Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 05:45 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
*** – 3 stars because we may never know what's really happening in Area 51, but we damn sure want to find out.

Lawrence, Kan.
4 Stars.

I don't know much about Lawrence, KS, so I just did some research. From a geographical standpoint I like that it is only 40 minutes to Kansas City and only 30 minutes to Topeka. Therefore anything you might not be able to find in this smaller city is just an easy day-trip to one of those two larger metro areas. I like the vibrancy of the city's "Main Street' (Massachusetts Street). I like how tidy/organized the urban core's street grid is with numbered streets running east/west and streets named after states running north/south. There are a lot of lush tree-lined streets with quaint older homes in this part of the city. The city has a large university presence and is close to Clinton Lake.

I did not give this city 5 stars because I don't like its climate; its OVERALL geographical location in the country; and the fact that KS is a red state (I'm liberal).

NEXT CITY: Winchester, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 06:12 AM

457 posts, read 348,747 times
2 stars due to being to obscure to have an opinion on unless you're from the relative area.

Cincinatti OH?

Old 02-10-2023, 06:21 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
I'll give Cinci a 4 out of 5. It's my favorite of the C's. In a beautiful setting and one of my favorite built environments. Definitely one of the more underrated cities.

Tucson next

Old 02-10-2023, 07:03 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'll give Cinci a 4 out of 5. It's my favorite of the C's. In a beautiful setting and one of my favorite built environments. Definitely one of the more underrated cities.

Tucson next
4 out of 5

IMO the most scenic city in the Southwest with an awesome valley setting surrounded by foothills with slopes covered in saguaro cacti and mountain peaks.

Pros - Cheaper than Phoenix and slightly better weather. College town atmosphere, an ok downtown and vibrant 4th Ave. Amazing sunsets, Southwestern/Mexican food, Suguaro National Park

Cons - Lack of freeways, many parts of the city are not well connected to I-10, Slow economy and not benefiting from the tech boom in metro Phoenix, crime & poverty

staying in the Southwest
next Santa Fe, NM

Old 02-10-2023, 08:19 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
3.5 out of 5 (3 to live, 4 to visit)

Pros: Scenic, mild climate, lots of interesting history in its town with good shopping/dining for a city its size, has RoadRunner access to Albuquerque

Cons: In an isolated part of the country, not much of a non-tourism economy, expensive for what it offers

Next: Baltimore

Old 02-10-2023, 11:10 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
3.5 out of 5 (3 to live, 4 to visit)

Pros: Scenic, mild climate, lots of interesting history in its town with good shopping/dining for a city its size, has RoadRunner access to Albuquerque

Cons: In an isolated part of the country, not much of a non-tourism economy, expensive for what it offers

Next: Baltimore
3.5/5

Pros: Nice downtown, great waterfront, many historic neighborhoods such as Mt. Vernon, Canton and Little Italy. Decent 4 season climate. Decent public transit

Cons: Lots of blight and crime, downtown has a bad homeless problem. The Waterfront shopping is kinda dying and needs to be revitalizing. Corrupt politics.

Overall I actually like it, just wish it would reach its potential.

Raleigh NC

Old 02-10-2023, 04:03 PM

82 posts, read 52,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
3.5/5

Pros: Nice downtown, great waterfront, many historic neighborhoods such as Mt. Vernon, Canton and Little Italy. Decent 4 season climate. Decent public transit

Cons: Lots of blight and crime, downtown has a bad homeless problem. The Waterfront shopping is kinda dying and needs to be revitalizing. Corrupt politics.

Overall I actually like it, just wish it would reach its potential.

Raleigh NC
3.7/5

Pros: rapid population growth, multiple top universities located in the area which draw people in from around the country, solid job market, good location with proximity to other mid-size to large cities (i.e. Charlotte, Norfolk, Richmond, Greensboro/Winston-Salem) & a centralized location between DC & Atlanta, solid sports town (the best college basketball in the country w/Duke, NC State & UNC plus NHL’s Hurricanes), lower crime rate, ~2hrs from the coastline

Cons: boring downtown, lack of public transit, lack of nightlife outside of being a college town.

