Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 06:30 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Leading Cities Star* Ratings
5.0 Chicago
4.9 Pacific Palisades, California
4.75 Arlington, Virginia
4.6 Palo Alto, California
4.5 Stamford, Connecticut
4.5 Annapolis, Maryland
4.5 Minneapolis
4.5 Fayetteville, Arkansas
4.2 Las Vegas
4.0 Virginia
4.0 Boston
Interesting, thanks for compiling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
5 stars - Montreal has great architecture, a manageable size, fun nightlife, good looking people, excellent mass transit, good cultural diversity, and fabulous food. Le Plateau, Mile End, Little Italy, and the Marche Jean Talon area is my favorite collection of urban neighborhoods in North America. And I'm lucky enough to live a short drive away from it.

Ottawa, Ontario Canada
3.5/5, I've streetviewed it once or twice and it looks like a very average Canadian city. Being right next to Quebec is cool, interesting cultural clash. But it'd be near the bottom of national capitals I feel any urgency to visit.

Scottsbluff, NE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 07:11 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Interesting, thanks for compiling!

You're Welcome

3.5/5, I've streetviewed it once or twice and it looks like a very average Canadian city. Being right next to Quebec is cool, interesting cultural clash. But it'd be near the bottom of national capitals I feel any urgency to visit.

Scottsbluff, NE
I've streetviewed Scottsbluff lol, That Scenery!! Spectacular Scenery with the River and Bluffs, A Hidden Gem But, the city is small obscure and somewhat isolated. The Most I can give it is 2.9 Stars largely off the Scenery

Vancouver British Columbia

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 03-20-2023 at 07:35 PM..

Old 03-20-2023, 07:22 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I've streetviewed Scottsbluff lol, That Scenery!! Spectacular Scenery with the River and Bluffs, A Hidden Gem But, the city is small obscure and somewhat isolated. The Most I can give it is 2.9 Stars largely off the Scenery

Vancouver British Columbia
4.2/5

Ok, so Vancouver is great on paper. It’s a walkable, global city with scenic views. That’s 5/5, but I thought some of the city was actually a little shady. I just didn’t love it there like I expected and drove away happy to head back to Seattle. It’s not bad, but as you might infer I do prefer Seattle to Vancouver which seems to be an uncommon view.

Bellevue, WA

Old 03-20-2023, 08:23 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
4.2/5

Ok, so Vancouver is great on paper. It’s a walkable, global city with scenic views. That’s 5/5, but I thought some of the city was actually a little shady. I just didn’t love it there like I expected and drove away happy to head back to Seattle. It’s not bad, but as you might infer I do prefer Seattle to Vancouver which seems to be an uncommon view.

Bellevue, WA
4/5

When I visited my brother in Woodinville in 2006, we drove to his home from SeaTac up I-405. The absence of the Space Needle was the main thing that tipped me off that the downtown we were driving through was not that of Seattle itself.

Okay, I exaggerate. But Bellevue has an unusually highly developed downtown for a suburb, and this very urban downtown has been grafted onto its old small-town Main Street. It does feel a bit sterile once off that Main Street, but it still does walkability very well by just about any metric,.

Columbia, Mo.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:35 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
4/5

When I visited my brother in Woodinville in 2006, we drove to his home from SeaTac up I-405. The absence of the Space Needle was the main thing that tipped me off that the downtown we were driving through was not that of Seattle itself.

Okay, I exaggerate. But Bellevue has an unusually highly developed downtown for a suburb, and this very urban downtown has been grafted onto its old small-town Main Street. It does feel a bit sterile once off that Main Street, but it still does walkability very well by just about any metric,.

Columbia, Mo.
I don't like to contribute to these polls unless I have lived in or visited the subject in length. I can claim Columbia, as I have spent time here previously. As the quintessential college town, it reminds me a lot of Lawrence Kansas. It's main street, East Broadway, captures the essence of a small city center. The area between North Providence Road and North College Ave is where the value is. Lots to do for the college students, and students to be. Once you leave old town, you are able to access shopping options on the level of a larger city. Overall I give this small city a 4.5 out of 5 stars. Affordability is yet another attraction.

