Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose to raise a family?
Keene, NH 2 16.67%
Brattleboro, VT 1 8.33%
Greenfield/Montague, MA 0 0%
Northampton/Amherst, MA 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 06:48 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

I would have to go with Northampton and Amherst in this. All are beautiful areas but Northampton/Amherst probably has better job opportunities and better public education for kids than the others.

Keene is a charming town but property taxes are high with fewer services than others. A close family member just left that area with his fiancé because they realized the public schools weren’t that good, job opportunities were limited and it’s smaller/more rural than they liked. They came to greater Hartford, Connecticut. It is a wonderful small city with great suburbs, excellent schools and great job opportunities. You might want to consider it.

Brattleboro is nice but jobs are limited. While charming, it’s town center isn’t as nice as the others. Greenfield is also nice but not nearly as nice as Northampton. Northampton offers the most. It has a vibrant downtown and is close to a lot of great colleges. It’s also closer to major employment centers. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 06:50 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Just curious, but is Glens Falls/Saratoga Springs/Ballston Spa off the table? I’m just asking due to a previously similar thread.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:40 AM

1,044 posts, read 684,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but is Glens Falls/Saratoga Springs/Ballston Spa off the table? I’m just asking due to a previously similar thread.
Nothing is really off the table.

I live overseas and I get homesick from time to time, so I look up places that aren't too far from my hometown that I liked visiting in the past and imagine bringing my family to live in one of those places one day in the near future.

My wife is terrified about moving to the US, but i tell her that by living in most New England States or NY, most of her fears will not be realized.

Most of my city vs city threads are little dreams I have that may not come to fruition. But when the opportunity arises, I'd like to have enough information to make a decision.

Old 01-25-2023, 12:49 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Nothing is really off the table.

I live overseas and I get homesick from time to time, so I look up places that aren't too far from my hometown that I liked visiting in the past and imagine bringing my family to live in one of those places one day in the near future.

My wife is terrified about moving to the US, but i tell her that by living in most New England States or NY, most of her fears will not be realized.

Most of my city vs city threads are little dreams I have that may not come to fruition. But when the opportunity arises, I'd like to have enough information to make a decision.
What are her fears? The US is among the best places to live in the world and New England is the best part of the country IMHO. People are very accepting here as long as you are respectful of them. New Englanders are highly educated with many of the very top colleges and universities in the country, if not the world. The quality of healthcare in the region is outstanding. There’s tons of work opportunities and the cost of living outside Boston metro, the immediate coastline and southwestern Connecticut is surprisingly affordable. The region is very beautiful and charming with tons of things to see and do. It’s truly a great place to live. Jay

Old 01-25-2023, 05:50 PM

1,044 posts, read 684,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What are her fears? The US is among the best places to live in the world and New England is the best part of the country IMHO. People are very accepting here as long as you are respectful of them. New Englanders are highly educated with many of the very top colleges and universities in the country, if not the world. The quality of healthcare in the region is outstanding. There’s tons of work opportunities and the cost of living outside Boston metro, the immediate coastline and southwestern Connecticut is surprisingly affordable. The region is very beautiful and charming with tons of things to see and do. It’s truly a great place to live. Jay
I don't want to derail the thread too much, nor do I want to start a thread with this topic because it'll turn into a **** show, so I'll respond to you privately sometime today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City