe it as blue-collar so much as I would "accessible". Like it didn't strike me as gritty but it did feel a little 'underpoliced' and economically diverse. But this was during the day time..

Old 01-12-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Never heard of these places being big party cities.
If you let them tell it.

DC had (especially in the past) a pretty big club scene and some 24 hours eating spots. Some posters here say SF has good clubs but Ive heard that less than in DC.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:28 AM

Is Montreal actually more blue collar or is it actually a better-educated populace with more disposable income and affordability that is fashionable and enjoys a blue-collar aesthetic and has a more permissive alcohol and nightlife culture?

What is the truth and where is the data behind that.

Last edited by JMT; 01-12-2023 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City