Overall a *meh* middle of the pack Southern city but it has some definite positives. One of the better state capital cities I’d say too. Pretty solid mid-size city, and a city that is rapidly growing in a region that is rapidly growing.

Newark, NJ

Old 02-10-2023, 04:16 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanksGiantsNets View Post
3.7/5

Pros: rapid population growth, multiple top universities located in the area which draw people in from around the country, solid job market, good location with proximity to other mid-size to large cities (i.e. Charlotte, Norfolk, Richmond, Greensboro/Winston-Salem) & a centralized location between DC & Atlanta, solid sports town (the best college basketball in the country w/Duke, NC State & UNC plus NHL’s Hurricanes), lower crime rate, ~2hrs from the coastline

Cons: boring downtown, lack of public transit, lack of nightlife outside of being a college town.

Overall a *meh* middle of the pack Southern city but it has some definite positives. One of the better state capital cities I’d say too. Pretty solid mid-size city, and a city that is rapidly growing in a region that is rapidly growing.

Newark, NJ
3.5/5, which I suspect is about one-and-a-half stars more than most people would give it. New Jersey's largest city may be largely impoverished, but it has some very strong bones, one of the best old ethnic neighborhoods in the country in the Ironbound, a full complement of big-city amenities (minus a full slate of pro sports teams), and a bunch of folks (including a stalwart corporate citizen) who continue to double down on its future. If Carl Dranoff, one of Philadelphia's biggest developers of luxury residential buildings, sees opportunity in downtown Newark, why should the rest of us write it off?

Kansas City, Mo.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:19 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
3.5/5, which I suspect is about one-and-a-half stars more than most people would give it. New Jersey's largest city may be largely impoverished, but it has some very strong bones, one of the best old ethnic neighborhoods in the country in the Ironbound, a full complement of big-city amenities (minus a full slate of pro sports teams), and a bunch of folks (including a stalwart corporate citizen) who continue to double down on its future. If Carl Dranoff, one of Philadelphia's biggest developers of luxury residential buildings, sees opportunity in downtown Newark, why should the rest of us write it off?

Kansas City, Mo.
4/5. Have not been there but it's always struck me as a very middle-of-the-pack major city --- but I do like major cities so I'll give it a 4. The economy isn't booming but it has every major sector and isn't declining. It's not a super dense city and there's a lot of sprawl in the city limits, but it's not a Phoenix- or Vegas-type city either. It's not like the Northeast Corridor or Chicago with many other cities close by, but it's not Idaho or North Dakota. There's as much diversity as anywhere else, but it's not Queens. It wouldn't be my first choice to move but it'd be top 5 in the Midwest. Wouldn't at all mind visiting one of these days.

Sitka, AK

Old 02-11-2023, 08:47 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
4/5. Have not been there but it's always struck me as a very middle-of-the-pack major city --- but I do like major cities so I'll give it a 4. The economy isn't booming but it has every major sector and isn't declining. It's not a super dense city and there's a lot of sprawl in the city limits, but it's not a Phoenix- or Vegas-type city either. It's not like the Northeast Corridor or Chicago with many other cities close by, but it's not Idaho or North Dakota. There's as much diversity as anywhere else, but it's not Queens. It wouldn't be my first choice to move but it'd be top 5 in the Midwest. Wouldn't at all mind visiting one of these days.

Sitka, AK

Sitka 3.5 Stars ***

2.9 Far and Isolated from All other Cities except maybe Juneau Alaska

3.0 for it's Summer Cruises and Cruise Ships

3.1 for it's Beautiful Pristine Nature

3.2 For it's Native American/Inuit History It's Russian American History including Sale of Russian Alaska to America and it's Naval and Military History

3.3 For Amount of things to doing relative it's small population size

3.4 Biggest City in America by Land Area. Larger than Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Antonio and Miami combined

3.5 it has A Volcano

Clearwater Florida

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 02-11-2023 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City