Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 12:26 PM

3,581 posts, read 3,084,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Selling at list price seems sort of fine, doesn't it? Does Pittsburgh have a high rate of vacant homes?
For me the key is how long homes stay on the market in Pittsburgh (63 days, the longest among cities), which implies that there is an oversupply of available homes. The average Pittsburgh home is also selling below list price, which also implies either an oversupply, or being overpriced. Charlotte and Cleveland homes also stay on the market for a high number of days.

In 2020, Pittsburgh had a vacancy rate of 11.4%, higher than the national average of 9.7%, and much higher than Charlotte (6.4%) and the central midwest cities. Pittsburgh vacancy was about average of the range for Rust Belt cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 02:29 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
For me the key is how long homes stay on the market in Pittsburgh (63 days, the longest among cities), which implies that there is an oversupply of available homes. The average Pittsburgh home is also selling below list price, which also implies either an oversupply, or being overpriced.
Not necessarily true if the pool of inventory is heavily skewed towards fixer-uppers, homes in bad locations, or a general "mismatch" between inventory and the types of homes buyers want or need.

Homes selling for below list prices is now very much the norm across the US, given interest rates that are still on the climb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
In 2020, Pittsburgh had a vacancy rate of 11.4%, higher than the national average of 9.7%, and much higher than Charlotte (6.4%) and the central midwest cities. Pittsburgh vacancy was about average of the range for Rust Belt cities.
I'd surmise that a higher share "Rust Belt" city housing is in more dire need of major repairs/renovation, which is a major driver of vacancy. Nevertheless, these kind of properties can inflate vacancy rates and don't necessarily reflect demand for non-substandard housing.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:40 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,535,814 times
With so many apartments being constructed in these cities, one would believe as needs change, people will eventually need a house later on. My daughter and her husband now are house shopping after living in an apartment for a number of years.
She has at least three friends in similar situations. Out with apartments, in with a house. Charlotte had been building apartments all over the metro like crazy. One has to drive into the neighborhoods to see that there is in fact, a major housing boom occurring as well.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:52 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,928,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The things interest rates will do to stabilize a market….

If someone can afford a $2800 p/month mortgage as a buyer, interest rates now cut into their principal (and PMI for many new buyers) by $500 more than they did 12 months ago.

Buyers will find a way to purchase a house, and it’s clear they’ll find a metro that can accommodate.

I’d assume the rust belt metros are seeing a more regional influx of buyers, while cities like Charlotte pull from up and down the east coast and Midwest. But the principal is the same.

Nashville, to me, is proving its staying power like Austin did last decade. Despite growing COL, it’s a place people want to be.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:35 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Awesome. rooting for all 3!

Old 01-15-2023, 09:46 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I’d assume the rust belt metros are seeing a more regional influx of buyers, while cities like Charlotte pull from up and down the east coast and Midwest. But the principal is the same.
What's interesting is that, at least as far as Redfin searches are concerned, Pittsburgh, as an example, has drawn more interest from Los Angeles and San Francisco than Philadelphia. DC and NYC are its top markets for outside interest: https://www.redfin.com/city/15702/PA...rket#migration

Cleveland, too, has a healthy amount of out-of-region interest: https://www.redfin.com/city/4145/OH/...rket#migration

The intensity (i.e., number of searches) of interest from high-cost Northeast Corridor or West Coast markets focused on either Pittsburgh or Cleveland honestly aren't that dissimilar to Charlotte, which probably isn't what many would presume on this forum:

https://www.redfin.com/city/3105/NC/...rket#migration

Old 01-15-2023, 09:49 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
What's interesting is that, at least as far as Redfin searches are concerned, Pittsburgh, as an example, has drawn more interest from Los Angeles and San Francisco than Philadelphia. DC and NYC are it's top markets of outside interest: https://www.redfin.com/city/15702/PA...rket#migration

Cleveland, too, has a healthy amount of out-of-region interest: https://www.redfin.com/city/4145/OH/...rket#migration

The intensity (i.e., number of searches) of interest from high-cost Northeast Corridor or West Coast markets focused on either Pittsburgh or Cleveland honestly aren't that dissimilar to Charlotte, which probably isn't what many would presume on this forum:

https://www.redfin.com/city/3105/NC/...rket#migration
Pure speculation, but maybe people from larger coastal cities are looking for smaller markets?

Old 01-15-2023, 03:43 PM

817 posts, read 629,947 times
Pittsburgh already has the same COL as Philadelphia without any of the great things of Philadelphia lol. When I first saw Anthony Bourdain hyping up Pittsburgh back in the 2010s I knew the city would become popular, not surprised the housing market there is expected to heat up

Old 01-15-2023, 04:35 PM

783 posts, read 696,473 times
Pittsburgh seems to be the biggest diamond in the ruff city in the country.

Cleveland has a lot of good bones and is probably underrated for its price tag.

For Charlotte, this is just a normal Tuesday since everyone has been moving down to that region.

I'm surprised that Raleigh isn't on the list.

Old 01-16-2023, 09:29 AM

4,406 posts, read 4,300,828 times
Does this mean there's an increase in people moving to Cleveland and Pittsburgh? Or are most of them buying locally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City