Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 11:38 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
4/5.

Miami has improved a lot since the 2000s. The city has better infill and street activity. Although I diasgree with where the city is headed, politically, it does offer great jobs and things to do. I think the city has more work to do to join other world class cities.

Jeffersonville, IN
3.5 out of 5.

A great suburban "town" to Louisville, KY. A quaint old downtown and relatively good quality of life for a family looking for suburban living with quaint access to a "small town center" yet accessible to a larger city across the river.

Bristol, Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 02:36 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
3.5 out of 5.

A great suburban "town" to Louisville, KY. A quaint old downtown and relatively good quality of life for a family looking for suburban living with quaint access to a "small town center" yet accessible to a larger city across the river.

Bristol, Tennessee
It's a pretty interesting micropolitan area, with Bristol, TN and Bristol, VA being separated by a long street that runs along the state line. For the size of town it is, the downtown isn't too shabby --- at least two performance spaces, a good number of restaurants, and no visible blight. The town doesn't have the striking scenery some parts of Appalachia do, but the Ridge-and-Valley range isn't too far off. I'd imagine it's easy enough to get to hiking spots --- and Holston Lake is right next door if you're a boater/swimmer.

Unfortunately, the area is very remote and isn't close to any large or mid-sized airports. I imagine it'd feel quite claustrophobic, especially if you wanted any kind of intellectual or cultural life. Might be worth a stop if passing through on I-81, but as for living in TN, I'd still stick to Memphis or Nashville. 2.5/5

Englewood, CO

Old 03-28-2023, 05:40 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It's a pretty interesting micropolitan area, with Bristol, TN and Bristol, VA being separated by a long street that runs along the state line. For the size of town it is, the downtown isn't too shabby --- at least two performance spaces, a good number of restaurants, and no visible blight. The town doesn't have the striking scenery some parts of Appalachia do, but the Ridge-and-Valley range isn't too far off. I'd imagine it's easy enough to get to hiking spots --- and Holston Lake is right next door if you're a boater/swimmer.

Unfortunately, the area is very remote and isn't close to any large or mid-sized airports. I imagine it'd feel quite claustrophobic, especially if you wanted any kind of intellectual or cultural life. Might be worth a stop if passing through on I-81, but as for living in TN, I'd still stick to Memphis or Nashville. 2.5/5

Englewood, CO
3.8 stars

At first glance it seems like a run of the mill middle class suburb in south metro Denver. It's a got pretty small foot print and seems like it blends into its neighboring cities like Littleton. A decent looking city center for a suburb that looks original and not one of those manufactured "towne centers". Well kept mid 20th century housing SFH housing stock. Appears to have light rail service at the edge of town.

Albuquerque, NM

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-28-2023 at 05:55 AM..

Old 03-28-2023, 06:20 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
3.8 stars

At first glance it seems like a run of the mill middle class suburb in south metro Denver. It's a got pretty small foot print and seems like it blends into its neighboring cities like Littleton. A decent looking city center for a suburb that looks original and not one of those manufactured "towne centers". Well kept mid 20th century housing SFH housing stock. Appears to have light rail service at the edge of town.

Albuquerque, NM
3.5/5

I see a lot of people here downgrade New Mexico's largest city because it's not as warm or as scenically situated as El Paso to its south. And I understand that parts of the city are pretty shabby. But I enjoy New Mexican fare (though I can't quite eat sopapillas the way I did when I went there in college), Territorial architecture floats my boat (it has some), and they are probably the biggest city on historic US 66 to properly honor the history of the highway (it runs through the middle of the city as Central Avenue). The city also did a very good implementation of bus rapid transit along that street.

Manhattan, Kan.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:46 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,895,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
3.5/5

I see a lot of people here downgrade New Mexico's largest city because it's not as warm or as scenically situated as El Paso to its south. And I understand that parts of the city are pretty shabby. But I enjoy New Mexican fare (though I can't quite eat sopapillas the way I did when I went there in college), Territorial architecture floats my boat (it has some), and they are probably the biggest city on historic US 66 to properly honor the history of the highway (it runs through the middle of the city as Central Avenue). The city also did a very good implementation of bus rapid transit along that street.

Manhattan, Kan.
2.7 Star
College town atmosphere since it has University of Kansas and also A Military Fort/Base nearby and several interesting museums and zoo, lots to do for it's size. And not too far from the Topeka-Lawrence-Kansas City "Metroplex" But Still A Small Town far from Major City's besides KC Tulsa and Omaha

Honolulu, Hawaii

Old 03-31-2023, 07:18 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
2.7 Star
College town atmosphere since it has University of Kansas and also A Military Fort/Base nearby and several interesting museums and zoo, lots to do for it's size. And not too far from the Topeka-Lawrence-Kansas City "Metroplex" But Still A Small Town far from Major City's besides KC Tulsa and Omaha

Honolulu, Hawaii

It’s paradise and I understand it’s actually pretty walkable. It leaves some to be desired when it comes to opportunities and COL, but nowhere is perfect.

Centennial, CO

Old 04-01-2023, 07:41 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post

It’s paradise and I understand it’s actually pretty walkable. It leaves some to be desired when it comes to opportunities and COL, but nowhere is perfect.

Centennial, CO
It gets a 4.5 out of 5.

A really nice suburb of Denver that is higher end, relatively safe, with many amenities in the city, with super quick access to Denver. Gorgeous views in some parts and the rockies are very closeby.

It's one of the better suburbs to live in overall, in the US.

Augusta, Georgia?

Old 04-21-2023, 06:43 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,954,550 times
3/5

Pros: Mild winters, nice springs/falls, relatively stable economy

Cons: Relatively high crime, summers, meh scenery

Overall, outside of a long weekend in April, Augusta pretty much flies under the radar outside of the region, with pretty average amenities and jobs for a metro its size. Not as transplant heavy as Savannah, not as working class as Macon, but I just view it as just your typical midsized Southern city having never been there.

Next: Flint, MI

Old 04-23-2023, 01:00 PM

460 posts, read 350,750 times
I'll give Flint 1.5 stars. In my experience it's not as bad as people people assume. Downtown has also had more investment than folks might realize. In better shape than cities like Gary. Also the water crisis didn't affect the entire city like a lot of people assume. All in all it's a struggling city but I don't think all hope is lost.

Next: Lake Forest IL

Old 04-23-2023, 05:49 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
I'll give Flint 1.5 stars. In my experience it's not as bad as people people assume. Downtown has also had more investment than folks might realize. In better shape than cities like Gary. Also the water crisis didn't affect the entire city like a lot of people assume. All in all it's a struggling city but I don't think all hope is lost.

Next: Lake Forest IL
I explored Chicagoland a good bit during my couple years of living there, and Lake Forest was one of the most major suburbs I never went to.

Based on some cursory research, I'll give it a 3/5. Looks like a perfectly functional suburb; has two Metra lines and a small but lively downtown. There is a good amount of Lake Michigan coastline, but if other North Shore towns are any indicator, it's primarily residents-only. The lawns are grotesquely huge even while most of the residents aren't doing anything interesting with the landscaping, and there's zero walkability outside the downtown. If I were raising kids in Lake County I'd try to be in Highland Park, Buffalo Grove, or perhaps Antioch.

The town I'm in right now: Jackson, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City