Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More similar to Montreal: Boston or New York City?
New York 13 21.67%
Boston 47 78.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 08:37 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Why do you have to turn the knife like that
On the hockey front, the Rangers Habs and Bs are all top 5 as far as NHL valuations are concerned, alongside the Leafs and Blackhawks.

That said, hockey is in the fabric of Montreal and Greater Boston far more than in NYC when you consider youth participation, high school, private schools, and higher education/minor league. Upstate New York would be a better comp as far as NY state is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 09:43 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Which Boston bagel joints have you tried?
I am sure one can find great bagels in Boston, but it's a fact that the only two city people would consider "renowned" for bagels are New York and Montréal.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
On the hockey front, the Rangers Habs and Bs are all top 5 as far as NHL valuations are concerned, alongside the Leafs and Blackhawks.

That said, hockey is in the fabric of Montreal and Greater Boston far more than in NYC when you consider youth participation, high school, private schools, and higher education/minor league. Upstate New York would be a better comp as far as NY state is concerned.
Boston-Montréal is the hockey rivalry of all rivalries.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Without checking, I’d guess both NYC and Boston have a much larger Jewish and Italian presence than Montreal. Certainly as a percentage, in the case of Boston.

This isn’t a comparison I’d make between Montreal and NYC, but I don’t know enough.
You may indeed by right, but I was talking about family ties. Never heard of deep family ties in ethnic communities between Boston and Montreal. You hear about it all the time between Montréal and NYC. COVID-19 actually spread like wildfire in Montréal due to the fact that large numbers of the city's Jewish community were in NYC visiting family in March 2020. The outbreaks were worst in the areas of the city with large Jewish populations.

I would assume that NYC-Boston would still be bigger than NYC-Montréal in this respect, but there are a lot of ties when you consider there is a border between the two cities.

One reason is that a number of Montrealers (especially of Italian or Jewish origins) who had ancestors who actually came to America via Ellis Island and NYC, and made their way up to Montréal via the already well-established land or water (Hudson-Champlain) routes.

Old 01-15-2023, 10:57 AM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
I don’t think anything can overcome the fact New York’s a megacity and Boston and Montreal are not.

Like I’d imagine you see ethnic ties between Montreal and New York because New York is 5x bigger but I’d be supervised if the person capita numbers are very far off

Old 01-15-2023, 11:12 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,093,152 times
Montreal's a straight shot up the Thruway, 6 hours from NYC.

Old 01-15-2023, 11:14 AM

6,818 posts, read 6,062,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am sure one can find great bagels in Boston, but it's a fact that the only two city people would consider "renowned" for bagels are New York and Montréal.
True true. But “purgatory” is a really hot take. Great bagels may not be as prevalent in Boston, but I’ve had few bagels as good as the ones I get from Bagelsaurus.

Old 01-15-2023, 12:32 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,572,537 times
New England as a whole has a large number of people descended from French-Canadians that left Quebec in the late 1800's and early 1900's to work in the mills across its six states. Most of these were from the more rural parts of the province. They left the hard life of farming in a short season climate for better more reliable economic prospects.

Old 01-15-2023, 02:10 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
True true. But “purgatory” is a really hot take. Great bagels may not be as prevalent in Boston, but I’ve had few bagels as good as the ones I get from Bagelsaurus.
Interestingly enough, Boston is really more of a donut town. Though I never saw it that way.

I just saw an article about the prevalence of donuts in various cities in the US, and Boston has more donut shops per Capita than any other major city, bested only by a handful of cities in general including Worecester and Providence. And it’s not simply because of Dunkin’.

Old 01-15-2023, 02:26 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I don’t think anything can overcome the fact New York’s a megacity and Boston and Montreal are not.

Like I’d imagine you see ethnic ties between Montreal and New York because New York is 5x bigger but I’d be supervised if the person capita numbers are very far off
Yeah but that makes the conversation really boring and essentially kills the thread when it all sums up to numbers with no room for nuances. I'm actually picking on NYC-Montreal connections here in the thread that I find interesting. Is Brooklyn a lot bigger in size and scale over Montreal? Of course it is. But when I'm walking in a row house neighborhoods in Montreal, I get more Brooklyn and Queens aesthetics and vibes than I ever would Boston - https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5255...7i16384!8i8192
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City