Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which combo of cities are better
Charlotte + Nashville + Tampa 28 43.08%
Las Vegas + Phoenix + San Diego 37 56.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 06:22 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
I wasnt just referring to economy but transportation, amenities, fortune 500s, etc..Charlotte and Nashville are major cities. I actually like Phoenix, however it leaves some things to be desired for its size. No slight all.
Fortune 500s is literally the economy. You couldn’t even name two things other than that and came back to economy again.

Outside of more job options in my particular line of work I can get everything I want out of Phoenix I can for Atlanta a major US city. Atlanta is better at certain things no doubt in my mind but, the amenities are the SAME. The difference is the quality of those amenities. Atlanta and Phoenix are also pretty close in size but because Atlanta is bigger, some things are better.

Meanwhile when you compare Phoenix to cities half its size like Charlotte and Nashville for example there are things Phoenix has that these cities do not have. Getting to about half a size or more means there’s going to be things that just aren’t even offered. Almost like it has a bigger consumer base or something. Better airports, more sport teams, large high end shopping malls, nightclubs, video game bars, more urban parks, better chance for federal funding on projects, etc. these things all matter and they are not the same at a metro in the 5 million range as they are for a city in the 2.5-3 million range like Tampa or Denver. They certainly matter more than how many project managers and business analysts a city has.

Just like when you look at cities twice Phoenix’s size, like LA and NYC, these cities offer things that Phoenix simply cannot offer. The market potential just isn’t there to support them. It’s a numbers game and all these other cities simply do not match up to Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 06:35 PM

719 posts, read 492,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Fortune 500s is literally the economy. You couldn’t even name two things other than that and came back to economy again.

Outside of more job options in my particular line of work I can get everything I want out of Phoenix I can for Atlanta a major US city. Atlanta is better at certain things no doubt in my mind but, the amenities are the SAME. The difference is the quality of those amenities. Atlanta and Phoenix are also pretty close in size but because Atlanta is bigger, some things are better.

Meanwhile when you compare Phoenix to cities half its size like Charlotte and Nashville for example there are things Phoenix has that these cities do not have. Getting to about half a size or more means there’s going to be things that just aren’t even offered. Almost like it has a bigger consumer base or something. Better airports, more sport teams, large high end shopping malls, nightclubs, video game bars, more urban parks, better chance for federal funding on projects, etc. these things all matter and they are not the same at a metro in the 5 million range as they are for a city in the 2.5-3 million range like Tampa or Denver. They certainly matter more than how many project managers and business analysts a city has.

Just like when you look at cities twice Phoenix’s size, like LA and NYC, these cities offer things that Phoenix simply cannot offer. The market potential just isn’t there to support them. It’s a numbers game and all these other cities simply do not match up to Phoenix.
My man u are making this a personal attack and it's not. You literally said a couple of things that both Charlotte and Nashville either match or outdo Phoenix on. Charlotte has the world's 6th busiest airport and Phoenix doesn't match Charlotte light rail or tod that comes with it. You do realize that Charlotte is home to the ACC and Ciaaa and host the ACC football championship and other major events such as the NBA Allstars game etc... Nashville is right up there with Phoenix when it comes to tourism and its music industry is untouched. It's nothing personal at all. It's the truth. I really don't want to derail this thread so let's just agree to disagree...no worries

Old 01-30-2023, 06:49 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,470 times
Quote:
My man u are making this a personal attack and it's not. You literally said a couple of things that both Charlotte and Nashville either match or outdo Phoenix on. Charlotte has the world's 6th busiest airport and Phoenix doesn't match Charlotte light rail or tod that comes with it. You do realize that Charlotte is home to the ACC and Ciaaa and host the ACC football championship and other major events such as the NBA Allstars game etc... Nashville is right up there with Phoenix when it comes to tourism and its music industry is untouched. It's nothing personal at all. It's the truth. I really don't want to derail this thread so let's just agree to disagree...no worries
I can’t think of anything Nashville outdoes Phoenix on.

Phoenix Valley Metro Rail has at least five expansions scheduled. Nashville doesn’t even have light rail.

Phoenix has all 4 pro sports. Nashville only has 2 (as does Charlotte).

Phoenix Sky Harbor is a major hub airport. Nashville gets less passengers than Salt Lake City on any given year.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:02 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
I wasnt just referring to economy but transportation, amenities, fortune 500s, etc..Charlotte and Nashville are major cities. I actually like Phoenix, however it leaves some things to be desired for its size. No slight all.
Phoenix transit beats both handily, GDP much larger (on par w/ MSP and Detroit).

Nashville's GDP is less than Indy, and its bus ridership is less than Lansing, Michigan.

There is certainly a case to compare Charlotte per capita, but Nashville just has no business being compared to Phoenix.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:17 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
This is metro vs metro, right?

Because St. Pete vs San Diego is an interesting match up. Not so much Tampa.
I can see the similarities between St-Pete and San Diego. Both similar in built form.

Tampa itself is an odd ball.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:25 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
Quote:
Charlotte Lynx is 19 miles long with 26 stations and 17,000 daily riders according to figures that it reported to APTA for Q3 2022.

Phoenix Metro is 28 miles long and has 38 stations and over 26,000 daily riders for the same period.

They seem similar to me and if anything Phoenix is ahead. I've ridden trains and buses in Phoenix and thought that it was pretty decent.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:14 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,867 times
Great comparison. I haven’t been to Phoenix or San Diego, so I can’t really compare. I think they are equals overall. Red and Blue have their pluses and minuses. I may comment later on in the thread.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Charlotte Lynx is 19 miles long with 26 stations and 17,000 daily riders according to figures that it reported to APTA for Q3 2022.

Phoenix Metro is 28 miles long and has 38 stations and over 26,000 daily riders for the same period.

They seem similar to me and if anything Phoenix is ahead. I've ridden trains and buses in Phoenix and thought that it was pretty decent.
I was more so describing the tod development and the link between cores.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Phoenix transit beats both handily, GDP much larger (on par w/ MSP and Detroit).

Nashville's GDP is less than Indy, and its bus ridership is less than Lansing, Michigan.

There is certainly a case to compare Charlotte per capita, but Nashville just has no business being compared to Phoenix.
No it doesn't beat Charlotte handedly in transit. Nashville is better in tourism. My point was that just because a city is larger does not mean smaller cities can't compete or do better in certain areas. Also as well Charlotte has 3 major league sports teams, not two. But we can all agree to disagree.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:02 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
No it doesn't beat Charlotte handedly in transit. Nashville is better in tourism. My point was that just because a city is larger does not mean smaller cities can't compete or do better in certain areas. Also as well Charlotte has 3 major league sports teams, not two. But we can all agree to disagree.
For being a tourism hub, Nashville sure doesn't have a very busy airport (less so than Portland, a little busier than Dallas Love Field).

There just aren't many quantifiable metrics that identify Nashville as a major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City