Next city, but much less affordable: Sacramento, CA.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:46 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I don't like to contribute to these polls unless I have lived in or visited the subject in length. I can claim Columbia, as I have spent time here previously. As the quintessential college town, it reminds me a lot of Lawrence Kansas. It's main street, East Broadway, captures the essence of a small city center. The area between North Providence Road and North College Ave is where the value is. Lots to do for the college students, and students to be. Once you leave old town, you are able to access shopping options on the level of a larger city. Overall I give this small city a 4.5 out of 5 stars. Affordability is yet another attraction.

Next city, but much less affordable: Sacramento, CA.
3/5

Sacramento is nice. I like that the area is more accessible than other California metros. The area offers nice parks and shopping. Culturally, it is a bit bland and more conservative. Very high crime and homelessness. Unfortunately, these things do not seem of much concern.

Twin Falls, ID

Old 03-21-2023, 02:10 AM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
3/5

Sacramento is nice. I like that the area is more accessible than other California metros. The area offers nice parks and shopping. Culturally, it is a bit bland and more conservative. Very high crime and homelessness. Unfortunately, these things do not seem of much concern.

Twin Falls, ID
2/5. Small town in the middle of nowhere, 2 hours from Boise (which itself is small enough that I'd feel restless to get to a real major city if I lived there). No particular charming architecture, neighborhoods, or history that I'm aware of, besides the nearby Snake River gorge being the site of one of Evel Knievel's famous jumps. I guess if I lived there I'd just do a lot of wilderness camping and take classes at Southern Idaho College.

On a positive note: the town doesn't look poor, so I'm assuming there isn't a huge crime or drug problem. Some areas of town have nice tree cover, useful for escaping those scorching summer days. The cost of living is probably low. And I see a few great small-town diners like the Depot Grill. I'm really hankering for some hashbrowns and toast right now --- unfortunately the only already-prepared food I have in the fridge is some leftover Thai noodles from last night.

Similarly small town in a very different state: Kahului, HI

Old 03-21-2023, 04:04 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
2/5. Small town in the middle of nowhere, 2 hours from Boise (which itself is small enough that I'd feel restless to get to a real major city if I lived there). No particular charming architecture, neighborhoods, or history that I'm aware of, besides the nearby Snake River gorge being the site of one of Evel Knievel's famous jumps. I guess if I lived there I'd just do a lot of wilderness camping and take classes at Southern Idaho College.

On a positive note: the town doesn't look poor, so I'm assuming there isn't a huge crime or drug problem. Some areas of town have nice tree cover, useful for escaping those scorching summer days. The cost of living is probably low. And I see a few great small-town diners like the Depot Grill. I'm really hankering for some hashbrowns and toast right now --- unfortunately the only already-prepared food I have in the fridge is some leftover Thai noodles from last night.

Similarly small town in a very different state: Kahului, HI
3.5 stars

Simply put, Kahului is just a commercial center for Maui. It's where you go for Wal-Mart, Costco, Whole Foods, and OGG Airport. Pick up your rental car and head to nicer parts of the island (Kihei, Wailea, Lahaina, Kaanapali Beach, heavenly road to Hana). Kahului does have some nice botanical gardens, Maui's medical center, the island's port facilities, and the UH Maui campus so it is a busy hub of activity. But if you're looking for a nice downtown on the island to walk around and explore then Lahaina is the town for that, even if it is very touristy.

Anchorage, Alaska

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-21-2023 at 04:27 AM..

Old 03-21-2023, 04:28 AM

856 posts, read 693,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Anchorage, Alaska
3/5

Pros: Very cool nature, cool place to visit, cool shopping, Love the scenery, right on the water.

Cons: Small, very isolated, transit not good, low walkability, cold and dark winters, probably not great to live in.

St. Petersburg FL

Old 03-21-2023, 03:37 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
3/5

Pros: Very cool nature, cool place to visit, cool shopping, Love the scenery, right on the water.

Cons: Small, very isolated, transit not good, low walkability, cold and dark winters, probably not great to live in.

St. Petersburg FL
3 out of 5 stars.

Pros: fast-growing city, decent economy, mild year round weather, mostly nice beaches, ever-growing destination for young professionals, lots of development and growth happening

Cons: year round weather monotonous to some, hurricane risk is there, no mountains closeby--very flat/slightly rolling geography, economy is smallish compared to a Miami or Charlotte or Atlanta, state politics are swiftly moving far far right.

Provincetown, MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City